vortecjr

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of the microRendu / ultraRendu

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, romaz said:

Paul Pang rightfully deserves credit for much of the clocking inspiration discussed on the other thread just as SOtM’s original sMS-100, which came out in 2014 and which you so proudly sold deserves credit as inspiration for the microRendu.

You obviously don't know the history between Sonore and SOtM:) Who do you think licensed the main board and operating system to SOtM for the sMS-100? We did. What you should be asking yourself is why their current OS has a lot of the same features found in SonicOrbiter OS.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:25 PM, diecaster said:

PS Audio is releasing new FPGA code next week sometime for the DirectStream that is supposed to be a real step up in sound quality.

Great news! Thanks :) more free goodies

4 hours ago, romaz said:

Do you mean machinations like getting an i5 or i7 sonicTransporter, following it with an ultraRendu with a high quality LPS, a switch that blocks noise caused by high impedance leakage, a well made USB cable, and HQPlayer?  And then a setup with Roon, Audirvana or JRiver and using it to feed a quality DAC?  My Uncle Bo Jangles, who has a PhD in Swahili, believes digital is purely about 1s and 0s thinks that your massively complex spaghetti chain is indeed stunning in its craziness.  Who should I believe, him or you?

And just how did you come up with this “golden” recipe?  Was it fed to you by your unbiased guru?  Did you bring out your Audio Precision APx555 and generate exhaustive comparative measurements and perform extensive double blind testing using a randomized group of listeners?  Or like the rest of us, did you listen with your ears and you liked what you heard?

As for your comment that 99% of observations reported on the other thread are "expectation bias," this is a bit harsh and presumptuous, don’t you think?  The posters on that thread are advocating things like low noise, low latency endpoints, quality PSUs, well shielded cables based on principles by John Swenson, and isolation network switches and 99% of these people’s findings are due to expectation bias? 

I'm not certain if you thought I had posted this, but he is a CA member giving his opinion. We know you are putting a lot of time into your solution. However, this thread is intended to provide alternate information and not intended to be a ping pong match.

15 hours ago, romaz said:

Jesus, thank you for your post.  Measurements are always welcome.  A few comments though.

First of all, what is a “mild stone?”  I’m not sure I ever used that term but it’s also not unusual that you’ve taken things I have said and twisted them around or used them out of context.  One only has to look at your posts on the Mutec Ref10 thread to understand what I’m talking about.

Second, you can call the other thread a “fairy tale” or whatever you want to call it in public.  After all, we’re all grown, mature individuals and I would like to think we have thick enough skins to be constructively critical of one another but this certainly is in contradiction to your opinion of this thread last year when you e-mailed me asking for my thoughts on how you might sell more microRendus.  I can share that e-mail here if you wish.

Third, I’m not sure I can interpret what your measurements are really saying.  First of all, your comparisons of your mR against some i5-based machine that’s not the NUC I have been testing really doesn’t say anything.  What if I brought my current NAA along with a Raspberry Pi to Audio Precision and found that my NAA measured better than a Raspberry Pi?  Should I then assume that because both a Raspberry Pi and your ultraRendu use ARM processors that my NAA is better than an ultraRendu?

NUCs are now in their 8th generation and they have steadily improved with time.  Intel’s CPUs have progressively become more efficient, consuming less power and often incorporating larger CPU caches.  The better models are using higher quality LAN and USB chipsets and they now uniformly incorporate an SoC architecture where both LAN and USB have unhindered, low latency access to the CPU.

Lastly, I’m not really advocating just a late-generation NUC.  What I’m suggesting, based on repeated observations that are now being replicated by others is that the combination of a certain late-generation Celeron NUC and the latest version of headless AudioLinux is sounding really really good.  Whether this combination is better than a microRendu or ultraRendu will always be debatable since there is no accounting for personal tastes but because this NUC/AudioLinux combo is so inexpensive, the comparisons will be inevitable and you may be surprised by what some of your own minions think.  Ultimately, I have no skin in this game.  I am not trying to convince anyone of anything and I am not trying to sell anything.  Like many here, I have merely expressed my observations.

First, I'm referring to that thread as whole. I don't have to twist anything around because that thread is already twisted all on its own.

Second, you are in my sponsored section and I do not appreciate you threatening me. I will post the email below for transparency because I have nothing to hide. I contacted you and said I was interested in what was going on. I was having trouble catching up because the thread was a mess. Andrew added the scheme to his servers because the solution is useful in some cases. For example: You can use one Ethernet home run for two devices. Unfortunately, you are connecting a noisy unit to a clean unit and that is not an optimal solution from that perspective. I tested the like here and was not impressed. I then qualified that my interest is in the microRendu and not in the server. I then asked you about your thoughts in general. If you had some doubts about any of that you should have emailed me and not speculated in a pubic forum.     

Email from me to Roy from May 06, 2017:

"Roy, I have been watching your posts on CA. Interesting stuff for sure. The thread has become very long and hard for me catch up. What is the current line of thinking? I showed Andrew at Small Green Computer the thread and he modified his servers to have dual ethernet. Right now it's hard to say how much interest there in these things, but people do seem to like what they hear. If anything it makes for a clean installation for those wanting to have the server in the audio room. I'm more interested in the business end of things with the microRendu. What are you thoughts on that?" 

Third, I can test these things, but don't have time to test every solution people propose. Also, what simplifies me having to is the fact that we make a great solutions right out of the box.

Finally, I have no skin in the NUC and even less interest in it...so its all yours.

4 hours ago, romaz said:

Jesus, those audiophiles on the other thread that you are denigrating are some of the same audiophiles that were saying “OMG,” “WOW,” and “massive improvements” on your own thread when the microRendu first came out.  Your microRendu was indeed a landmark piece when it first came out and I remain a proud and happy owner of my microRendu.  If you are successful in creating a product that creates “goosebumps” as you are so fond of saying, then the predictable response will often be shock and awe.  This is after all a hobby of passion but of course, as a businessman who has benefited financially from this passion, you know that.

I don't recall saying that. I know you want to respond... 

Let me be clear about this....I will not apologies for having this business, working very hard at it, and making money.  BTW I really do this for fun and because I like the challenge.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:45 PM, Dev said:

Not true. Music s/w like Roon constantly access their local storage (SD card for microR) to update their database, playlist, history, logs, etc.

I think nobody claimed micro/ultra operated in an inferior manner. What I think is happening is with today's low power, off-the-shelf, turnkey PC design far outweighs custom design that was done years back. This is simply technology advancement. All we need is to accept it, move forward and build something that again out-weights off-the-shelf design.

Dev, we don't run Roon on the Rendu series. I have to disagree with you because I'm not seeing anything in modern off the self hardware that would make me move to it. The design goals set in place for the Rendu series can't be filled with modern off the shelf hardware. We have a specific criteria about what we want with regards to our power circuits, component selection, component distribution, clocking, and software / hardware integration. We don't rush to market every season for the sake of doing it, but don't you worry that doesn't mean we are standing still:)         

BTW I deleted a post yesterday because it recommended a test that could result in a corrupt operating system. This is not a DIY thread and the Rendu is a commercial product with warranty so please be careful with your suggestions.