IGNORED

Ultrasonic noise in some high resolution downloads

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Virtually all ADCs use a sigma-delta (DSD-ish) front-end followed by a digital low-pass filter. At 176/192 kHz and higher output rates, some modulator noise is usually present at the top end, and this is what you're seeing here.

This is a valid concern. The obsession with gentle filters combined with the inevitable high-frequency noise often does more harm than good.

The main reason for using high sample rates is to ensure any filter artifacts are well removed from the audible range, and 96 kHz is plenty for this purpose. Since most microphones only extend to 50 kHz or so, and even that is uncommon, higher frequencies in a recording have little but unwanted noise.

My advice, save your money and buy the 96 kHz version.

Thanks for the clarification, mansr!

I also found some strange behavior regarding ultrasonics in the first track of this 2L-106 Arnesen album in DXD.  While observing the playback of this track with MusicScope, I noticed the ultrasonic noise dropping off abruptly at the 5:25 mark, then returns for a fraction of a second at the very end of the track.  It looks as if someone played around with LPF controls during the mastering of this track.

I suppose doing the master recording at DXD is also intended to support conversion to DSD for release?

Your advice is excellent indeed and I will heed it.  Even Barry Diament's fantastic recordings released at 24/192K show very little musical energy above 30kHz or so.  For a handful of 2L recordings I bought previously at DXD resolution, I will do offline LPF to get rid of the ultrasonic noise.

10 hours ago, scan80269 said:

I also found some strange behavior regarding ultrasonics in the first track of this 2L-106 Arnesen album in DXD.  While observing the playback of this track with MusicScope, I noticed the ultrasonic noise dropping off abruptly at the 5:25 mark, then returns for a fraction of a second at the very end of the track.  It looks as if someone played around with LPF controls during the mastering of this track.

I suspect the recording was done using multiple microphones and ADCs with varying noise characteristics. The music shifts from vocals to organ around the time you mention, so they probably cut out one or more inputs to the mixer there.

• 8 months later...
On 20.08.2017 at 1:34 AM, scan80269 said:

I'm probably late to the party, but I've been discovering significant non-musical ultrasonic noise embedded into certain high resolution PCM music downloads.

It's DSD legacy noise. In general, it is harmless.

The noise can:

• cause audible products at some audio systems;
  • spent part of dynamic range.

But when audible noise present during playback, it is recommended to cut the ultrasound.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 1 month later...

I am also very impressed with the XiFEO software and have run it on a number of 24/96 and 24/192 downloads with excellent results.  Often the output is truncated by 2-3 or more bits, and frequencies above 30-40 kHz filtered out.  Sometimes your're even left with just straight 16/44, at least some of the tracks!  But the sound quality is almost always improved even when file size is cut in half.  Is XiFEO revealing truth in hi-rez files?  Possibly.  Unfortunately, on a few occasions when there has been no effect at all on the output file size , the sound quality is slightly reduced so in such cases I retain the input.

• 3 months later...
On 20 sierpnia 2017 at 1:54 AM, mansr said:

Virtually all ADCs use a sigma-delta (DSD-ish) front-end followed by a digital low-pass filter. At 176/192 kHz and higher output rates, some modulator noise is usually present at the top end, and this is what you're seeing here.

This is a valid concern. The obsession with gentle filters combined with the inevitable high-frequency noise often does more harm than good.

The main reason for using high sample rates is to ensure any filter artifacts are well removed from the audible range, and 96 kHz is plenty for this purpose. Since most microphones only extend to 50 kHz or so, and even that is uncommon, higher frequencies in a recording have little but unwanted noise.

My advice, save your money and buy the 96 kHz version.

Totally agree with above comment - in PCM 24/96 is what I mostly buying. One comment maybe that having 24/192 version may bypass some of your DAC filter stages/upsampling stages as I understood if you have DAC capable of true 24/192 - don't know to be honest in details if that's true and audible at all? 

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

The reason 2L records in 352(DXD) is indeed because it has somehow become accepted to transfer those to DSD.

Native DSD who were famous for only having DSD files, are selling 352 PCM files now... goes by the name DXD?

But has anybody here actually damaged their equipment by playing DXD files?

I had no problems after having compared  these Sound Liaison files, 1 song in 11 different formats; 

compare2017shadow300v76.png