IGNORED

Is Youtube for everyone

I'm not certain this is a post for the forum. I would like to be able to put music up on youtube but I have no idea how to do this. There are millions of  people doing it obviously. I've done searches  without success. I also want to be able to download music that I hear on youtube to my HD so I can incorporate into my library. Searched that topic as well without success. Is youtube just for the special people or is it for everyone

thanks

Dunkinidaho

I can't answer the first part, but I use Freemake Video Downloader with Windows 10 to save music videos.

It works with most sites. You will have a choice of saving different video and audio resolutions, which may be as high as 4K resolution. When installing, make sure that you don't install some offered option that you don't want to use.

Alex

http://www.freemake.com/blog/freemake-video-converter-for-mac-to-be-or-not-to-be/

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

Dunkinidaho

I can't answer the first part, but I use Freemake Video Downloader with Windows 10 to save music videos.

It works with most sites. You will have a choice of saving different video and audio resolutions, which may be as high as 4K resolution. When installing, make sure that you don't install some offered option that you don't want to use.

Alex

http://www.freemake.com/blog/freemake-video-converter-for-mac-to-be-or-not-to-be/

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a look

18 hours ago, new_media said:

As far as downloading, the vast majority of videos on YouTube have heavily compressed audio, usually 128-160 kbps.

It's mainly a compromise between video resolution and audio resolution. The highest resolutions (1920 x 1080, and 4K) have lower audio bit rates, (125Kilobits) with 1280 x 720 having the highest audio bit rate at 187kilobits.

If you want both, and have a suitable video editing program, you can DL the highest resolution video provided, as well as the 1280 version. You can then extract the audio from the 1280 version ,and replace the lower bit rate audio in the higher video resolution version with it. 

Even after doing that you, will still hear the limitations of the fairly low bit rate .aac audio, and the compression used if you have better than average gear.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

It's mainly a compromise between video resolution and audio resolution. The highest resolutions (1920 x 1080, and 4K) have lower audio bit rates, (125Kilobits) with 1280 x 720 having the highest audio bit rate at 187kilobits.

If you want both, and have a suitable video editing program, you can DL the highest resolution video provided, as well as the 1280 version. You can then extract the audio from the 1280 version ,and replace the lower bit rate audio in the higher video resolution version with it. 

Even after doing that you, will still hear the limitations of the fairly low bit rate .aac audio, and the compression used if you have better than average gear.

Alex

Thanks Alex,   I only have interest in audio, no video. I've seen posting for a YouTube red. What is that

15 minutes ago, Dunkinidaho said:

Thanks Alex,   I only have interest in audio, no video. I've seen posting for a YouTube red. What is that

Hi Dunkinidaho.

I believe that you may be able to DL just the audio from the 1280 resolution video , at least with the Freemake software, although I haven't tried doing this. If you have suitable Video editing software, you can always DEMUX the Audio from the Video and save just the Audio part.

You could also try upsampling the saved audio to a higher bit rate  and depth, perhaps in LPCM, if you have suitable Audio software to see if that gives any improvement in SQ.

I am not across recent YouTube and VEVO changes, due to having had no Internet available for around 9 months.

I have quite a bit of catching up to do !

Alex

The easiest way to grab YoutTube videos is via a free website like keepvid (I think it's a .com address). Paste the YouTube URL into the blank, and it will give you download options. It gives you multiple resolution options as well as an audio-only download option.

However, the audio-only option usually is an mp3, while the vast majority of YouTube videos are encoded with AAC audio - meaning that if you download the mp3 it likely will have been converted from lossy AAC to lossy mp3, resulting in a loss of audio quality.

So unless the audio-only download lists an AAC option, I recommend downloading the highest-resolution video option keepvid gives you. From there it's fairly easy to save just the audio as a separate audio file. Be careful, though - a lot of free apps that claim to extract audio from video files don't actually leave the audio untouched; instead they reconvert it, which again reduces audio quality (unless they convert it to a lossless audio format like WAV, AIFF, FLAC, or ALAC).

One other tip: On a Mac - and maybe on a Windows PC too - if you just take the downloaded video file and change its ".mp4" file name suffix to ".m4a," most music players will play it as if it were an audio file. The only problem I've encountered with such files is that if you add one to your iTunes library (if you use iTunes), you can tag it but you cannot paste album artwork into it - if you do, it will seem to work, but then the next time you start up iTunes, the artwork will not show up.

Finally, as @new_media notes above, YouTube audio is unfortunately not great quality. There used to be a lot of YT videos with 192kbps AAC soundtracks, which I would describe as decent if not great. But now most of them, even the audio accompanying very high-res video, are only 128k AAC, which is not awful, but far from great either - clearly inferior to lossless quality on a good system.

Hope this helps!

1 minute ago, tmtomh said:

The easiest way to grab YoutTube videos is via a free website like keepvid (I think it's a .com address). Paste the YouTube URL into the blank, and it will give you download options. It gives you multiple resolution options as well as an audio-only download option.

However, the audio-only option usually is an mp3, while the vast majority of YouTube videos are encoded with AAC audio - meaning that if you download the mp3 it likely will have been converted from lossy AAC to lossy mp3, resulting in a loss of audio quality.

So unless the audio-only download lists an AAC option, I recommend downloading the highest-resolution video option keepvid gives you. From there it's fairly easy to save just the audio as a separate audio file. Be careful, though - a lot of free apps that claim to extract audio from video files don't actually leave the audio untouched; instead they reconvert it, which again reduces audio quality (unless they convert it to a lossless audio format like WAV, AIFF, FLAC, or ALAC).

Finally, as @new_media notes above, YouTube audio is unfortunately not great quality. There used to be a lot of YT videos with 192kbps AAC soundtracks, which I would describe as decent if not great. But now most of them, even the audio accompanying very high-res video, are only 128k AAC, which is not awful, but far from great either - clearly inferior to lossless quality on a good system.

Hope this helps!

It does help,  thanks 

tmtomh

I tried that just now using Freemake and ended up with ".m4a ,44100HZ , 3min 52s50,2ch"

I use QuickTime Pro (on a Mac) to extract the AAC audio from YouTube videos.

Choose File>Export>Movie to MPEG-4.

Then under the Options tab, choose "None" for video and "Pass through" for audio.

Change the extension of the resulting .mp4 file to .m4a and you're good to go.

(An m4a file is basically an mp4 with just the audio layer.)

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

@new_mediaThe easiest way to grab YoutTube videos is via a free website like keepvid (I think it's a .com address).

There used to be a lot of YT videos with 192kbps AAC soundtracks, which I would describe as decent if not great. But now most of them, even the audio accompanying very high-res video, are only 128k AAC, which is not awful, but far from great either - clearly inferior to lossless quality on a good system.

There is currently a push by copyright owners to block such sites.

Until earlier this year, Youtube used to max out at 192 kbps for 720 videos (lower for higher and lower video resolution), but all new uploads max out at 128 kbps. They are progressively converting older videos from higher res audio to 128 kbps max. Most videos appear to have 3 choices at maximum kbps: 160 kbps Opus, 128 kbps AAC, 128 kbps Ogg. 

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

As a matter of interest for Aussies .

Music Videos transmitted by A.B.C HD TV on the program "Rage" in Australia, not only look good, but sound WAY better than any YouTube music video . They even sound good if well recorded, with a high resolution system, and not over compressed !

From a saved video clip using a Teac HDB850 STB to USB memory :

"MPEG-4 -AVC,1920 x 1080,25 fps, 30000 Kb/s, MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2, 48000 Hz , 2ch"

(Source of info : TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5)

Eat your hearts out guys ! (grin)

The only downside is the Rage Logo just after the start of the video clip.

Alex

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

"MPEG-4 -AVC,1920 x 1080,25 fps, 30000 Kb/s, MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2, 48000 Hz , 2ch"

What bitrate does a player such as VLC report for the audio?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

24 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

What bitrate does a player such as VLC report for the audio?

48,000Hz 256 Kilobits

The other main difference here, is the greatly reduced amount of Audio compression in comparison with YouTube videos, and that although in mpeg 4 , the video is transmitted at 30,000 Kb/s.

Incidentally, for any interested Aussies :

The Playlist for Friday and Saturday nights can be found by Googling "Rage Playlists."

There can be as much as 11 and a half hours of continuous videos quite often, with New Releases, Predictions, Top 20, and videos chosen from the A.B.C.s extensive Vault by guest muso programmers.

Rage has been running continuously for 27 years !

Alex