IGNORED

Upsampling by dac, can't hear an improvement.

My dac is an AMR dp-777 (fed by a sms200), the dac is able to upsample pcm to 192khz. I can't notice an improvement, at most a shift sidewards. When I started streaming I used a hummingboard / gungnir running Moode and could't notice an improvement either.

Does upsampling in PCM make sence anyway?

Depends on the Dac and the system. In some it makes, a difference, in others it doesn't.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Not really making sense to me.  Native sample rates done well make sense.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The answer depends on how it is done. Upsampling via hardware is usually not very transparent. 

There are software based upsampling options that can be very transparent. Try this and see if you can hear an improvement. 

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

30 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

The answer depends on how it is done. Upsampling via hardware is usually not very transparent. 

There are software based upsampling options that can be very transparent. Try this and see if you can hear an improvement. 

Sotm gave me a trial of Roon, which I installed on my w10 server. Upsampling did not improve things. Will try hqplayer now that I think of it.

@esldude some 16/44 of my collection sound better than 24/192 which are supposed to be highly respecten recordings. In fact I've got some 24/192 that sound dreadfull. Somehow I think 96khz sounds best, wether it's my previous gungnir or my current amr dac.

1 hour ago, Lebouwsky said:

Sotm gave me a trial of Roon, which I installed on my w10 server. Upsampling did not improve things. Will try hqplayer now that I think of it.

@esldude some 16/44 of my collection sound better than 24/192 which are supposed to be highly respecten recordings. In fact I've got some 24/192 that sound dreadfull. Somehow I think 96khz sounds best, wether it's my previous gungnir or my current amr dac.

Yes there are 16/44 recordings that better 24/192 recordings.  That is due to the recording and say nothing about the sample rates.

You can get a free trial of HQplayer.  If it works to your satisfaction, then purchase a copy. 

There are thoughts of how upsampling improves things.  I haven't been convinced by any of them.  I don't hear an improvement. It doesn't make sense to me that upsampling could make more than a very small improvement. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

12 hours ago, esldude said:

There are thoughts of how upsampling improves things.  I haven't been convinced by any of them.  I don't hear an improvement. It doesn't make sense to me that upsampling could make more than a very small improvement.

If the DAC chip's internal upsampling was truly awful, bypassing it would be an improvement. In reality, they're not actually that bad, so any difference is going to be marginal at best.

56 minutes ago, mansr said:

Here we go again.

People on this site, in general, are in love with discreet upsampling. They like to say that the upsampling code in a DAC must be worse than what can be achieved in the DAC. Just as an example, how can you call the upsampling code in Yggdrasil "resource constrained" when it upsamples in real time all the time without fail. It has a filter that is "a time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter with a true closed-form solution".

My listening acuity must suck too since I disagree.....

One user questioning whether another has hearing acuity is just silly. You are listening in different rooms to different systems. You could both "hear" different things and still be correct.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1) There are outstanding examples of software upsampling to both R2R based and SDM based DACs.

2) upsampling PCM to a SDM DAC might not have a benefit. 

3) The DAC in question is not typical and benefits of offboard upsampling depends on the DAC being able to accept.

4) Only rarely does something work for everything.

I think your DAC does internal PCM->SDM conversion as so if accepts DSD in, that might be better 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

12 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Thank you for your comment @Superdad

It would be really nice if everybody would comment like a gentleman and respect each other in this post.

I will give the upsampling one more (critical) try when I'm back from beatiful Mallorca.

cheers fellow enthousiasts.

It'd be dandy if the forum was less some incredible hypocrites. 

17 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Would buy you a double whiskey like mine if you were here, maybe you'd lighten up a bit my friend.

IMG_6375.JPG

Bottom line is that Alex said he would sit for blind test of his own product any day of the week on his system with his music. Someone asked what was the nearest airport and Alex promptly folded up tent. 

But yet here is the same person that ran away having the chutzpah to call out other's hearing acuity. 

22 minutes ago, plissken said:

Bottom line is that Alex said he would sit for blind test of his own product any day of the week on his system with his music. Someone asked what was the nearest airport and Alex promptly folded up tent. 

But yet here is the same person that ran away having the chutzpah to call out other's hearing acuity. 

All good @plissken, it's just that sometimes saying nothing or odd politely is better than replying from your belly. I'm married you know.

I'm rather perplexed that someone can call someone else tone deaf and it's ok, but I point out the hypocrisy of a person saying they would sit for a blind session of the product they sell but really won't do it but calling someone else out. 

I'm not sure in what scenario simply not pointing out the brazenness is of benefit to the community at large here. 

I welcome and encourage Alex to eat his own dogfood.