IGNORED

400 GB micro SD Card

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Very cool and +1 on hoping that the support comes to devices soon. 

Timely too as I currently have a Pioneer XDP-300R high res music player (with 2 * 200gb micro SD cards) and my HTC 10 phone for, well, phone duties :P 

Been reading the reports of the upcoming LG V30 phone with decent ESS DAC and MQA support with interest. The prospect of ditching carrying two devices for one, but retaining excellent audio ability is certainly intriguing. This 400gb memory card would also close the storage gap. Assuming Android/LG roll out support. 

I'll be keeping an eye on this. Thanks Chris for the heads up. 

Regards, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

MicroSD cards are my most favourite storage media. I am shy away from USB drives and SD cards. Currently I use 128GB microSD card for my favourite music videos and tracks and mount always on my laptop using SD card adaptor. To prevent contamination and accidents, the card is write protected. At 85MB/sec, it's very fast. 512GB microSD card will be perfect as it can store all my collections. MicroSD provides maximum portability between different devices.

I think the limitation of microSD card storage limit is something to do with patent licensing. I suspect Micro$oft charges patent licensing fees based on storage limit. Otherwise the limit should be 2 tera bytes.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to install Windows 10 on an SD card, using a sd card reader in a pc?

My hearing is very sensitive for high frequency sound and I noticed this anoying sound is coming from my ssd.

I’m looking for a way to solve this and an SD card would be perfect for my low power server. 512GB would be enough for me.

On 9/3/2017 at 1:04 PM, plissken said:

Good luck on finding devices outside of laptops/desktops supporting this capacity. 

Awesome none the less. 

If the device, say an Android phone, supports the microSDXC format, then why would there be any problem?

Many Android devices erroneously list an arbitrary "limit" to the capacity of a microSDXC card compatibility, sometimes 64GB is specified, sometimes 128GB etc...

But if you load a 200 or 256GB microSDXC card into that phone? It works just fine, in every instance I've tried, no firmware update necessary.

I've heard this explained in a couple of different ways, one is that the device manufacturer only tested the device with a certain capacity card and so that is the limit they are willing to list in the specs as tested/confirmed.

Another explanation is that when that particular device first became available (take for instance a Galaxy Note 2 circa 2012 or so), the largest microSDXC card then available was just 64GB, so thats what they list as the capacity limit even though the SDXC format technically includes capacities up to 2TB (someday).

A friend has the Galaxy Note 2 still kicking around, he was told emphatically that 64GB would be the capacity limit. I sent him a 200GB SanDisk card and sure enough, it worked just fine with no firmware revision needed.

The last possible explanation for this confusion is a bit more troubling/insidious, that being the device manufacturer wants to sell you the more expensive version that has the built-in higher capacity, so they intentionally mislead about what the microSDXC capacity limit is in an attempt to get you to buy their 64GB model device instead of the 32GB model.

So more than just laptops desktops will support this capacity if recent history holds true, Android devices specifying 64 or 128GB microSDXC capacity limits would very likely work fine with a 400GB card, just as they do with 200 and 256GB cards unless the device manufacturer is being deliberately jerky and placing arbitrary limits via the firmware.

16 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

Is it possible to install Windows 10 on an SD card, using a sd card reader in a pc?

My hearing is very sensitive for high

works greatfrequency sound and I noticed this anoying sound is coming from my ssd.

I’m looking for a way to solve this and an SD card would be perfect for my low power server. 512GB would be enough for me.

http://uk.pcmag.com/operating-systems-and-platforms/88253/feature/how-to-run-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive

no problem at all

works great

Thank you @TubeMan, very interesting. The first question that comes to mind is wether you can install software besides apps the article is refering to. And if so, will it be suitible to run hqplayer upsampling in pcm. Last but not least, will there be an improvement in sound or at least be free of the anoying hf sound ssdcards have.

Will experiment a little bit next weekend when there’s more time.

• 1 month later...

282GB of music on my phone and 80GB capacity to spare - happy days! :D

image.thumb.png.8920271ab3fd57e8f9605a9e90d849ce.png

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

5 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

282GB of music on my phone and 80GB capacity to spare - happy days! :D

image.thumb.png.8920271ab3fd57e8f9605a9e90d849ce.png

Which phone do you use? I ask because many previous posts had stated there would be device firmware updates or even Android official support needed for these 400GB cards.

Thats not been my experience since at least Android 5, with both the 200 and 256GB microSDXC cards been plug and play/fully compatible with various devices from Moto, LG, Samsung etc... and I suspect the same is true with the 400GB capacity. Testing/end-user reports like yours are very valuable to other members considering this purchase but worried about compatibility.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

LG v30. No issues with the card size. Accepted it immediately. 

I was an HTC man for my last few phones but the V30s high quality DAC and MQA support was a winning combo for me. Sounds great too.