IGNORED

Upsampling by dac, can't hear an improvement.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm all for freedom of each person to chose what they want to do when enjoying a hobby. If this was an FDA trial where people could die and they were scientists, that's a different story. This is a fun hobby and some people don't want to become scientists just to listen to audio gear. 

I am not suggesting that everyone become a scientist of even a objectivist. It just gets a little funny when you read some of the stuff that goes on here. It gets really funny with the DC power cable stuff. People hear improvements because the improvements must be there, right?

But whatever....

4 minutes ago, barrows said:

I did not see anyone saying that the oversampling filters in EVERY DAC suck.  But it is true that hardware based filters often are at a loss to what can be accomplished with a more powerful device.  In my experience though, it is possible to implement very good filters with a powerful FPGA or other type of separate DSP chip these days, as is done in a lot of better DACs.  But the filters built in to most DAC chips do seem to be a bit weak...

The filters in any high-end DAC from the usual vendors (AKM, ESS, TI, etc) are perfectly adequate. While it is possible to construct mathematically superior filters, the differences in the actual analogue output are too small to be audible.

3 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I am not suggesting that everyone become a scientist of even a objectivist. It just gets a little funny when you read some of the stuff that goes on here. It gets really funny with the DC power cable stuff. People hear improvements because the improvements must be there, right?

But whatever....

Why do you care? If someone hears something and says they hear it, that's no skin off your back. 

If the Government makes you purchase something that you believe can't possibly work, that's another story.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

But they do.....

This is sarcasm, right?  Or are you suggesting that the only dAC with a good onboard oversampling algorithm is the Yggi?  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, barrows said:

This is sarcasm, right?  Or are you suggesting that the only dAC with a good onboard oversampling algorithm is the Yggi?  

There are plenty of people here that think the only way to go is discreet upsampling because DACs couldn't possible do it right themselves.

No where have I suggested that Schiit has a monopoly of proper in-DAC upsampling. I only used Yggdrasil as an example.

3 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

There are plenty of people here that think the only way to go is discreet upsampling because DACs couldn't possible do it right themselves.

We are in agreement here.  There are certainly some DACs which can, and do, apply more complex than usual oversampling algorithms and exhibit superb sound quality.  In every case I am aware of these DACs utilize a separate chip (DSP/FPGA) with quite a bit of processing power to do this.  Chord does a fairly complex algorithm, even in the tiny MOJO.  More and more processing power in chips is making onboard filters, for the DAC designers with the chops, better and better.

For those who want to play around with different filters themselves though, I can see the attraction of OSF in the computer for all the flexibility programs like HQP and Audirvana offer.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

soak your cables in this:

are you referring to my post?

(asking because your post follows mine...)

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

2 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Nor is ignoring confirmation bias......which runs rampant around this place.

I agree (tho it is worse on other sites), and that is why I posted the pic.

I am not fond of consumer fraud, Chris.

As to DC power cables, it is plausible that a star quad rewrap might make a difference so I differ with SpeedRacer on that.  As for AC power cables, I don't see how a cable could matter unless the transformer is very poorly designed - see @jabbr 's post on the foil for more.

Fellow audio enthousiasts, were talking about music here, let's not forget that. Music is emotion, which reaches our inner core. This forum is all about how to reproduce this music at our homes. Sure, we're talking about the techniques how to do so and we can differ from that. But still, it's music. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, mansr said:

The filters in any high-end DAC from the usual vendors (AKM, ESS, TI, etc) are perfectly adequate. While it is possible to construct mathematically superior filters, the differences in the actual analogue output are too small to be audible.

Dare I say your crusade against MQA filters is all for naught?

If it's too small to be audible, you shouldn't really care about MQA filters. 

Perhaps I've misunderstood something. Or, we should establish a threshold of audibility, below which you can't complain about things :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, hurka said:

my stupid question:

What about the gears in the studios?everithing perfect over there?

In my view that doesn't matter. The studio is creating sound, whereas we want to reproduce the sound created. 

The worst equipment in the world may create the sound the artist wants. So be it.