IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

Thank you, both.  Perhaps the app and Roon on the iPad is the way to go.  Good have options.  

All minor stuff compared to the sound and compatibility.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 12/4/2018 at 5:48 PM, Marcel073 said:

I will.

As promised I would post my listening experience with the Kii Three with BXT module in one room and the Kii Three without BXT. I have to admit that in some songs there is a difference where the bass extended version clearly outperforms the standard version. The big question here is whether the addition of the BXT justifies the addition of 15k euro ...

Generally speaking, since there is a broad consensus that the Kii does extremely well with bass-rich music, we as audience (luckily only a group of 6) requested multiple songs with male and female voices in the higher end of the spectrum. And these also sounded fantastic.

So perhaps for me the result of Vivid speakers with class D amps, DACs etc. versus active speakers comes down to financial considerations only.

Thank you, Marcel.  Seems you have narrowed down the choices and will be happy with whatever direction you go.  As we know, long-term satisfaction is the goal.  

Just curious:  what is the total cost of the Kii three with the BXT modules?

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

In my home country (the Netherlands) they are priced as follows (per pair unless indicated otherwise):

- Kii Three: EUR 11k

- Kii Three BXT module: EUR 15k

These prices are for standard colors, i.e. white gloss or graphite grey. If you want a custom color then the prices are 12 and 17k respectively.

If you do not buy the BXT you may need stands that are priced 1k.

The Kii Three Control (single unit), which is essentially a wired control unit that acts as a pre-amp sets you back 1,5k.

So, one complete system with Control and BXT is EUR 27,5k.

If you are based in the US then pls check with a local distributor / sales rep as prices are significantly higher than calculated from the foreign exchange rate.

There are already a few threads on the topic of Kii Three.  Can we please reserve this thread for Mola Mola Makua/Tambaqui?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It will be interesting to hear feedback from actual owners. 

I got the following email from a dealer that I asked about the Tambaqui :

I spent the whole summer with it in prototype mode and you will see it is rather compact and comes in a nice flight case.  Therefore, I was able to take it around with me along with having clients bring their digital gear in.  I have heard it against the $90K+ MSB, dCS Vivaldi, Playback Design, Lampizator, D1 Esoteric, Mytek, Berkeley, Aqua , Weiss and a few more I am sure I am forgetting of course PS AUDIO and Auralic Vega.  In every case the Tambaqui was the sure favorite.  It is so lively and natural in the real sense.  There are no veils, there are no dynamic constrictions, there is no coloration, no electronic sound.  It is bigger sounding, more dynamic, truer to the natural scale and incredibly transparent.  It just sounds real and natural.  In my option there is no better DAC on the market whatsoever."

3 hours ago, yyz said:

I spent the whole summer with it in prototype mode and you will see it is rather compact and comes in a nice flight case.  Therefore, I was able to take it around with me along with having clients bring their digital gear in.  I have heard it against the $90K+ MSB, dCS Vivaldi, Playback Design, Lampizator, D1 Esoteric, Mytek, Berkeley, Aqua , Weiss and a few more I am sure I am forgetting of course PS AUDIO and Auralic Vega.  In every case the Tambaqui was the sure favorite.  It is so lively and natural in the real sense.  There are no veils, there are no dynamic constrictions, there is no coloration, no electronic sound.  It is bigger sounding, more dynamic, truer to the natural scale and incredibly transparent.  It just sounds real and natural.  In my option there is no better DAC on the market whatsoever."

As an owner, I agree with that.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

As an owner, I agree with that.  

Wondering if it sounds great out of the box or needs a little time to settle in.  Also curious if you have tried inputs other than the USB since I intend to use the ethernet input.  Thanks.  

1 minute ago, PYP said:

Wondering if it sounds great out of the box or needs a little time to settle in.  Also curious if you have tried inputs other than the USB since I intend to use the ethernet input.  Thanks.  

It sounded really good out of the box.  Can't say it sounds any different now.  I tried the optical from my TV cable-box.  The Ethernet isn't live just yet for Roon but it's coming.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

7 hours ago, yyz said:

I just received mine, fresh out of the box, WOW, eveything I had hoped for. 

Major leap in performance to my PS Audio Directstream DAC with Snowmass.  Increased clarity and dynamics with no digital harshness.

If this is like other digital I’ve owned,  in 500 hours it will sound even better.

Auditioned the the Makua with DAC board this Summer but I’m glad  I waited for the Tambaqui.

3 hours ago, Davidny said:

Major leap in performance to my PS Audio Directstream DAC with Snowmass.  Increased clarity and dynamics with no digital harshness.

If this is like other digital I’ve owned,  in 500 hours it will sound even better.

Auditioned the the Makua with DAC board this Summer but I’m glad  I waited for the Tambaqui.

Hi Davidny,

You say that you are glad that you waited for the Tambaqui.

I'm not sure if it was on this forum but I have read from more than one person that using the Makua pre-amp with DAC board instead of connecting the Tambaqui straight into Kaluga monoblocks improved the SQ. Assuming that the DAC board and Tambaqui DAC circuit are identical such SQ improvement - if it is really audible - has to result from other components in the Makua.

Interesting to read that you are actually stating the opposite.

Will you pls elaborate a bit further on this, i.e. your experience in comparing the Makua+DAC board versus the Tambaqui standalone?

What amp(s) and speaker did you use?

Thanks,

Marcel

6 hours ago, Marcel073 said:

Hi Davidny,

You say that you are glad that you waited for the Tambaqui.

I'm not sure if it was on this forum but I have read from more than one person that using the Makua pre-amp with DAC board instead of connecting the Tambaqui straight into Kaluga monoblocks improved the SQ. Assuming that the DAC board and Tambaqui DAC circuit are identical such SQ improvement - if it is really audible - has to result from other components in the Makua.

Interesting to read that you are actually stating the opposite.

Will you pls elaborate a bit further on this, i.e. your experience in comparing the Makua+DAC board versus the Tambaqui standalone?

What amp(s) and speaker did you use?

Thanks,

Marcel

Hi Marcel:

I can’t answer your question because I have not A/B’d the Makua preamp versus Tambaqui DAC.  But I’m a believer, to optimize sound quality, in using a preamp as opposed to using a DAC direct to an amplifier.  I already have a great preamp, an Audionet Stern.

if I had known it would take 2+ years for Mola Mola to introduce thier standalone DAC I would have bought a Makua with DAC board and just used it for the DAC board, bypassing the preamp functions.

To get an answer to your questions, I suggest that you call Bill Parish at GTT Audio, who is the US distributor for Mola Mola.  He really knows their products.  Fior example, I know he has been working directly with Mola Mola to help them perfect the Tambaqui over the past 6 months.

As far as I’m concerned the Tambiqui is a must hear, try product.  I will let others who do so speak to how it compares with all of the other “hot” DACs  on the market.

Since my personal preference is no preamp, and the Kalugas are working so well in my system, I find this statement from the Mola Mola website to be of interest:  This DAC, combined with a pair of Mola-Mola Kaluga monoblocks constitutes the finest digital replay chain available, irrespective of price. 

I don't attend hifi shows and have not heard competitive systems, therefore live music will be my reference.  

Wish the Tambaqui portion of this thread could be placed in its own thread...

As the Norwegian Mola Mola distributor I do not whish to comment on the Mola Mola sound compared to other brands as a see this as not accountable.

But since I received the first Tambaqui`s ten days ago I have compared it to the Mola Mola Makua with dac option which have been my reference the last year.

I compared the Makua/dac and the Tambaqui both connected directly to the Mola Mola Kaluga amps and a pair of the fantastic Swedish speakers Respons Magna Musicum.

I find the Tambaqui delivering a blacker background, better resolution, more threedimensional soundstage, better low level definition and a mor organic and flowing sound compared to the Makua/dac.  As said the Makua/dac was my reference, and this tells a lot regarding the Tamabaui`s qualities. I am not telling that the differences are enormous, but they are there, and for a "high-ender" they are important.

Up front the Tambaqui I have been using a Paul Pang music server with OCXO clocks on SSD`s and motherboard - Sotm SMS-200 Ultra Neo - Sotm tx-USBultra connected with PPA usb cables and Roon as playback software.

Since Roon have not implemented the Tambaqui in their approved list yet, I have not had the opportunity to compare the Sotm/usb frontend with the Tambaqui ethernet input, but I am looking forward to do this comparison.

Terje

Andervik Audio

8 hours ago, andervt said:

I compared the Makua/dac and the Tambaqui both connected directly to the Mola Mola Kaluga amps and a pair of the fantastic Swedish speakers Respons Magna Musicum.

Do you plug the Tambaqui and Kaluga amps directly into the wall outlet, or are you using a power conditioner?

GTT Audio is circulating a demo Tambaqui to prospective buyers for home audition in the USA.  Contact Bill Parish ([email protected]if you're interested.  USA price is $13,400.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Should have a demo Tambaqui this Friday.  Nice to have the long weekend for listening.  Will post impressions after it has settled in.  

Bill is a great guy.    

On 12/12/2018 at 8:19 PM, Davidny said:

This has got me very interested!

On 12/23/2018 at 8:35 PM, rickca said:

GTT Audio is circulating a demo Tambaqui to prospective buyers for home audition in the USA.  Contact Bill Parish ([email protected]if you're interested.  USA price is $13,400.

This has got me not interested!

I got to question, just like the Dave, what's inside to be worth $13,000+ for such a small box.

Clearly they aren't using large high quality transformers, which is always one of the biggest & legitimate cost factors in any high end hifi equipment.