IGNORED

Roon Nucleus

Chris started a link for CEDIA showing the ROON NUCLEUS....this looks very interesting...

I was going to pass on the CEDIA show, but now i will go just to check it out...

Definitely worth it's own thread

I had to google....this looks very interesting, especially:

For those who care not for their local dealer, don’t need the fancy case or the linear power supply and wish to build their own NUC-based Roon server for quite a bit less cash, Roon will release their custom OS free of charge and detail the hardware purchases required do so.

Do you know if the OS and instructions are available now???

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/05/roon-announce-nucleus-server/

Roon Nucleus. 

IMG_20170907_155148.jpg

IMG_20170907_155152.jpg

IMG_20170907_155200.jpg

24 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

If it doesn't have AES3 out, or at least S/PDIF coax out, I am not interested. USB is evil and I want to be as far away from it as possible in my Roon Core/Endpoint device.

the article and part that i pointed out is they are giving the os away for free...install it on your own hardware.

Chris has a complete write-up (Check the Home Page of this site):

The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK) 

I am running an i5 version of the NUC with ROCK now.  It is fanless and the size of a couple of decks of playing cards.  It replaced a fanless, headless, win10 server with a SoTM tx-usb card and Audiophile Optimizer.  The NUC is much simpler to maintain (ie. no maintenance at all).  It sounds about the same, certainly not worse.  I like it slightly better. On the win10 server I preferred JRiver to Roon - even though I used Roon most of the time because I love the interface.  The i5 NUC runs on the same JS-2 linear power supply that was running the win 10 server and tx-usb card,

BobH

27 minutes ago, bobh3501 said:

I am running an i5 version of the NUC with ROCK now.  It is fanless and the size of a couple of decks of playing cards.  It replaced a fanless, headless, win10 server with a SoTM tx-usb card and Audiophile Optimizer.  The NUC is much simpler to maintain (ie. no maintenance at all).  It sounds about the same, certainly not worse.  I like it slightly better. On the win10 server I preferred JRiver to Roon - even though I used Roon most of the time because I love the interface.  The i5 NUC runs on the same JS-2 linear power supply that was running the win 10 server and tx-usb card,

Ok, thanks...found it on page 2...here is link...

To clarify, ROCK and ROON Nucleus are one in the same?

Also curious, once installed, will you have access to a unix interface (gui?) or will it load right into ROON?

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

You aren't getting it. I don't want to use USB at all in my playback chain. 

Don't all Roon endpoints use Ethernet? That is the standard way to attach to an Ethernet network. I want Ethernet in and AES3 out. 

you build your NUC with ROCK, connect it to your LAN and also connect a network bridge (examples: dCS network bridge, Bricasti M5) to your LAN. Voilà: ethernet in and AES3 out. 

5 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

You aren't getting it. I don't want to use USB at all in my playback chain. 

So don't use it.

Don't all Roon endpoints use Ethernet?

Not all but many.  You can use it for input and for output.

I want Ethernet in and AES3 out. 

Ah.  Your issue has nothing to do with USB.  You want AES3 (or S/PDIF) which this lacks.  Buy something else

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

So don't use it.

Not all but many.  You can use it for input and for output.

Ah.  Your issue has nothing to do with USB.  You want AES3 (or S/PDIF) which this lacks.  Buy something else

I won't....that is exactly what I said. 

I was was talking about network-attached Roon endpoints.

No. If USB worked as well as AES3 or S/PDIF, I would have no issues with using it. So my issue has everything to do with USB and the fact this supports only that for output to DACs. 

10 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

I won't....that is exactly what I said. 

I was was talking about network-attached Roon endpoints.

No. If USB worked as well as AES3 or S/PDIF, I would have no issues with using it. So my issue has everything to do with USB and the fact this supports only that for output to DACs. 

I would guess, but don't know for sure, that you can use the free ROCK os on your own hardware and customize it to use whatever output you want....the free os i don't think will dictate what interface you have to use.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:50 AM, bobh3501 said:

How do you find the JS-2 powering the NUC (vs stock switching supply)? Is it worth while upgrade? I am very interested in your opinion, since I am deciding weather or not to embark on Intel NUC+ROCK+LPS route.

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

7 hours ago, Kritpoon said:

How do you find the JS-2 powering the NUC (vs stock switching supply)? Is it worth while upgrade? I am very interested in your opinion, since I am deciding weather or not to embark on Intel NUC+ROCK+LPS route.

I had the JS-2 before I switched to NUC/ROCK.  I originally bought it for the win10 server (12v)/SoTM USB card (9v) I used with JRiver.  It looked very nice in my rack - no transformer dongles or thin plastic cables overcomplicating the area behind my rack.  I also thought it had a positive impact on the sound.  It is now running the NUC and the wireless switch in my home office.  I don't think I would buy it new specifically for the NUC unless you have a solid use for the second output - I believe there are other cost effective choices for a single output (NUC).

BobH