IGNORED

Metrum Onyx/Jade

Have any of you got any information about the new DACs that Cees is releasing next month? From a combination of social media, photos on the Metrum site and a 6 Moons review of the Amethyst, I understand the following:

Onyx: A Menuet replacement. Features 4 DAC 2 Transient modules in 192KHz configuration. Includes AES as well as USB and both SPDIF input types. Unclear whether it features seperate toroidals per channel as the Menuet had.

Jade: A more affordable Adagio. Same internals as the Onyx but with the Adagio volume control allowing for proper preamp use.

It will be possible to swap out the DAC 2 modules for the faster 384KHz variants at cost. The DACs may even be offered in tiers as the Parvane is.

I have also reached out to Cees using my wife's FB account (I don't use FB) and asked about the possibility of replacing the USB with ethernet for Roon endpoint use (ala PSA DSJ) and he replied it will be possible.

I have also discussed a Metrum network bridge/streamer with him by email and it is something he is looking at end 2017/start 2018 earliest.

Exciting times ahead!

Would be great if people could add any snippets to this as they read of developments.

Ha! Thanks Fred! I have the Musette (with upgraded Transient DAC 2 modules) and Aurix already, set up in my headphone system - Cees is a wizard for sure. I have now ordered an Yggdrasil for my main system, so it'll be interesting to see how the different R2R approaches compare.

Good luck at the show, I hope you have a brilliant time. Please do post your impressions of the new DACs, they'll both be there I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, matthias said:

Interesting that Amethyst has a 30VA power supply, but Jade and Onyx a 15VA power supply only.

Matt

That's because the Amethyst is a headphone amplifier as well as a DAC, so the extra juice is needed to power the headphone section. Neither the Jade nor the Onyx have a headphone section, so the extra power isn't needed.

47 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

That's because the Amethyst is a headphone amplifier as well as a DAC, so the extra juice is needed to power the headphone section. Neither the Jade nor the Onyx have a headphone section, so the extra power isn't needed.

Yes, but if you do not use the headphone amp you get the full power for the dac section. IMO, it is always a benefit for SQ to have a bigger power supply.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 minute ago, matthias said:

Yes, but if you do not use the headphone amp you get the full power for the dac section. IMO, it is always a benefit for SQ to have a bigger power supply.

Matt

But it isn't needed - it's a non-issue.

What is the issue in my view is that both Jade and Onyx have only one toroidal supply each; the Menuet they replace had two, one separate supply per channel. I have asked him why he hasn't carried that over as it improves SQ. He says it isn't needed because of his new design.

Cees knows what he is talking about, so I don't argue, I accept!

At the first day of the XFI show I listened to the Jade, good to share my impressions. The Jade was connected to the Forte amp and a speaker Cees had designed. It was the first hifi show I attended.. I guess I listened about 1,5h in total, mostly with the Jade (the Adagio played about 15-20 minutes). Friendly and good vibe in the room. Cees and the other representatives where very approachable and happy to answer any questions.

Given the unfamiliar music, room, acoustics, used components and several other visitors in the room, I find it hard -if not impossible- to describe one single part of the chain. So unfortunately I honestly can't share an impression of the Jade or Onyx with you. Though one interesting thing occurred when the Jade was switched with the Adagio: I couldn't tell the two apart (again, not the best conditions to have a good listen). Yet, I find this very promising, given the raving reviews of the Adagio (i.e. 6moons). It appears the new line up is in the same proximity as the high end models. 

Had a nice day!

11 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

Thanks Fred!

What was the Jade build quality like? Did you see the Onyx also?

How did Cees speakers sound?

Build quality seems good, although I didn't pick one up or something. I think I prefer the black case. I don't really know how the speakers really sound, for the same reason as described above. It was a small room, with no acoustic treatment. So performance was not near its true potential.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Spinning said:

great choice, i ordered an onyx as well! PS just saw the next page of the review jade/Onyx from 6Moons at https://metrumacoustics.com/reviews-2/

Seems with that kind of verdict one cant go wrong!

I am really interested to discover what SQ improvement the Onyx offers over my Musette, which I have owned for almost two years now and know the presentation very well. The Onyx AES input is very useful and gives me the option to go that route should I consider buying the Auralic Aries G2 or dCS Network Bridge in future. Exciting times!

what ive heard so far, is nothing but great! Went to visit a dealer this week, and couldnt leave, literally being kicked out after a couple of hours! really enjoyed it, and yes aes is more than useful. Little patience but once its there i will be as happy as a little kid on christmas eve!

It seems to be the hottest dac at the moment, especially for that price. Ive heard they sell like crazy so i expect more crazies like us to jump in soon.....

And i was also able to compare to the Pavane, and had difficulties hearing the difference. I believe this is the accumulation of all Cees his hard work throughout the years, resulting in a true masterpiece

Another forum member, FredM, had the chance to listen to the Jade and Adagio recently in Belgium and said he couldn't tell them apart. I am not naive enough to believe there is no difference. I am sure that in the comfort of one's home and with familiar material, some differences will be evident, but for sure it's a good sign.

For me the real challenge now is in making sure I have the best possible source to feed it; the rest of my system is sorted.

1 hour ago, George Hincapie said:

Another forum member, FredM, had the chance to listen to the Jade and Adagio recently in Belgium and said he couldn't tell them apart. I am not naive enough to believe there is no difference. I am sure that in the comfort of one's home and with familiar material, some differences will be evident, but for sure it's a good sign.

It was at the XFI show in the Netherlands, here are my findings: