IGNORED

About 5.1 speaker system for computer games.

Hi,

This is my first post here in this nice forum, I mostly play games and music on my computer and I want to improve my listening experience. I spend more money on audio than graphics part. I want to experience music and audio exactly the way the artist intended it to be heard. For that I'm considering upgrading the speakers.

I presently use Bose's Companion 3 Series ii speakers and I have been satisfied with it till now. But now I'm wanting more immersion in games. What 5.1 speakers would be best for me for computer games? The entire system occupies an area of a small cubicle or kiosk or sound listening booth. I was initially consider a B & W MT-60D but I thought it would be too much for such a small area, what would be the ideal room size for B & W MT-60D?

What 5.1 speakers would produce the best audio in such a small area without sacrificing on quality? Please don't suggest anything from Logitech or similar audio brands, I'm considering going for a separate 5.1 speaker system with a receiver? Or do you think I should increase the size of the area to accommodate a decent 5.1 speaker system? If so, what area size would you suggest.

Thanks

In an office cubicle sized space three unamplified kazoos in your mouth while clapping and stomping your feet would provide a sensory overload.  Five amplified speakers + subwoofer... buy a headset.  A gaming headset and a set of cans for music.  The physical size of a 5.1 speaker system and receiver is not conducive to your gaming station unless ceiling height is the largest dimension by a good bit.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

I was also initially considering headphones but then I thought they might damage my ears, so I decided against them. I can consider expanding the area to accommodate a 5.1 speaker and receiver, but I want to know by how much should I expand, what would be the ideal room size for 5.1 speaker system?

I was considering these speaker systems:

1. JBL Studio 270 floor standers, Studio 250P sub-woofer, Studio 225C center, Studio 210 surrounds (including HK receiver)

2. B & W MT-60D (most expensive one without receiver)

3. Onkyo HT-S9800THX 7.1(this costs as much as the JBL ones I mentioned above)

Which of these would be ideal for both games and music. These speaker companies are the available ones here in India, apart from Bose. I have an apprehension about JBL ones as the sub-woofer doesn't go to 20Hz and I feel that I might be missing something and can't experience what the artist intended without the full frequency range.

As this forum deals only in audiophile quality stereo, or mutlichannel, nobody here has much to say about gaming or home theater systems.  The last guy I remember with this set of requirements who asked here decided to go with a SUBPAC for bass lower than his setup could attain.  Sorry to say we will not be much help for a system without music as it's primary function.  

That said, you could look at a multichannel DAC.  Try looking around in the link below and see if it gives any help.

Pairing the cheaper option Kal mentions in the second post with a set of powered speakers with home theater potential might be a good choice for you.  Going full sized home theater sized equipment in that space is way too much.  I believe Hi-Vi Swans is available in your country.  The M20 or M60 5.1 sets may be a good fit for your varied use.  Both have more musical bass than loud inefficient rumbling subwoofers as found in home theater.

• 2 weeks later...