IGNORED

Audiophile Earbuds

Pls. recommend tryly remarkable earbuds for listening to flac on my smart phone.  "Better than Bose,"  hopefully.  Thanks everyone.

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

Thanks, I have a Droid but I will check this out...

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

My first recommendation is always custom IEMs. I've been using them for years and will never use anything else. I've used Ultimate ears and currently have a pair from JH Audio. Not only to they sound fantastic, they have 26 dB of passive noise cancellation. I don't fly without them, whether or not I'm listening to music. 

In non-custom models, I really like the Sennheiser IE800. It's also pricey for most people, but I won't pretend to know how much you wish to allocate to this endeavor. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My first recommendation is always custom IEMs. I've been using them for years and will never use anything else.

Even though I have two pairs of expensive Noble Audio IEMs I use original iPhone buds as well sometimes. Yes, there is a difference in SQ, but I am happy with music which comes out.  

Beyerdynamic Byron earphones, with a mic and controls optimized for Android. I think they sound great, and am happy with them for music, videos, and phone calls. To me the sound has warmth, but the bass never swallows the mids and treble. The price is great too, about USD $50.

There are three models, one wired and two Bluetooth. The wired model probably offers better sound and less headaches than Bluetooth, but many go for convenience.

More expensive IEMs from Beyerdynamic, Westone, and others are probably overkill for the average smartphone, and often do not have mics, but on those that do have mics I've seen many complaints about the mics and cables...as if they were swapped in by product managers after the audio engineers went home. :-)

Unboxed-800px.jpg

box1-800px.jpg

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

I've been through many, many sets of earbuds, earpods and airpods, and ear-canal earphones.  The ear-canal types (IEMs), often confusedly described as "buds" or "earbuds", are often not only uncomfortable, but can cause many ears to stop up, particularly those with earwax issues.  The one post here that describes "Custom IEMs" (CIEMs) points to the issue of fit for outer ear comfort, but does not address the ear-canal issue.  The midrange of earphones, sound quality wise, are Earpods and Airpods, as made by Apple. I've gotten very good sound from them with EQ, but otherwise would not use them except for audiobooks or TV/radio etc. The bottom tier in earphones are the original earbuds - the little round things that Apple used to issue with their iPods, and better versions like the Monk-plus are available.  The expensive Yuin earbuds were a step up at one time, but the Monk is at least as good in my opinion, and only $5 USD.

BTW, the response you get with IEMs varies widely according to the eartips you use.

Thanks, I have a Droid but I will check this out... 

In-ears like headphones and speakers all have their own sound signature and my experience is that those difference have a very profound effect on how your music will ultimately sound. What I like to say by that is, what someone likes is not necessary what you or I would like. The same could be said about all audio equipment, but is more of a dividing issue with transducer IMO.

The absolute best is to visit a shop with a big collection if IEMs and listen for yourself as personal preference and how well it match with your source and ears is of big importance. If that’s not possible, some info about SQ preference, favorite type of music and other headphones or speaker that you have liked, and even more important not liked. Also is isolation important and how much are you willing to spend? Audeze for example have a new line of in-ears that are open back, which isolate very little.

Custom IEMs have the best fit and also a bit better sound, but keep in mind that the second hand value is very low for those.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses.  Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Had to add just one more to this Android list. Been very impressed with the 1More Triple Driver Earphones ($129 amazon). The included ear tips didn't fit so well and felt soft so I ordered the matching Comply ear tips which made a huge improvement in fit, YMMV.

The sound is by far the best I've heard in an earbud (only heard klipsch and bose and they're no comparison). The sound quality just keeps getting better with every improvement in source and recording.

Because of this, I feel I would have to make a huge upgrade to my LG V20 Sabre DAC (and USB DACs: NuForce uDAC-3 and Audioengine D1) to max these out.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of very good IEM's and CIEM's on the market.  If you will use just your phone, I strongly suggest at a minimum getting an Audioquest Dragonfly Red.  I have one of those as well as a Chord Mojo.  Mojo is a nice upgrade.  Macintosh is coming out with a new portable DAC/Amp that will have crossfeed in it. I love that feature.  I will probably get one to audition and review.

For IEM's, I have a pair of Noble Savant's.  I now am really liking the Empire Ears company.  The company is good size and have the best customer service I've seen (Noble's is also outstanding).  I will be getting a pair of reference Empire Ears next month.  They also come with outstanding cables, even for their less expensive ones.  What type of sound are you looking for?  How much do you want to spend?  I will say that Empire Ears has as good a customizing site as you will find. You can really make great looking ones.  Check them out and build a pair to see.  Very cool.

4 hours ago, ctsooner said:

There are a lot of very good IEM's and CIEM's on the market.  If you will use just your phone, I strongly suggest at a minimum getting an Audioquest Dragonfly Red.  I have one of those as well as a Chord Mojo.  Mojo is a nice upgrade.  Macintosh is coming out with a new portable DAC/Amp that will have crossfeed in it. I love that feature.  I will probably get one to audition and review.

For IEM's, I have a pair of Noble Savant's.  I now am really liking the Empire Ears company.  The company is good size and have the best customer service I've seen (Noble's is also outstanding).  I will be getting a pair of reference Empire Ears next month.  They also come with outstanding cables, even for their less expensive ones.  What type of sound are you looking for?  How much do you want to spend?  I will say that Empire Ears has as good a customizing site as you will find. You can really make great looking ones.  Check them out and build a pair to see.  Very cool.

I use Chord Mojo with a phone, and it gives a great sound through Noble Encores.

I have never seen an after market cable that has smartphone control buttons.  That would degrade teh sound quality.  I don't know of any of the iem makers who sell good ones with that type of cable. I'll ask though.  I do know that there are some bluetooth cables (Noble sells one) that you can use.  Maybe this are smartphone capable, but the SQ won't be great.

As for EE IEM's and cables.  I was told earlier today that they come with matched cables and even some of the real expensive after market cables may not sound as good as their stock cables.  That said, none of them have mic's.  Let me see what I can find out.

14 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I have never seen an after market cable that has smartphone control buttons.  That would degrade teh sound quality.  I don't know of any of the iem makers who sell good ones with that type of cable. I'll ask though.  I do know that there are some bluetooth cables (Noble sells one) that you can use.  Maybe this are smartphone capable, but the SQ won't be great.

As for EE IEM's and cables.  I was told earlier today that they come with matched cables and even some of the real expensive after market cables may not sound as good as their stock cables.  That said, none of them have mic's.  Let me see what I can find out.

Seems to me that a smartphone control which merely sends an electronic signal down the cable is not something that degrades the sound.  I would expect that an analog volume control in the cable would possibly degrade sound.  Best to check reviews of the cable.

7 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I never had one of Etymitc products, but heard they are ok. This one with controls: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/headset-earphones/hf3.html

Thanks. That one is for Apple products. I should have repeated that the OP has an Android, which is why I suggested the Beyerdynamic earphones I use. But good to know.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

1 hour ago, left channel said:

Thanks. That one is for Apple products. I should have repeated that the OP has an Android, which is why I suggested the Beyerdynamic earphones I use. But good to know.

Would it be Etymotic has a solution for Android as well? Again, I have no experience with audiophile cables with controls. I am pretty much comfortable with standard iPhone buds with controls for non-critical listening, and I would assume expensive Samsung or LG is on par with iPhone on this. But, if I want truly remarkable sound, I am looking for truly remarkable IEMs with dedicated cables. Or, to tell it differently, cables with controls are not a feature of truly good sound, imho. And I will want to pair a phone with better portable DAC.