IGNORED

TAD speakers - owner opinions

I visited the High End show in Munich this year and was absolutely delighted by the sound I heard in the TAD room (TAD stands for Technical Audio Devices, the luxury arm of Pioneer). IMHO, the best sound at the show, especially relative to the price of the speakers.

In fact, I liked what I heard so much that I just reserved a pair of TAD Micro Evolution 1 monitors with matching stands in order to replace my Dynaudio's. This is a new model from TAD, released this year, and is marketed towards audiophiles with smaller houses and apartments that cannot accommodate floorstanding monsters. Despite their size - the ME1's play in the major league. The ME1 sound is very neutral and perhaps just a tad on the warm side, but extremely musical and involving, and if I may say, completely magical. The Reference One, on the other hand, is the very definition of neutrality.

I am interested in what other TAD owners have to say about their experiences with the brand. I think I read somewhere that the owner of this forum owns a pair of TAD's (not sure which model), so it would be interesting to hear his observations too.

I find TAD to build some of the best speakers and perhaps some of the best electronics out there. Expensive...Yes but still not as expensive as many other high end brands and they deliver some of the best sound I have ever heard.

I will in a couple of weeks get a complete TAD system with CE-1 speakers, D1000mk2 CD/SACD/DAC and M2500mk2 amplifier, this system gives a special TAD synergi that I did not get when I tried the speakers with other electronics.

The ME-1 are really something special cant go wrong with them, I heard them with a Gryphon Diablo 120.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

@octaviars, thank you for your post.

I will be running the ME1 with my Simaudio Moon i7 RS. As for the DAC part, I am thinking of getting either a used dCS Puccini (cheaper option) or the D1000 mk1 (more expensive). But the only place I've heard TAD electronics was at the show, and yes, the sinergy with TAD speakers was simply magical. But TAD amps and DACs are damn expensive and can rarely be found used.

39 minutes ago, octaviars said:

I find TAD to build some of the best speakers and perhaps some of the best electronics out there.

+1, very underrated in my experience.

31 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

As for the DAC part, I am thinking of getting either a used dCS Puccini (cheaper option) or the D1000 mk1 (more expensive).

What about a Simaudio DAC? The 280/380D are fabulous sounding units at those price points, or at something closer to the Puccini and D1000 mk1 price point you can consider the Simaudio 650D.

8 minutes ago, Les Habitants said:

What about a Simaudio DAC? The 280/380D are fabulous sounding units at those price points.

I haven't heard them to be honest (I might audition the 280D soon), but frankly, I don't expect them to be a match for dCS or TAD electronics. 

A used Puccini can be found for €5,000, and you get a CD/SACD/DAC/preamp in a single box. The only problem is you have to get one of their master clocks (U-clock, Paganini, Scarlatti) in order to exploit the USB input.

15 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

I haven't heard them to be honest (I might audition the 280D soon), but frankly, I don't expect them to be a match for dCS or TAD electronics. 

U used Puccini can be found for €5,000, and you get a CD/SACD/DAC/preamp in a single box. The only problem is you have to get one of their master clocks (U-clock, Paganini, Scarlatti) in order to exploit the USB input.

Yes certainly both dCS and TAD are brands offering products beyond reproach, I didn't realize you had a want/need for a disc spinner and preamp all in the same box when you said "As for the DAC part".

The Simaudio Neo series offers great value for the money sonically, though only the pricier 380D offers full preamp facilities. The 280D can optionally become a streamer with the addition of the MiND module, that feature is included on the 380D.

I have always personally favored the disc spinner located in a separate box, that way if it fails you don't have to be without your preamp/DAC during repair.

I have a Marantz Reference SACD player, however it gets very little use these days with the somewhat recent advent of SACD ripping via certain model Oppo, Cambridge, and Arcam Blu-ray players over a network connection.

I've managed to rip my SACDs to.dsf files using this method and now just play them back with JRiver through a USB DAC, the discs now stay pretty much put in their cases.

Yes @AmusedToD I have sold my Devialets and will trade in my Focals when I get the TAD. Not easy to compare the two systems but the TAD combo is better than the Devialet/Focal to me. I have listened to the TAD speakers with Devialet and did not feel the same enjoy as I did when they are powered with TAD. The complete TAD system delivered more speed, control and overall a easier sound to listen to, the M2500mk2 amplifier has so much power, speed, control and great sound that I consider it one of the best amps I have ever listened to.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
On 2017-09-01 at 1:35 AM, AmusedToD said:

Has anyone had the chance to test the D1000?

I have tested it but not in a complete TAD system. To me it is really good player and a really high quality DAC perhaps some will wrinkle their nose that it does not support the highes samplerates and converts everything to PCM but I dont really care as I listen mostly to 16/44.1 via cd or streaming so I want a DAC that sounds best with this material.

The last time I listened to a TAD system I used a TAD DA1000 DAC and the Marantz SA-10 as transport (my dealer had sold his demo D1000) and this kombo sounded really good but later on my dealer changed to a D1000 player and thought the sound stepped up a notch.

I plan to run a SOtM SMS-200 Ultra as Roon endpoint and a SOtM sPS-500 PSU to power it, will perhaps use a FMC and run fiber from the switch to the endpoint. I talked to SOtM and they are rebuilding a TP Link FMC with clock output from the SMS Ultra and better powersupply components inside.

Main system

Second system

Thanks @octaviars

So you say that the D1000 alone (as a CD player) sounds better that a quality transport + DA1000 DAC?

I am thinking whether to go for a used dCS Puccini or perhaps the D1000 (which sadly can't be found very often). 

And finally, do TAD speakers support spade connectors or just banana plugs? I didn't check this myself.

I haven't compared D1000 to a transport plus DA1000 combo but my dealer thinks the D1000 is a better sounding solution. 

7 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

And finally, do TAD speakers support spade connectors or just banana plugs?

You can use both on TAD no problem.

Main system

Second system
2 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

TAD speakers use bi-wiring.

I dont see that just because a speaker has two inputs that you need to run bi-wire.

I will use my single-wire that I have today and just get some better jumper-links to bridge the terminals.

Main system

Second system
  • 3 weeks later...

I am getting the itch to replace my current speakers and the TAD has me really interested because of it's technical approach (CST driver).  I am trying to set up a time to audition the Compact and Micro Evolution soon.  I will report back with my impressions.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Haven’t heard the Compact Evolution One, but by looking at the concept - they are  identical to the Micro Evolution One in terms of technology/construction/materials used, only bigger. And they were designed directly by Andrew Jones, whereas the ME1 were released this year, after he has left the company (but apparently the design is essentially the same). So both speaker models use coaxial design (to my knowledge initially developed in the 40’s by Altec), but Pioneer has been working on their own version of it since the 50’s. Very similar to what Tannoy (dual concentric) and KEF (Uni-Q) do. Both models are 3 way bass reflex speakers with bi-directional side ports. The CE1 goes down a bit lower (to 34Hz) than the ME1 (36Hz). 

Anyways, I think it all comes down to the size of your listening room and personal preferences. My room is rather small and the ME1 are just perfect for my needs. 

Please do report your findings, very curious to hear whether the bigger CE1 is a noticeably better performer than the ME1.