IGNORED

SMS-200Ultra Upgrade from mRendu 2.3

I recently upgraded my mRendu to and SOTM SMS-200Ultra, with some significant and surprising results. Executive summary: There is no comparison between the two. The SMS-200 Ultra offers a letter of clarity, vocal ease, and musicality lacking in the base model of the mRendu.

For the past year + I've been upgrading all aspects of my system trying to overcome a digital harshness and distortion in vocals that was ruining musicality and enjoyment of some of my favorite artists, like Van Morrison. I've swapped out and tried to improve every aspect of my system in an attempt to overcome this. Upgrades include moving from an Aurender 100N to the mRendu. Upgrading the mRendu PSU to the Sonore Signature and then Mojo-Audio Joule V and Illuminati 2 (both the Joule V and the Illumanit 2 are better and significantly cheaper than the Sonore Signature, by the way),. I upgraded my Synology NAS, running minimserver, to a SonicTransport i3 and then an SSD i5 running Roon. I then upgraded the i5's PSU to a second Illuminati 2. I played with cables and power cords, eventually upgrading my USB cable from Curious to WyWires Platinum, and my power cords and interconnects to reference quality Tellurium Qs. I upgraded the Ethernet cables to AQ Vodkas, added two Audience power conditioners, and upgraded the connectors on the power cords. Other improvements included going from a Chord 2Qute to Bricasti M1SE, and a number of trials of expensive pre-amps. (I wound up staying with my original - ATC CA2). I was so desperate I bought acoustic wall treatments.

While most helped the overall sound of the system (the Tellurium Q's had a profound impact) and some, particularly the WyWire Platinum, helped the vocal harshness, the problem remained on both good and poor recordings, ruining my listening experience.

Given the reviews and raves for the mRendu I focused on it last. As a Hail Mary, I ordered the SOTM  SMS-200 ultra. No one would give me a trial, so I figured I would eat the restocking fee. I didn't know where else to turn. Since I was beginning to think the mRendu might be the issue, it was the only thing left,,  I chose the SOTM SMS-200 ultra over the mRendu Ultra.

I made a direct swap, using the same PSU and cables. The difference was immediate and profound and it only got better over time.

Suddenly the headroom, vocal ease, and musicality I'd been lacking were found. On top of it, I could hear the benefits of hi-res recordings that were unnoticeable or inferior when using the mRendu. I went from avoiding certain hi-res recordings that sounded screechy on the mRendu to preferring them in all instances. 

I am now consistently enjoying most recordings on my (too expensive) set-up for the first time without having to hand-pick recordings that sound good.  

To be fair, I didn't listen to the mRendu Ultra, and I bought (but never installed) the 2.5 OS. So I don't have an apples to apples. But I'd surprised if the mRendu ultra would be superior

Still, I know this is an evolving space and will continue to keep my eyes open for further advancements in the renderer space. Installing the Bricasti M5 board into my M1 is a recent and interesting option, and I'd like ot hear the mRendu ultra, but I'm going to hold off on that (or other changes for now). 

Eventually, I'll experiment again and report on it here. But for now, I'm going to enjoy not having the pressure of having to salvage a $35,000 investment.

This said, if Sonore, Bricasti, Aurender, or anyone else for that matter wants to lend me a render for a trial, I'm happy to write a detailed review. But for now, nothing comes close to what I've heard from the SOTM. Frankly I'm shocked, but relieved. I finally have a stereo.  

12 minutes ago, jtrelin said:

The difference was immediate and profound and it only got better over time.

Great write up.  Thank you!

What power supply are you using with the sMS-200ultra?  Did you also get the switch mod?  Can you please tell us the components in your front end chain up to the Bricasti DAC?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi, I'm using Mojo-Audio Illuminati 2. 

I didn't get the switch mod. I figured things will change so dramatically in the next few years I'm more likely to want a new unit rather than add an external clock.

sonic transport i5 SSD powered by an Illuminati 2

Sms200 Ultra powered by an Illuminati 2 (I chose separate PSUs  to avoid backwash rather than use the dual rails available in each) 

WyWires Platinum USB between the sms200 and M1

AQ Vodka Ethernet for the i5 and SMS 200

Both PSUs are connected to an Audience AR2 power conditioner using Tellurium Q Blue Ultra power cords upgraded with Furutech FI-28 connectors. 

Thanks @jtrelin.  Wow, huge investment.  I'm scared to ask about the rest of your system.  It's always great to hear that someone is finally really satisfied after so much experimentation.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I put the money in the front. At <5K The ATC powered speakers are a great bargain because they're not prettied up for home use and the amps are built in 

The rest: M1 -> ATC CA2 preamp Tellurium Q Black Diamnond interconnects

CA2 to ATC SCM ASL Studio 20 IIs, Tellurium Q Black Diamond Interconnects 

The power cord for M1 is Ultra Blue

cords for the speakers and preamp are TQ Black 

I've also experience similar upgrade for my CAS USB output to DAC path from :

mR to iFi iUSB 3, which brings noticeable improvement. Afterward, I further upgrade from

iFi iUSB 3 to sms-200, and there is further improvement.

So I can imagine the step up you experience from mR to sms-200 ultra.

Hi jtrelin

Great write up  :)

Maybe you should have use some of all the money to change your ATCs to a pair with the 75mm Middome. They sound very natural with voices and everything else.

I use active ATC SCM45s and i love them therefore. The active 20s can sound a bit harsher maybe. (did not hear them)

Neotech Pure Copper cables to the monitors did a good job too for a more fluid sound.

I am interested in the Sotm ultra too, but do not know if it would make a real difference to my Aries femto with a Audiobyte HydraZ reclocking. DAC/Pre is a Metrum Adagio R2R, very natural sounding too. The whole chain must be good balanced.

have fun with your ultra!

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Since you liked the sms 200ultra, you will probably like adding Mutec Ref 10 as a clock input to the ultra if you enabled the input. Also, people from headfi raved about 12v mode being prefered over 9v. Lastly is to try out TxUSB Ultra for a complete setup (i hope) that will elevate your music. 

cheers 

• 1 month later...

Joe, two things I have found to tame the highs and add clarity are use fibre media converters and for any SMPSs, after and including the downstream FMC, ground the -ve otput.  Example of an FMC is D-LINK MC100CM and put a good 5V supply on the downstream FMC, upstream does not matter.