Computer Audiophile
Strojo

LPS-1 "Clicking" sound

Rate this topic

Strojo   

Power went out in the house, and when it came back on my LPS-1 is making a "clicking" sound on a regular interval.  I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, but it still makes the sound.  This has happened before when it's been unplugged and then plugged back in, but those times the clicking usually went away after removing the power source and then adding it back in.

Any thoughts?

21 hours ago, Strojo said:

Power went out in the house, and when it came back on my LPS-1 is making a "clicking" sound on a regular interval.  I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, but it still makes the sound.  This has happened before when it's been unplugged and then plugged back in, but those times the clicking usually went away after removing the power source and then adding it back in.

Any thoughts?

Check the output voltage of the LPS-1 with a multimeter. Is it steady at the voltage set by the selector? Or do you see variability?

If the latter, you should contact Alex right away.

Strojo   
1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Check the output voltage of the LPS-1 with a multimeter. Is it steady at the voltage set by the selector? Or do you see variability?

If the latter, you should contact Alex right away.

Forgive the basic question, but what's the best way to take that measurement with the meter?  Which probe do I touch to which part of the power jack?

Set your multimeter to measure:

• DC Voltage
  • If there are ranges, pick one which is higher than 7V - like 0-10V or 0-20V, etc.
  • Attach the DC cable to the output of the LPS-1. Do not try to measure the pins on the LPS-1 directly
  • The output plug of the DC cable is a 2.5x2.1 barrel jack
  • Place the red probe (+ve lead) into the inside of the barrel
  • Touch the outside of the barrel with the black (-ve) probe
  • Measure

Rinse and repeat.

NO - never rinse an electronic device in water. Especially if it's on. I hope that goes without saying. :D 

Superdad   
On 8/27/2017 at 9:27 AM, Strojo said:

And clicking may not be the right word.  Chirping is probably more accurate.

Hi:

Sorry to be a bit slow in reply.  If you UltraCap LPS-1 is functioning normally--providing correct output voltage and LED staying green--then I would not worry.  Out of about 1,500 units sold we have had 3 instances of people saying they can hear a slight chirp/click directly from the case of the LPS-1.  One person sent his back to us but it took my putting ear within 1/4" of the case in my very quite studio before I could hear it.  

There is one other fellow named Sean who is sending his unit back for inspection/exchange since he has one that is silent and the other he says chirps.  It will be very interesting for us to hear that and to locate the source--likely just one of the inductors on the board making a small sound when the unit switches capacitor banks.

Although it is not something to be concerned about--and not considered a defect per se--if you bothered by it you are most welcome to send your unit in for exchange of the board.  I can use your existing board in a unit in my personal system.

I will reply to your PM with instructions and our address.

Regards,

--Alex C.

Strojo   

Just a quick update for the hive...

I decided to send the unit back per Superdad's offer above.  Given I could hear the chirping 15 feet across the room, it wasn't something that I was willing or able to live with.

Thanks to the Uptone folks for taking care of me on this!

Superdad   
15 minutes ago, Strojo said:

I decided to send the unit back per Superdad's offer above.  Given I could hear the chirping 15 feet across the room, it wasn't something that I was willing or able to live with.

I can't wait to see this one.  Given that virtually all LPS-1s are dead silent, yours clearly must have something crazy going on!  We'll fix you right up with a new board of course.

:)

John K   

Any updates on the cause of the chriping sound? My LPS-1 seems to be displaying the same symptom. I recently moved my LPS-1 from my living room to other room where I use my headfi gears and I noticed that it gives off the chirping sound~It is not that loud but I can definitely hear it when I put my head near it. It also seems to get very hot, much hotter than before and it shut off during use last night (sudden redlight and after few min turned back to green again).  I didn't turn it again for fear of breaking it or something.. I have used lps-1 for powering SMS-200(living room) and microrendu(other room) and it was connected with ifi 9v power. Any suggestions for possible solution?

Superdad   

8 minutes ago, John K said:

Any updates on the cause of the chriping sound? My LPS-1 seems to be displaying the same symptom. I recently moved my LPS-1 from my living room to other room...

So after moving the LPS-1, are you using it to power a different device than before?   A device that draws more current will certainly make it run hatter.  And the fact that it went into its over-current mode (5 red flashes, 1 green flash, 5 red flashes--until it senses the load is reduced enough to stay green) indicates that you are now drawing more from it.

As for faint ticks when the LPS-1 switches banks (every 4-20+ seconds depending upon load), that likely comes from one of the inductors on the board.  I have only even been able to hear it once--and incredibly faintly.  We don't consider it a defect nor a sign of impending failure.  So don't worry about it. :)

John K   

Oh~ I used to connect it to sms-200 in the living room and now using it on microrendu,

I will test again tonight to see if it shows any over current problem again.

Just want to say I love what LPs-1 does on the devices and love the sound coming from it.

Thanks for the advice!

Superdad   
Just now, John K said:

Oh~ I used to connect it to sms-200 in the living room and now using it on microrendu.

While I would think that a microRendu would draw less than the sMS-200, it really is as much about the 5VBUS draw of the DAC you have the renderer connected to.  Remember, both the microRendu and the sMS-200 are supply some amount of current to the USB input stage of your DAC.  I have used an LPS-1 to power a microRendu feeding the power-hungry iFi micro iDSD DAC/headphone amp with no issue at all, so that is one data point for you.