IGNORED

iMac Quit Playing Music

Last night my late 2015 iMac running the latest OSX quit playing music, It is very strange...iTunes, Tidal both local and Web based as well as Amarra 4 Luxe all have the same problem. When I hit the play button, the icon changes to the pause icon as if it were playing but there is no movement on the progress bar on any music app. When trying to play a YouTube video, the video will progress and play but with no audio. I am using a Bifrost 4490 DAC via USB. If I switch to internal speakers, the audio will play on all apps. When DAC is connected to CD player via TOSLINK, it works as it should. The only thing I noticed is that when I rebooted the computer to see if that would help, it required me to login to iCloud at startup which I have never seen before.

Any ideas as to what is going on???

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

Did you just perform a software update?

No software update but I did connect the DAC to a new 16 ft USB cable to get it closer to the receiver so that I could use a short RCA. Worked fine since making the change last Wednesday. When I get home from work tonight I am going to try it with the short USB and long RCA's. Just doesn't make sense that when I hit play on every possible player, the here is no progression of time.

I'm thinking the DAC died. I switched to the original USB cable with the same results. I can start a song playing through the internal speakers but as soon as the DAC is plugged in, the song quits progressing as if the pause has been clicked. Sent an email to Schiit tech support describing the problem so will have to wait until I hear back. Luckily, I live 30 minutes from them.