IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

Anyone using A+ with a PS Audio Directstream jr?. Am tempted to do a trial on a JR but have read on the PS Audio forum that flac files play as wav ??

thx

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

14 minutes ago, greyscale said:

Anyone using A+ with a PS Audio Directstream jr?. Am tempted to do a trial on a JR but have read on the PS Audio forum that flac files play as wav ??

thx

FLAC files are (I believe always or nearly always) compressed WAV files that must be decompressed before play, so this is true of pretty much any FLAC file played anywhere.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A+ and the Bridge II network card inside my PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC do not play well together.  My guess is that the same issues would come up with the Jr.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

On 7/16/2018 at 5:25 PM, RobertinMn said:

Yeah, right--because you know nothing about ports and non root controlled access to them. So, being a nice guy I'll explain it to you. The app is using administrative rights to gain to open ports and communicate. Once open, anyone who wants can gain access to the computer in question. This is why no one wants to apps to have access without their approval. This is an old issue that has cropped up in the past with other apps. It will not stop anyone from pirating the software and it opens the door to root kits. If you don't know what a root kit is, google it.

I suppose then you will not wish to use the software.  Luckily there is a lot of other good software around.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

@greyscale

I've not read of anyone who has successfully gotten the PS Audio DS DAC/BridgeII or DAC Jr. and A+ to work together properly. The problem is with the BridgeII renderer.

These were my experiences with A+ and my DS DAC/BridgeII (not Jr.):

The timer slider did not work.

The tracks would not advance.

The type of file would not display correctly; since the Jr. does not have a display you would not have this problem.

I was able to play single tracks however, and determine the relative merits of A+ sound quality.

I thought SQ sufficiently worthwhile and purchased a Sonore ultraRendu/LPS-1 combo which works flawlessly using the USB input on the PS Audio DS DAC.

Why not try it for yourself? Its a free trial.

Note, if your DS still has the Bridge inside, and you are using the ultraRendu, I would strongly advise removing the Bridge II.  The Bridge still powers up when it is inside the DS DAC, removing it will reduce the level of internal RFI, and will result in a (probably small) increase in sound quality.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

19 hours ago, damien78 said:

Can you check the complete path of two duplicated tracks?
For this you can use the Tracks details panel (Show Metadata Editor command of the View menu to raise it).
Then, at the top of this panel, you have the filename for the track. There is a small triangle left of it. Click on it to reveal the complete path.
If for two duplicated tracks the paths are different, this means these are duplicated files on your disk.
You may then want to check if you can delete one copy.

Hi Damien, thanks for getting back to me about this. They are all in exactly the same path and file name in A+'s track details panel.

I've checked several folders to make sure there's not an actual duplicate file and there isn't. They're on a Synology NAS I recently purchased. I do have "(Rescan all remote synchronized folders located on a network server when application starts" checked.

I do have a couple of files stored locally on the desktop and these are not duplicated in A+. It seems to only be a problem with the NAS files. It's a DS218+ with the latest software........... just occurred to me the problem may be the RAID's mirroring of files. If so, is there a way around this besides reformatting a NAS with mirroring off?

Thanks

@barrows As you suggested, I have tried the PS Audio DS DAC without the BridgeII but the difference in SQ was not discernible to me. So I reinstalled it because of my concerns with ESD. I used to be a semiconductor test engineer working with gate arrays and I've become a lifelong paranoid when it concerns ESD - even when stored in ESD bags.

FWIW, anyone contemplating the removal of a BridgeII must be properly grounded, must place the DAC on a ESD work station mat. If you purchased the DAC with the BridgeII installed you will not have the special packaging and ground strap that comes with the BridgeII. Get all of that before removal.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I think a good middle ground is simply removing the Ethernet cable from the Bridge II when it is not being used.  IIRC, Ted Smith suggested this on the PS Audio Forum.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

2 minutes ago, Bootzilla said:

I think a good middle ground is simply removing the Ethernet cable from the Bridge II when it is not being used.  IIRC, Ted Smith suggested this on the PS Audio Forum.

I forgot to mention that. Thanks!

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 11:47 AM, Rezseeker said:

Hi Damien, thanks for getting back to me about this. They are all in exactly the same path and file name in A+'s track details panel.

I've checked several folders to make sure there's not an actual duplicate file and there isn't. They're on a Synology NAS I recently purchased. I do have "(Rescan all remote synchronized folders located on a network server when application starts" checked.

I do have a couple of files stored locally on the desktop and these are not duplicated in A+. It seems to only be a problem with the NAS files. It's a DS218+ with the latest software........... just occurred to me the problem may be the RAID's mirroring of files. If so, is there a way around this besides reformatting a NAS with mirroring off?

Thanks

RAID mirroring is not causing my duplicate track problem. I tried without mirroring and still have basically all duplicate tracks..

For me the first thing i'll do is get my music NOT in the iTunes default folder.

Why iTunes is there anyway... you still use A+ with iTunes?

I'm sure you have checked not let iTunes runs your library or copy files there by itself...

Redelete all your prefs and cache and database, restart, put the music in another folder,

trash iTunes path from A+ prefs panel.

Add your music back maybe by letters of groups at small doses and see if it still add them in double...

A+ database has is funny way to works and sometimes need help from others here that discover somethings

you didn't know, but it works when your things are set the good way.

My A+ database, artists list, tags, genre... all follow in JRiver 24 database and in a tree way with HQplayer,

all covers from all groups follow in the 3 softwares...

i don't use iTunes on this computer, nothing on... my mp3 version goes to another hard disc on another mac.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

@RunHomeSlow

I had this happen to me as well with no upsampling (so muting does not matter).

For me, my PS Audio DSDAC froze up and I had to shut it down and restart. Like you it happened during a PCM to DSD track change.

It sounds just like an AM radio between station white noise.

it happened at least four times yesterday night and for me it is not like radio station white noise it sounds just for a second like something is wrong with my DAC, can't tell how lol  like metal door that screee when you close it for a sec or a metal ping, listening music at 85db - 90db it is not fun for the tweeter i guess.

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

sounds like a supersonic sound for a sec  :)

After a few A/B comparisons, I find I still like direct mode 1 over direct mode 2,  SoX or no direct mode. On my system, there's more air between the instruments (and voices) and more clarity with nice overtones.  My soundstage is a bit wider and more foward with direct mode 1 than with the other options.  I guess for the time being i won't be upgrading my Mac OS (or maybe I will when I find enough time to replace the required .ktext file). 

I'm basically a random music listener and haven't had any of the playback issues other listeners are describing.  The only annoyance is my iphone remote needs to be re-sync'd with wifi occasionally while selecting tracks throughout the evening.

I love that A+ lets me hear the nuances and tune its settings for my system and ears.

Thanks Damien!

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

@damien78

Someone on A+ forums had the same problem with PCM to DSD bad noise.

Never thought of recording it... done it with my iphone and send it to me... it is a .amr extension ??
but it played on my iMac with QuickTime...

it is just frank zappa speaking for 4 seconds before it end. PCM 16/44 then, the short noise while passing to the other song in DSD64.

put it loud to hear it but not on your sound system :-)

Here is the dropbox link since i can't upload .amr or .zip file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ie6qnlf0gm4y ... e.amr?dl=0

On 8/4/2018 at 6:03 PM, RunHomeSlow said:

For me the first thing i'll do is get my music NOT in the iTunes default folder.

Why iTunes is there anyway... you still use A+ with iTunes?

I'm sure you have checked not let iTunes runs your library or copy files there by itself...

Redelete all your prefs and cache and database, restart, put the music in another folder,

trash iTunes path from A+ prefs panel.

Add your music back maybe by letters of groups at small doses and see if it still add them in double...

A+ database has is funny way to works and sometimes need help from others here that discover somethings

you didn't know, but it works when your things are set the good way.

My A+ database, artists list, tags, genre... all follow in JRiver 24 database and in a tree way with HQplayer,

all covers from all groups follow in the 3 softwares...

i don't use iTunes on this computer, nothing on... my mp3 version goes to another hard disc on another mac.

Hey, thanks for the reply. The problem. I don't know why it created duplicates and I'm not sure what it was that finally rid my system of creating them,, but they seem to have finally been banished for good.

There were some folders that had "xxxx 1.aiff" duplicates so I actually had a file to delete there. That wasn't the case most of the time though - most just seemed to be ghosts. Anyway, all gone now.