IGNORED

External Hard Drive OK with Audirvana?

Hi folks: sorry if this is a dumb question, but I wanted to ask if there are any reasons why I shouldn't be using an external HD (Seagate SSD Portable) to store my Audirvana library on? It's plugged into an older Macbook Pro, which in turn is connected to a Chord 2cute. I have a number of DSD files, and I wondered if there might be any speed issues with the data going through the Seagate's USB 2.0 cable to the laptop? Any and all advice gratefully received, thanks...

I do exactly that, times two. I have one portable USB hard drive connected to a bridged Mac Mini, and another powered HD connected via USB to the Airport Express Base Station, essentially an NAS.

I used to have dropouts and slow connection/lag issues using a very old NAS when playing DSF files, so I switched to external hard drives and have no throughput issues. I do upsample all files x2. Lag issues did not affect anything other than playback of hi rez files, i.e. 16/44 wav and FLAC files never had problems.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

@Dave Hansford consider this:

The theoretical highest data transfer speed you get for a USB 2.0 interface is 480 Mbit/s, or 480, 000 kbit/s.

Uncompressed Redbook audio is 1411 kbit/s.

Uncompressed 24/192 PCM audio is 9216 kbit/s.

Uncompressed DSD 128 is 11, 288 kbit/s.

Can you see why audio will not choke your system now?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

• 3 weeks later...

Re a bridged macmini, is it possible for a ThunderBolt only HD, with TB to gig ethernet adaptor, to be directly connected to a router for access by the macmini? Or any way for it to be connected straight to the macmini?

(bridging to router has taken up the TB input!).

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.