IGNORED

Qs on Resolution Audio Cantata 2.0--New User, New Member

Hi Folks:

I have three questions on the Resolution Audio Cantata 2.0 Music Center (just picked one up). 

1. How do I get the Resolution audio iPhone/iPad app to talk to the system?

2. Can I use both analog outputs at the same time? There are balanced and unbalanced (single-ended) outputs on the back of the unit. I want to run each into a different input in my preamp. I can't see a reason why not, but I wanted to ask if there would be trouble. My reason: I want to create two signal paths: (a) direct to the pre-amp (a Simaudio P-5) and (b) indirectly running into a parametric equalizer from the Cantata, then to the preamp. "Why?" I hear you cry! "Direct connections with less junk in between components (for high end gear) is always best." Agreed, but I have sustained moderately serious high frequency hearing loss (as an amateur drummer for ~48 years, it happens, though I now use hearing protection). The parametric EQ has been a help in many cases when the source rolls off highs (example: red book CD of Dire Straits first album). In other situations, using a bypass switch on the PEQ dramatically degrades the signal quality. 

3. Can I use the CDP in the Cantata 2.0 to rip CDs to my computer (dedicated MacBook Air vintage 2011)?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can offer. FYI, I have left Qs 1 and 3 with Resolution Audio,  but they don't commit to return calls because of the high volume of questions and the idiosyncratic nature of each setup. I am deeply curious about all three questions. They refer Qs to this forum as an excellent source of help. Thanks again for anything you can offer on this.

Best Regards,

-Bruce 

My understanding is that Resolution Audio are a well respected company selling a premium product.  These seem basic questions which I would be very surprised if Resolution Audio or their dealers wouldn't be able and prepared to answer pretty much immediately for you, or indeed couldn't  be answered  from reading the user documentation.  Seems odd that you would be directed here by the manufacturer for what appears to be product-specific support, rather than generic CA matters.

Q2 seems  a basic question that could be answered immediately, else why not just try it?

As for Q3, unless Cantata is designed  as a ripper, I'd guess the answer is no.  

Norton: Thanks got your thoughts.  I do have a call and an email in to the manufacturer. I did not purchase from a dealer, but from a cable manufacturer who used it to demo their gear (at one show). Unless I'm desperate, I don't like to bother dealers from whom I have not purchased. The gear is truly amazing, and so is the design.  Sonically, the Mac-USB wired connection blows away my previous CDP/DAC setup (Marantz SA 8005 !+ modded Eastern Electric DAC. The product appearance  borders on sculptural. The documentation is, however, Spartan, to be kind. The site absolutely recommends several forums for questions. None of the questions I have asked are handled in the site FAQ,  or the documentation. They do commit to responding to questions via email and vm, but since they also specifically recommended computerudiophile, I thought I would give it a try. If your incredulity is not dampened by this response,  have a peek at the site. If you dig into the site, you see that they assert the gear is so versatile that the manual can't possibly cover all the possible hook-ups to various gear, which rings true for me. 

Best,

Bruce

It's a product that interests me so I had a quick look at the documentation, which  I agree is quite sparse for such a premium product.  There is no mention of a ripping function, so I'd presume that you can't use it to rip.  There doesn't  seem to be a switch to select an analogue output, so I'd guess it could output on both RCA and XLR simultaneously, but if you can't get an answer, you can just try it (AYOR!).

Norton (et al):

Spent 40 min. on the phone w/ Steve from Resolution yesterday! Super human being! He answered Qs as follows: 

1. The app works through the ethernet, not the Computer-USB connection to the Music Ctr. I will probably set up a bridge to a node (since I use Eero as my wifi network, which can't run ethernet from its nodes).

2. Yes! I can use both analog outs at the same time (balanced and single-ended. The design explicitly supports this. 

3. Ripping is not supported (too much add'l noisy circuitry (dedicated) would be req'd). 

Steve was great--he answered a few more Qs I came up with:

The Cantata 2.0 plays well with my gear (Creek 100a amp, Simaudio P-5/W-5--probably does best wioth the latter gear, but it's fine for the Creek in any case). Also, no sweat with my Totem Hawk speakers, but I need to have the current in the power amp to drive these well (agreed--big time--Hawks like a lot of juice, then they really sound fine). 

Yes, there's a new upgrade in the pipes, and coming soon. Version 3 will be "expensive," but sounds like it will be worth it. It will be a hardware and firmware upgrade. The upgrade will include, among other things, an analog source input (yea!).

My "loom" of Audience Au24SE cables is a good match to the Cantata.

Best to All,

-Bruce