IGNORED

Metrum Onyx/Jade

On 10-11-2017 at 5:42 PM, George Hincapie said:

I haven't had enough time with it yet to form a substantive opinion, but I am happy to post initial impressions. Point of comparison in my main system is the Metrum Acoustics Musette (with upgraded DAC Two Transient modules).

The sound stage has now assumed a palpable realism; wider than the Musette but my immediate reaction is that I could reach out and touch what I am listening to. I realise that reads like nonsense, but it's how I feel. It's amazing to experience. It is incredibly vibrant; instruments are articulate, well placed and the vocals are simply sublime.

The noise floor must be stupidly low, because I can now hear background detail I simply couldn't hear before. For example, on the Dido album 'Life for Rent', there is a track titled 'Something about Mary'. At the start of the second verse there is a noise in the background that I had always thought before was someone clapping, but can now hear is someone tap dancing. Super!

The Musette is a genuinely excellent DAC, but the Onyx is just far better. Same beautiful Metrum Acoustics presentation, but just 'more' of all that makes it good. I know we all crave percentages and other means of comparison, but all I can say is that I am super happy with my investment and I am really looking forward to the reviews from other owners. I really am itching to try the dCS NB with this now.

I am not an audio reviewer, so apologies if some of my descriptive narrative isn't brilliant.

George, I've seen you also ordered a Yggy. I am really curious how that one compares to the Onyx.

Hi,

I would like to know technically how the output stage of metrum Onyx/jade is made.
As far as I know, each of the transient modules have their own output, that is summed on the L/R output. 
Can someone clarify this better? Are there any op-amplifiers in the output stage?

Thanks and regards

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Initial reports indicate that the Jade / onyx is on the softer warmer side. Can you confirm this?

I am looking for the opposite: Bright, lively, immediacy for my warm sounding speakers. Any recommendations? R2R including non digital volume control and remote ??? up to 4k used

AIFF - LINN Klimax DS/1 Renew - Grimm TPA XLR - Neumann KH120AW Studio Monitors

On 4.1.2018 at 1:59 PM, granosalis said:

Hi,

I would like to know technically how the output stage of metrum Onyx/jade is made.
As far as I know, each of the transient modules have their own output, that is summed on the L/R output. 
Can someone clarify this better? Are there any op-amplifiers in the output stage?

Thanks and regards

Maybe you find the information here:

http://www.transientchips.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Stereo-dac-motherboard-.pdf

In the Mono DAC board (Pavane, Adagio) they use for the single-ended output a transformer and a Class A amp. Not sure about the Stereo DAC board (Onyx, Jade).

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I have been interested R2R for long time but never actually listened one. I have now Roon + MicroRendu + Hugo 2 combo

taking care of streaming duties. Metrum Onyx seems interesting.., but would Onyx be improvement or maybe just sidestepping?

Hello everyone,

The Jade and Amethyst will be compared on the following system:

432 Evo High-End streamer > USB
Metrum Jade/Amethyst
Croft 25R Preamp
Croft Series 7 Monoblocks
Harbeth Compact 7 ES3
M-Way Cables and Wow Powerblock 

Connections and internal differences

The front  layout on both DAC's is identical with the exception of the Headphone jack on the Amethyst. On both dacs you use one button to switch sources and both have the same annoying volume knob. On the back the Jade has trigger, XLR,  and AES/EBU the rest of the inputs are the same. The Amethyst uses a bigger power supply to feed the headphone Amp. The Jade has a remote control (yay!). 

Sound
There is no tonal difference between the two. If you ask me to describe the difference in one word: More. The Jade is more present, it has more authority and more staging.
 The Jade puts the soundstage further back and it is much wider. With the Amethyst the stage has a clear border and the whole image is more upfront. That last bit also has its impact on the presentation of the high frequencies. Because of the somewhat upfront presentation the details get pushed out, I don't exactly know how to properly describe this. With the Jade you can hear that the details are part of the whole picture, while the Amethyst kinda throws them at you. Bass is a joy with the Jade. Clearly defined and controlled. I found that the Amethyst was a great upgrade to the Hex in this regard, but the Jade takes this to the next level.  Dynamics and punch or impact is also much more improved with the Jade. You can hear the the Amethyst is much softer and less articulate. 
On 1/29/2018 at 7:41 PM, Mark1987 said:
Hello everyone,

The Jade and Amethyst will be compared on the following system:

432 Evo High-End streamer > USB
Metrum Jade/Amethyst
Croft 25R Preamp
Croft Series 7 Monoblocks
Harbeth Compact 7 ES3
M-Way Cables and Wow Powerblock 

Connections and internal differences

The front  layout on both DAC's is identical with the exception of the Headphone jack on the Amethyst. On both dacs you use one button to switch sources and both have the same annoying volume knob. On the back the Jade has trigger, XLR,  and AES/EBU the rest of the inputs are the same. The Amethyst uses a bigger power supply to feed the headphone Amp. The Jade has a remote control (yay!). 

Sound
There is no tonal difference between the two. If you ask me to describe the difference in one word: More. The Jade is more present, it has more authority and more staging.
 The Jade puts the soundstage further back and it is much wider. With the Amethyst the stage has a clear border and the whole image is more upfront. That last bit also has its impact on the presentation of the high frequencies. Because of the somewhat upfront presentation the details get pushed out, I don't exactly know how to properly describe this. With the Jade you can hear that the details are part of the whole picture, while the Amethyst kinda throws them at you. Bass is a joy with the Jade. Clearly defined and controlled. I found that the Amethyst was a great upgrade to the Hex in this regard, but the Jade takes this to the next level.  Dynamics and punch or impact is also much more improved with the Jade. You can hear the the Amethyst is much softer and less articulate. 

Very nice write-up!

Currently I own the Metrum Octave Mk. II and it has served me well and I quite like it. Yet I am thinking it may be the weak link in my system. I am thinking about going up the line to the Onyx and wonder is this going to be a noticeable upgrade or do I need to go to the Pavane? The Onyx I could purchase new, the Pavane, I would have to purchase used if I could even find one. Will the Onyx match the rest of the system in terms of level of performance?

My system : Aurender N100>Metrum Octave Mk.II>Herron Line Stage Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606's. Power cords Audio Sensibility Statements, Audio Sensibility interconnects, TEO Game Changers interconnects, Audio Quest Cinnamon USB, Audio Sensibility Statement speaker cable.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

Having looked at all the reviews, either on the metrum acoustics website or here and there, I believe the Onyx/Jade offer considerable improvement over anything out there :-) . Personally I would always go for new, not only because of the thrill of the burn inn process, enjoying the gradual improvement of the sound while the chips burn in. For me this is part of the "making it mine" process

8 hours ago, Blakcloud said:

I am thinking about going up the line to the Onyx and wonder is this going to be a noticeable upgrade or do I need to go to the Pavane? The Onyx I could purchase new, the Pavane, I would have to purchase used if I could even find one. Will the Onyx match the rest of the system in terms of level of performance?

Since you have been using an Octave for so long, I assume you are used to the Metrum NOS house sound. You will be very happy with an Onyx (same house sound, but considerably more detail without it becoming sharp/analytical).

As for a used Pavane: unless you can get hold of one that has the level2/level3 DAC2 modules (quite unlikely), then I wouldn't bother and go for an Onyx instead.

If you only have digital sources, you could consider cutting out the preamplifier and drive your monoblocks directly, with a Jade instead of an Onyx. Saves 1 component and 1 set of interlinks...

On 31/01/2018 at 7:16 PM, Spinning said:

Yes, possible by changing a jumper.

Judging by the pics I've seen of the Onyx/Jade it's even easier than that: it's an internal switch, marked with the appropriate voltage.

In Pavane/Adagio, it's indeed still a (soldered) jumper.

One note of caution though: I suspect that when going to a substantially different voltage fuses might need changing. Lower amperage in case of higher voltage, and vice-versa.

1 fuse in Onyx/Jade, 3 in Pavane/Adagio.

8 hours ago, Blakcloud said:

Currently I own the Metrum Octave Mk. II and it has served me well and I quite like it. Yet I am thinking it may be the weak link in my system. I am thinking about going up the line to the Onyx and wonder is this going to be a noticeable upgrade or do I need to go to the Pavane? The Onyx I could purchase new, the Pavane, I would have to purchase used if I could even find one. Will the Onyx match the rest of the system in terms of level of performance?

My system : Aurender N100>Metrum Octave Mk.II>Herron Line Stage Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606's. Power cords Audio Sensibility Statements, Audio Sensibility interconnects, TEO Game Changers interconnects, Audio Quest Cinnamon USB, Audio Sensibility Statement speaker cable.

Even when you buy the Amethyst the upgrade will be very much worth it. Jade/Onyx will be better (see my comparison ). I personally dont like the Jade as a preamp in my system.