IGNORED

Metrum Onyx/Jade

Thanks for all the advice. I am definitely in the NOS style of DAC's. Once I sell an amp I don't use anymore I should have about $4000 to spend, so the Onyx is well under that price range. I would be able to purchase the DAC and a new power cable with the money. I definitely don't want the Jade as my Herron pre-amp is quite nice and pairs well with the mono blocks.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

I am on the search for a replacement of my present DAC (Aqua Acoustic La Voce S2). Not that I am unhappy with my DAC, in the contrary, I like its smooth SQ very much. But it is anything than future-proof! The Jade looks like a great alternative and I am closely following the discussion in this round.

I just saw that an MQA add-on board will be available at Metrum Acoustics. Now this is REALLY interesting. Does anyone have more infos on this module? Will the module use the existing R2R non-oversampling board in the Jade, or will it have its own conversion tool? That is not clear to me.

to my knowledge the MQA upgrade modules are about to shipped to those who ordered them, meaning they are available. After reading what has been written, Metrum uses a bypass, meaning their own NOS ladders are leading, if however a MQA signal is being detected it is managed by the mqa chip, any other signal is exclusively managed by the metrum dac's. in my personal opinion, MQA does not add anything to a NOS dac, and I am sure Metrum has understood that as well, hence the bypass

3 hours ago, Spinning said:

to my knowledge the MQA upgrade modules are about to shipped to those who ordered them, meaning they are available. After reading what has been written, Metrum uses a bypass, meaning their own NOS ladders are leading, if however a MQA signal is being detected it is managed by the mqa chip, any other signal is exclusively managed by the metrum dac's. in my personal opinion, MQA does not add anything to a NOS dac, and I am sure Metrum has understood that as well, hence the bypass

Thanks for the explanation, but I am still wondering what the MQA module does: does it do the first unfolding, say to 24 Bit/96 kHz and send it then to the R2R ladder? Or does it have an in-built Module that does complete unfolding? This would mean that the MQA module has its own onboard DAC. Sorry if I May confuse things.

On 11/10/2017 at 11:42 AM, George Hincapie said:

I haven't had enough time with it yet to form a substantive opinion, but I am happy to post initial impressions. Point of comparison in my main system is the Metrum Acoustics Musette (with upgraded DAC Two Transient modules).

The sound stage has now assumed a palpable realism; wider than the Musette but my immediate reaction is that I could reach out and touch what I am listening to. I realise that reads like nonsense, but it's how I feel. It's amazing to experience. It is incredibly vibrant; instruments are articulate, well placed and the vocals are simply sublime.

The noise floor must be stupidly low, because I can now hear background detail I simply couldn't hear before. For example, on the Dido album 'Life for Rent', there is a track titled 'Something about Mary'. At the start of the second verse there is a noise in the background that I had always thought before was someone clapping, but can now hear is someone tap dancing. Super!

The Musette is a genuinely excellent DAC, but the Onyx is just far better. Same beautiful Metrum Acoustics presentation, but just 'more' of all that makes it good. I know we all crave percentages and other means of comparison, but all I can say is that I am super happy with my investment and I am really looking forward to the reviews from other owners. I really am itching to try the dCS NB with this now.

I am not an audio reviewer, so apologies if some of my descriptive narrative isn't brilliant.

Thanks for the review on the Onyx. I am definitely getting one now since there is a special offer available for the Onyx.

Interested in the Onyx. Is the special offer from Metrum Acoustic? What was the discount and code?

MS Windows 10, Cary 120S & D-Sonic M3-2800 amp, Marantz av8801, NAD M51,

Basis 1400 TT, Dahlquist DQ-10's & Monitor audio RX ( ctr,surr, rear RX6's) ,

1 - 12" & 1 dual RBH sub, Acoustic Revive RTP-6 conditioner, Panasonic GT50

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What's the consensus on the metrum USB input?  On SBAF, @hands, one of their senior reviewers, claims the Coax Spdif is slightly better than the USB on the Amethyst.  I believe this is his expectation bias, because he measured them and found the coax slightly cleaner (shouldn't be audible levels are so negligible).

I believe the Amethyst's USB is a standard XMOS asynch. nothing special, but it does have two clocks that are visible.  When being sent spdif, I believe you're left to deal with the quality of the clock on the host sending side, because it's not re-clocked once inside the DAC.  But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, long way of asking what your experiences have been with these metrum DACs in general.  If you didn't have AES, or couldn't use it for whatever reason, would you recommend the USB or SPDIF, or is it all a tossup? 

40 minutes ago, buonassi said:

What's the consensus on the metrum USB input?  On SBAF, @hands, one of their senior reviewers, claims the Coax Spdif is slightly better than the USB on the Amethyst......

...... Anyway, long way of asking what your experiences have been with these metrum DACs in general.  If you didn't have AES, or couldn't use it for whatever reason, would you recommend the USB or SPDIF, or is it all a tossup? 

My personal experience with the Onyx, which I am running now very happily.... I agree with the SBAF reviewer. 

I much prefer the coax S/PDIF input on my Onyx (being fed via a Matrix X-SPDIF2 ddc powered by an Uptone LPS1.2) from my MacBook Pro’s USB output. IMO, and to my ears, using the coax input with this combination of gear sounds “significantly” better than the USB input. The improvement to the soundstage, instrument / performer separation, and transient response are all very noticeable. 

However, I’d venture a guess that my sonic improvements go beyond just the input differences on the Onyx. I think a good portion of my improvements are due to the  Matrix and LPS1.2 combination.

Hope this helps!

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

8 hours ago, 1markr said:

My personal experience with the Onyx, which I am running now very happily.... I agree with the SBAF reviewer. 

I much prefer the coax S/PDIF input on my Onyx (being fed via a Matrix X-SPDIF2 ddc powered by an Uptone LPS1.2) from my MacBook Pro’s USB output. IMO, and to my ears, using the coax input with this combination of gear sounds “significantly” better than the USB input. The improvement to the soundstage, instrument / performer separation, and transient response are all very noticeable. 

However, I’d venture a guess that my sonic improvements go beyond just the input differences on the Onyx. I think a good portion of my improvements are due to the  Matrix and LPS1.2 combination.

Hope this helps!

Would you mind doing a comparison between e32 and Onyx? Thanks! :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

1 hour ago, 1markr said:

USB isn’t bad at all though, but the soundstage just became more dimensional with the add’l supporting gear.

So it sounds like the USB gets the timing right with the decent clocks, but isn't galvanically isolated like your coax setup.  This may explain the results you're getting.  I wonder if my iUSB 3.0 nano would help me make up some lost ground to the better coax.

I guess that's my predicament and I'm very open to opinions.  I can either:

a. keep the usb cleaner/regen and use USB on the metrum - this chokes the power and inserts it's own clean noise-free 5v.  It also performs noise cleaning and reclocking on the USB data signal.  Here I already have put money into decent audio-grade USB cables.

OR

b. buy a Schiit Eitr (which has reviewed very well next to other DDCs) to convert to Coax.  Here I'd be at the mercy of the Schiit clocking but would get full galvanic isolation to the DAC.  It is already quiet with linear power regulators in it, so I shouldn't have to buy extra power solution.  I'd have to also purchase a decent coax cable, however.

I'm really not willing to put big bucks into a DDC like.  For this, I'll just go the network route and get a micro-rendu or sms200 or something.  So I guess that's option C!  ha ha

2 hours ago, buonassi said:

So it sounds like the USB gets the timing right with the decent clocks, but isn't galvanically isolated like your coax setup.  This may explain the results you're getting.  I wonder if my iUSB 3.0 nano would help me make up some lost ground to the better coax.

I guess that's my predicament and I'm very open to opinions.  I can either:

a. keep the usb cleaner/regen and use USB on the metrum - this chokes the power and inserts it's own clean noise-free 5v.  It also performs noise cleaning and reclocking on the USB data signal.  Here I already have put money into decent audio-grade USB cables.

OR

b. buy a Schiit Eitr (which has reviewed very well next to other DDCs) to convert to Coax.  Here I'd be at the mercy of the Schiit clocking but would get full galvanic isolation to the DAC.  It is already quiet with linear power regulators in it, so I shouldn't have to buy extra power solution.  I'd have to also purchase a decent coax cable, however.

I'm really not willing to put big bucks into a DDC like.  For this, I'll just go the network route and get a micro-rendu or sms200 or something.  So I guess that's option C!  ha ha

Definately try option A. It sounds like you already have everything for it, so the price of admission is free. Might as well, nothin’ to lose, as they say.

If A doesn’t quite pan out, the trying the Eitr makes sense. Haven’t heard one, but have heard good things about it. Your good USB cable will play nicely here, and yes, a good digital 75 ohm cable will also be needed.

As far as option C goes, be careful with this one. I went this route with an ultraRendu, but it didn’t pan out for me.  Not the sound I was looking for, so I scrapped the option. This was with both DACs, the E32 and the Onyx. Rendu solutions get raves just about everywhere, so go figure... 

Keep us posted!

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)