IGNORED

Diana Krall's Turn Up The Volume in DSD128 Stereo

Here's an interesting one.

Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez has a DSD Download of Diana Krall's new album Turn Up The Quiet available for $24.98 as a Stereo DSD64 purchase. It's one of their top sellers.

However, when you get the DSD Download, it turns out to be a Stereo DSD128 download (!)
A nice bonus - unless you don't have DSD128 playback in your setup.

59ba90dc0a063_TurnUpTheQuiet.thumb.jpg.63bf7577136b9a56de6449727acb3b1a.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/126125/Diana_Krall-Turn_Up_The_Quiet-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

The website now says: "Sorry this product is no longer available" only offering the 192 and 96k versions.  

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

The DSD64 download page says

"DSD files were compiled by the mastering engineer Eric Boulanger at The Bakery in LA from original 24bit audio sources provided by the engineer and mixer Al Schmitt."

So what you get (if it becomes available again) is DSD files converted from a 24bit PCM recording

Claude

Out of curiosity only, as I don't use DSD, I tried to find out what tracks were on it, and the track titles.

Much to my surprise, I located a copy of the download.

No, I will not be downloading it though.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 years later...

I am looking to pick up this album, and am looking into the recording detiails.  Downloads are available in 24/96, 24/192 and of course the DSD which AS admits is a conversion from PCM.  I only play DSD 256 here, but I wonder what the original recording rate was.  I suspect it was 24/96, but am trying to figure it out.  Of course, it might be worth picking up the re-modulation to DSD, but only if the conversion was done really well.  As we rarely get to hear about how these conversions are done (which SRC software was used) I think I would rather pick up whatever was the native rate, and then let my system do the conversion.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

In the old Home Theater Geeks podcast, Scott Wilkinson interviews the mastering engineer for this recording. It has been awhile since I watched it but I recall him saying that the material he was sent to master was at 24/192. I am sure that the podcast is probably still up on you tube.

17 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

In the old Home Theater Geeks podcast, Scott Wilkinson interviews the mastering engineer for this recording. It has been awhile since I watched it but I recall him saying that the material he was sent to master was at 24/192. I am sure that the podcast is probably still up on you tube.

Thanks, I went ahead and downloaded the 24/192.  I know Al Schmidt used the Bricasti M7 for reverb and it is capable of running at 24/192, so perhaps they did keep the recording chain at 24/192...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio