IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Just a quick FYI.  I contacted Kii in order to ask if it was possible to add a feature whereby the user could define the time until the THREEs auto-sleep kicks in (I think it's way too fast, I'd like to extend it to, say, 10-15 minutes while, conversely, others might want it even shorter than it is currently).  Anyway, as is always the case, a fast, pleasant and professional response from Kii was fast in coming--2-3 days, I think. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get a straight answer to my question about the auto-sleep timer, but a little more info. about the upcoming software updater trickled out... so I thought I'd share.

1. As others have noted, there will be a (mac and PC) software update utility being released shortly.  It WILL work with the CONTROL, but I don't know about the THREEs directly; my guess is that it won't--but that's only a guess, Kii said nothing on this one way or the other.

2. The utility should be available shortly after the Munich High-End show (only about two weeks away--yea!).

3. The utility will then be able to download updates which are, for the moment "some new features, [and Kii's] tried to simplify parts of the menu" on the CONTROL.

4. Bluetooth is (still!) coming, but looks like it will not be a part of this first update--it's in the "near future" but also still only "on the horizon"--which, as I said, I take to mean it will not be coming with the first update.

5. Finally, and, to be clear, this is more a case of what they did not say than what they did: this first update(s) seems to apply only to the CONTROL and not the THREEs.  So it looks like we'll get new features and improved usability (certainly welcome), but it looks unlikely that this will mean an improvement to the sound quality, as all of that DSP resides on the THREEs.  I'd hoped that we would get some new revised playback firmware, like maybe an update to the ASRC algorithm (like the improvements that PS Audio keeps regularly making to the PerfectWave DAC), but it looks like that will not be the case.  At least for the time being--although such improvements, like Bluetooth, could also be "on the horizon" as well.

Roon --> ultraRendu/Uptone LPS-1 --> Kii CONTROL --> Kii THREE active speakers (everything on Black Ravioli bases and footers)

14 hours ago, input username here said:

As others have noted, there will be a (mac and PC) software update utility being released shortly

That will be a good option, it does seem a bit of a contradiction that the Kii Control allows so many parameters to be adjusted and yet in many ways those could be even more programable. As you say, such a MAC/PC utility would allow Kii to react to requests for features and to upgrade firmware to maximise the potential of the DACS etc.

Great move Kii !!

14 hours ago, input username here said:

The utility should be available shortly after the Munich High-End show (only about two weeks away--yea!).

I wonder if they will announce any new products? Eg. Subs have been talked about in the past

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

13 hours ago, Mazza said:

I wonder if they will announce any new products? Eg. Subs have been talked about in the past

Great question, I certainly have no idea.  I'd love it if they would introduce the long-awaited and more capable wireless controller... but I take the odd of that as being about zero.

Notwithstanding, Kii subs seem like a strange direction to me.  Firstly,  their technology is not cardioid  below 50 Hz.  So while a sub might be crossed over at, say, 100 or 150 HZ, I don't really a great benefit of going with Kii subs and not, say, a JL or a Velodyne.  Secondly, the THREEs are already flat to 20 Hz, so why would you even want a sub?  True, while I need no more bass in the near-field in my small-ish room, I guess someone with a very large room might want to move more air, but I think a larger Kii speaker (the FOUR or TWO, depending on if they're counting up or down), rather than an add-on sub, would be a more practical solution.  Just my two cents.

Roon --> ultraRendu/Uptone LPS-1 --> Kii CONTROL --> Kii THREE active speakers (everything on Black Ravioli bases and footers)

On 4/30/2018 at 4:17 AM, Mazza said:

Just in from Kii Audio in this morning's mail:

"Should you plan to come to High End / HiFi Deluxe in Munich in May, we would like to welcome you to our room at the Marriott Hotel (Studio 3) where you could be amongst the first to see a new product that could be of much interest for you."

16 hours ago, input username here said:

Great question, I certainly have no idea.  I'd love it if they would introduce the long-awaited and more capable wireless controller... but I take the odd of that as being about zero.

Notwithstanding, Kii subs seem like a strange direction to me.  Firstly,  their technology is not cardioid  below 50 Hz.  So while a sub might be crossed over at, say, 100 or 150 HZ, I don't really a great benefit of going with Kii subs and not, say, a JL or a Velodyne.  Secondly, the THREEs are already flat to 20 Hz, so why would you even want a sub?  True, while I need no more bass in the near-field in my small-ish room, I guess someone with a very large room might want to move more air, but I think a larger Kii speaker (the FOUR or TWO, depending on if they're counting up or down), rather than an add-on sub, would be a more practical solution.  Just my two cents.

They talked once about a Kii floorstander that would use more of the same drivers, enabling more bass and also enabling them to deal with the issue of floor reflections - which wasn’t dealt with in the Three. The sub could do this, I guess, if it is an add-on below the tree that replaces the stands. That’s the configuration that was mentioned a while back.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, firedog said:

They talked once about a Kii floorstander that would use more of the same drivers, enabling more bass and also enabling them to deal with the issue of floor reflections - which wasn’t dealt with in the Three. The sub could do this, I guess, if it is an add-on below the tree that replaces the stands. That’s the configuration that was mentioned a while back.

Interesting.  That would be cool if we could upgrade/expand the THREEs, without loosing our investment in the original speakers.

Also curious as to what this new product could be. The sub idea sounds interesting but I wonder how they would handle crossover, etc.? Another idea might be the XL Kii Control version.. ? I could get really excited about a Roon Ready Kii Control with App Support ... :)

3 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Also curious as to what this new product could be. The sub idea sounds interesting but I wonder how they would handle crossover, etc.? Another idea might be the XL Kii Control version.. ? I could get really excited about a Roon Ready Kii Control with App Support ... :)

Kii "teaser" on FB today ..... Any guesses ? :)

Kii teaser.jpg

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

20 minutes ago, atletico said:

Kii "teaser" on FB today ..... Any guesses ? :)

Chris Reichardt (CEO of Kii Audio) replied to a person who was planning to purchase Kii Three with this:
"You can purchase Kii Threes with full investment security..."

So I think it's a sub-woofer made for the Kii Three system. Exciting times ahead!

13 hours ago, baconbrain said:

I think that the CAT5/6Kii Link would have more than enough (bidirectional) capability to handle the X/O, etc. by letting the THREE know that the "TWO" was connected and vice versa.  Once the firmware recognized the other speaker was attached, it should be able to adjust it's output (X/O) accordingly.

5 minutes ago, PleasantSounds said:

.. and now in full view:

kii-BXT.jpg.b4cedd1627b91396487a8166d887

Yeah, any information on this anywhere?

I shudder to think of the cost....

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

52 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yeah, any information on this anywhere?

I shudder to think of the cost....

As you can see the BXT is an extension for the Kii THREE that can be added at any time, turning the stand mount speaker into a veritable floor stander.
Detailed tech specs will follow later this summer - however adding 16 drivers and another 4000 WATTs to the current Kii THREE will give you a hint on what to expect. 
For our Pro dealers and distributors: yes there will be a PRO version as well.

There is a special Kii THREE BXT System HiFi startup deal available until end of the show (High End Show 2018, Munich).

Pure Vinyl Club

Listen to short demos of the LP Records

and share your experience and observations.

3 hours ago, zachchen1996 said:

Regarding power cables, does anyone know if the furutech FI-50 NCF(R) connector will fit or will only the slimmer FI-C15 NCF connector fit? Thanks!

Only the slimmer plug will fit

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

6 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Wow! 

Wow!

6 hours ago, Pure Vinyl Club said:

... adding 16 drivers and another 4000 WATTs to the current Kii THREE will give you a hint on what to expect. 

16 drivers = no rear-facing drivers?  Odd?

20 minutes ago, input username here said:

Wow!

16 drivers = no rear-facing drivers?  Odd?

Don't know. Maybe there are. No official description yet. 

At another forum someone said Kii told him the price for a pair of the "subs" would be similar to the price for a pair of Kii's. 

Really unfortunate that I will not be able to attend the High End in Munich this year (traveling) especially since it is only 2 hour drive from my place. Would love to hear what these monsters should like.

On the other hand, it is probably better for my bank account, and living space, that I don’t listen to them ....