IGNORED

Fidata HFAS1-S10U Network Audio Server

Fidata review here:

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/fidata-hfas1-s10u-network-server

Thought you might like to know about this fairly new fidata network audio server. I have been the using the fidata for the last 6 months and find it excellent. I know it is expensive (£5900) but it is top flight and compares well with even more expensive alternatives.

If you are considering a top flight server than you should definitely put the fidata on your list in my opinion.

USB output to a DAC. Ethernet input from router and out to network audio player. Overall plan dimensions exactly the same as Lumin A1/U1/S1 streamers. For Lumin owners using the L1, the fidata is a big step up in performance. On off button on the front panel with white led. Brushed silver. Case made from thick plates of aluminium. It looks classy and sounds amazing.

28 minutes ago, toetapaudio said:

We have a demo unit available.

So are you a dealer?  Where are you located?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hmm, briefly reading through the article, it sounds like the Fidata is basically a NAS  and media server in same box with an internal Ethernet network, is this correct?. One of the dislikes I've had with most " all in one" players is that they rely on direct electrical (SATA) access to the drives vs using network isolation. There's also something to be said for having a local hardwired network where there's no other device contention affecting bandwidth/jitter and all hardware is optimized for playback.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi davide

I hear what you say, the fidata is for those seeking a really simple top performing solution without too many extra little boxes. I have yet to hear a better solution honestly. I know someone who has access to every top server and he is using a £150,000 system to evaluate and has found the fidata to be preferred to all of them.

6 hours ago, jaspal kallar said:

Will the fidata with Roon

You can connect to a Roon compatible streamer like Lumin through using a Ethernet cable connected to the fidata. Another Ethernet cable goes from the fidata to your hub or switch.

The digit output from the streamer (such as the Lumin U1) either goes to the dac, or if the streamer has a built in dac, like some of the Lumins (D1, T1, A1, S1) connect  the analogue out either directly to the power amps or through the line inputs of a preamp.

For playing back downloads stored on the fidata you use the USB type A output to type B input on a suitable dac or pre/dac. 

• 4 months later...

Hi  Matt

I have not listened to the XS20U but I know somebody who has compared it to the S10U. It’s slightly better sounding, has 2TB storage instead of 1TB and costs around  £8k vs £6k.

I hope fidata is going to Munich. I’ll check and let you know. Mola Mola and Boenicke will be exhibiting. See you there.

wwwtoetapaudio.com

Robert

So am I correct that this product is a NAS for $8,200?  You mention that it compares well to more expensive alternatives.  I can't think of any more expensive audio dedicated NAS brands.

What baffles me is why at that price level they use two very noisy (150mV/RMS) $27, off-the-shelf TDK-Lambda switching power supplies--with the attendant AC leakage that comes with those.

6.thumb.jpg.8d44a66f33f0981931745a63d7583827.jpg

45 minutes ago, Superdad said:

So am I correct that this product is a NAS for $8,200?  You mention that it compares well to more expensive alternatives.  I can't think of any more expensive audio dedicated NAS brands.

What baffles me is why at that price level they use two very noisy (150mV/RMS) $27, off-the-shelf TDK-Lambda switching power supplies--with the attendant AC leakage that comes with those.

There's only two of them, perhaps they are wired opposed to cancel the noise O.o

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

In my view a bit disturbing is that they use in the more expensive model a "linear power conditioner" so they admit indirectly that there is a noise issue with the cheaper model.

An excellent power supply in this price range is a must.

But SMPS per se are not bad. Linn and Lejonklou use them with great success.

BTW, there are some informations from another forum:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23826-Fidata-HFAS1-S10U

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

It is rather meant to be an integrated server + renderer solution with dedicated, low noise USB output, I understand. Something like a Melco or like an ultraRendu with local storage. I would like to see more devices of this kind, with certification for a standard Linux distribution and with different output options: USB, S/PDIF, I2S, etc. For me, it is mandatory that a device like the Fidata can be accessed via ssh and rsync and can run MinimServer. If a device does not fulfill these requirements, I would never buy it, independently of its price.