IGNORED

Review: DC power supplies for AQVOX audio grade switch

I used to have the AQVOX switch and I only tried its supplied PSU and a TP-link power bank. The battery bank was clearly better and for a cost of onky $20, it's a great bargain. Another significant improvement,  I got is when I  grounded  the chassis to an external grounding box. 

3 hours ago, toetapaudio said:

Yeh thanks Moses, I'm interested in trying some grounding boxes, maybe the one made by CAD?

Aqvox have told me that they are introducing a better version to sell in parallel to the  original. It will be more money of course, probably in the region 600/800 €?

You used to have the switch?

Obviously they found a niche market that no one else is addressing till now.

3 hours ago, mozes said:

Obviously they found a niche market that no one else is addressing till now.

Waversa and Jcat.

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

4 hours ago, afrancois said:

Have my AQVOX powered by an LPS-1.  Having very good results.

I also have separate LPS-1's for the ISO Regen and the sMS-200ultra.

An extra LPS-1 is underway to power the MC3+ USB.

LPS-1's are powered by another LPS or by the sPS-500.

Hi francois

Thats a lot of LPS1's. How do you find it compared to the sPS-500?

1 hour ago, toetapaudio said:

Hi francois

Thats a lot of LPS1's. How do you find it compared to the sPS-500?

It's probably a bit too early to tell. The sPS-500 isn't burned in and with the standard cable, I find it not as good as the LPS-1. Perhaps with the Ghent cable things will change for the better.

Yes, 4 x LPS-1 in total I will have (already 3 now). This means that all the streaming parts will be completely isolated from the AC.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, toetapaudio said:

The ps used were as follows:

King Rex

Uptone LPS1 with feed as supplied

Uptone LPS1 with 12v MCRUS feed

Uptone LPS1 with 12v Sbooster

I was intrigued by this aspect of your review.  You are comparing results of using the LPS-1 with three different power supplies as the LPS-1 'energiser'.  My understanding is that the output of the LPS-1 is totally unaffected by whatever is used to energise it.  However, you are claiming the LPS-1 with Sbooster performs best of the three, and all this is with the LPS-1 powering the switch.  Can I ask what discernible differences you are hearing, how you would describe the differences?  Looking at this technically I can only think that any differences will be due to whatever the 'energisers' are feeding back into the mains?  Which leads to the question of how your system is set up.  For example, do you have other sensitive audio components plugged into the same mains spur that is powering the LPS-1?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

4 minutes ago, Confused said:

I was intrigued by this aspect of your review.  You are comparing results of using the LPS-1 with three different power supplies as the LPS-1 'energiser'.  My understanding is that the output of the LPS-1 is totally unaffected by whatever is used to energise it.  However, you are claiming the LPS-1 with Sbooster performs best of the three, and all this is with the LPS-1 powering the switch.  Can I ask what discernible differences you are hearing, how you would describe the differences?  Looking at this technically I can only think that any differences will be due to whatever the 'energisers' are feeding back into the mains?  Which leads to the question of how your system is set up.  For example, do you have other sensitive audio components plugged into the same mains spur that is powering the LPS-1?

Hi Confused

I have to say the differences between using various energisers, was not great and I preferred the King Rex supply directly to the switch until I used the Sbooster as energiser for the LPS1. Given the extra cost of the LPS1 plus Sbooster, and the subtle difference, the KR direct would be my recommendation. However, I would have liked to try the Sbooster directly but unfortunately I didn't have a 5v version to hand. I hope to try this one and some others soon.

I have found LAN in on port one and out on seven ( eights not working for some reason?) plus grounding the switch, to have a bigger impact on SQ than the above experiment.

As regards my mains arrangements, I have separate spurs for each component except for the switch, unfortunately, which is plugged into the normal ring main. I did try attaching a spur to the ps feeding the switch and I can confirm this made a audible improvement. My intention is to have a better supply to the switch when I  introduce a balanced isolating transformer into the system at some time soon.

AQVOX will be introducing a upgraded switch shortly and I believe this will be available for a home trial and money back guarantee. My favourite cable manufacturer, Hi Diamond, are coming out with a LAN cable which I'm hoping will be even better than the AQVOX and Vovox cables I am using at the moment.

14 hours ago, toetapaudio said:

Enlighten please.

Waversa sells an "high end" switch battery powered, both for ethernet and USB.

Jcat a more cheaper one, based on the same model than the Aqvox, but cheaper (a good external PSU is recommended with this one, not with the Aqvox)

I'm guessing we'll see lots of these gizmos in the close future if they have some success. Same as the USB decrapifiers for the last 2 years...

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

On 9/9/2017 at 4:12 PM, toetapaudio said:

I have found LAN in on port one and out on seven ( eights not working for some reason?) plus grounding the switch, to have a bigger impact on SQ than the above experiment.

That's interesting.  I've seen from a Paul Pang switch recommended setup diagram (not sure if it came from Paul Pang or the distributor in my region) - it also put the in and out at the furthest ports.  Perhaps to reduce some sort of interference?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, wklie said:

That's interesting.  I've seen from a Paul Pang switch recommended setup diagram (not sure if it came from Paul Pang or the distributor in my region) - it also put the in and out at the furthest ports.  Perhaps to reduce some sort of interference?

I think this is likely due to QoS which prioritizes the first and the last port. Input on port 1 and output on last port makes a big difference to SQ on both my Aqvox switch-8 and on D-Link DSG-105.

🎛️  Audio System  

On 2017-09-09 at 10:12 AM, toetapaudio said:

My favourite cable manufacturer, Hi Diamond, are coming out with a LAN cable which I'm hoping will be even better than the AQVOX and Vovox cables I am using at the moment.

If you are curious I can highly recommend the Ghent Audio ET02 which is by far the best ethernet cable that I have tried with the Aqvox switch-8. I have a 15 cm version between Aries Mini and Aqvox and a 50cm version between Aqvox and TP-Link RE450 (as a wireless adapter).

🎛️  Audio System  

17 minutes ago, toetapaudio said:

Thanks Cornan, some interesting lines for me to follow up.

Your welcome toetapaudio! :)

Another thing to consider is to power the BT Infinity hub with a floating PSU and if you are listening to cloud content use another one for your main router (router is not as important if you listen to local content, but still important).

Using AC mains starquad cables & DC starquad cables will reveil those positive changes even more, but that is another story.

🎛️  Audio System  

Cornan - You are so right about the proper way to connect ethernet cables to the Aqvox switch, and maybe other switches, too.    Reading your comment today, I checked my Aqvox switch and found the ethernet cables were randomly connected and Ports 1 and 8 were not used at all.   After changing the cables (router input cable to port 1, output to a UltraRendu to port 8) I was gobsmacked at the difference.  Music is so much clearer now and the depth is amazing.  It's almost like a bought a new component.  Who knew the connection order could make that much difference?  

I didn't find any connection instructions with the product literature but did email Aqvox today to suggest that they include connection advice with the switch.  Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this information and your other experiences tweaking your audio system.  You are on the leading (bleeding) edge here....

Bruce

6 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Cornan - You are so right about the proper way to connect ethernet cables to the Aqvox switch, and maybe other switches, too.    Reading your comment today, I checked my Aqvox switch and found the ethernet cables were randomly connected and Ports 1 and 8 were not used at all.   After changing the cables (router input cable to port 1, output to a UltraRendu to port 8) I was gobsmacked at the difference.  Music is so much clearer now and the depth is amazing.  It's almost like a bought a new component.  Who knew the connection order could make that much difference?  

I didn't find any connection instructions with the product literature but did email Aqvox today to suggest that they include connection advice with the switch.  Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this information and your other experiences tweaking your audio system.  You are on the leading (bleeding) edge here....

Bruce

Thanks! Great to hear Bruce! ?

The funny thing is that if you want to use Ethernet caps/noise stoppers/enhancers they are most effective plugged into port 4 and/or 5. They make more difference there than when plugged into port 2, 3 and 7.

Make sure to ground the switch, preferably to a grounding box which makes the best improvement. Otherwise just choose a "clean" ground that do not interfearences with your audio and use silver wires for the connection (ex. Water pipe or ESD AC mains grounding plug) or the turntable GND screw if you have any. Properly done this trick is as effective as using the port I/O 1+8.

Happy tweaking! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, toetapaudio said:

I agree with Cornan about grounding making as much difference as using port 1 and 8. I hope to be trying a CAD grounding box soon.

Please do report back your findings with the CAD grounding box! :)

Another thing, maybe needless to say, is that starquad DC cables to Aqvox switch-8 makes a great improvement as well. Even DIY with Canare 4S6 and screw terminal DC2.1/5.5mm plugs.

I have a bunch of special made versions from Ghent Audio with Oyiade plugs and JSSG (John Swenson Shield Ground) Faraday type shield (shield not connected to the plugs and with a drain wire attached to both ends of the shield) on the way that will be interesting to compare to my unshielded DIY versions. Note that my cables have 4mm banana plugs since I use Gophert csp-3205II floating PSUs.

I will report back if it improves (or not) upon the Aqvox switch-8.

image.thumb.png.0a00c07e0b72f745f1b835f7672ff690.pngimage.thumb.png.28c0733647ee43e7d1552cb752f760c3.pngimage.thumb.png.052bac521304276fb70d2188dba45ea4.png

🎛️  Audio System