IGNORED

Movie Pass is $9.95 a month / Unlimited

I seen it on our local news. It sounds like a great deal, however I can't use it, the website says an iPhone or an Android phone is required to use MoviePass. I have a corded landline telephone and have zero interest in a cell phone, so I'm out of luck.

For those who do have an iPhone or an Android phone, $9.95 a month for a movie a day is a killer deal. It may not last forever though as it appears MoviePass will lose money if a customesees two movies in a month and they are allowed to go to a movie every day, also AMC may sue them. See: AMC Slams MoviePass, Threatening Legal Action

Also see MoviePass CEO explains why his $10-a-month business model isn't as crazy as it sounds Even after reading this I can't see how they won't loose a ton of money.

Also how it works: Here's how to use MoviePass, the $10-a-month service that lets you see one movie per day in theaters

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

12 hours ago, Teresa said:

Movie Pass is the idea and creation of one of the guys who created Netflix, so he may know more about these things than us. I still can't see how it can work, in the end, though. 

It's also not terribly useful to me, as it does not apply to IMAX, 3D, or IMAX 3D movies,and those are about all I make the effort to see, IF the movie is a spectacular, visual type. Otherwise my home theater more than covers things.

JC

There are a lot of analytics going behind the scenes here. It is trying to fill the movie theatres, especially when many are suffering from dwindling patronages. The more movie-goers, the more likely they are to buy drinks and snacks from the kiosks at the cinema (high-margin sale). Frankly, it is just trying to get to the minimum sales to at least turn a profit.

Of yes, there is a lot that the MoviePass CEO is not saying, since he would be revealing his trade secret by revealing any more... ;)

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

They used to offer something like this locally where I worked.  One of the larger area employers.  You paid basically the price of a ticket per month.  Had to agree to one year minimum.  People with teenage kids made out like bandits on the deal.

Still most cinemas live or die on the concessions.  So putting more people in the theater was important to their bottom line.  I ended up watching a few movies I otherwise wouldn't.  Sometimes better than I expected though usually not. I went more often when a cinema opened 5 minutes from my house.  Still, while I probably watched 3 times the movies, I didn't go everyday or even every week.  Just not that many movies I would want to watch.  It probably cost me at least as much as if I just went to the few movies I wanted to see.  So had its plusses and minuses just not as fantastic as you imagine it to be.

So that being said, this is a good idea.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.