IGNORED

Obectivist take on motor oil

I know there are more than a few  car guys & gear heads around here.  I found this recently (you may already be aware):

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I can not vouch for the accuracy of his results, but his methodology appears to be valid.  I know many of you will continue to taste, feel and fart on your motor oil in attempt to lift a thousand veils of viscosity and the like, but some of us will might find his method/results helpful.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

This guy needs an editor and to put that info in a spreadsheet or something.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

58 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

new Porsche, yes

old air cooled ones need ZDDP such as Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs*, certain Delo or Rotella oils

Pooschey now sells their own oils too - guess how much it costs????

* not related to Barry

So, you're telling me the purchase price isn't the end of high expenses when buying my Singer?  Damn...

*not really buying a Singer

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

This guy needs an editor and to put that info in a spreadsheet or something.

Yep, that site is in desperate need of formatting.  

Section 28 is useful to me because I realized recently that all three of my vehicles call for 0-20W oil.  Turns out Mobil 1 Extended Performance is the 2nd best oil of this weight he has tested which is a good thing as it has been I reached for the last few cycles....

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

19 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Poor presentation plus HUGE diatribe against "high zinc, low wear" fantasies.

However, really good data once you get past the "introduction".

Now I know why Porsche recommends Mobil 1.

Greg

I have also found that the audio reproduction via my car's audio system is waaaay better when I install Mobil 1 in the crankcase.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:37 PM, Ralf11 said:

get a ruf

it will kill your Singer dreams even tho it has the fugly bumpers

or... do what I did:  DIY as light and powerful as you can [1] afford, [2] think prudent

I just wish I had a '72 unit body, not the '73...

I will probably not be able to afford a Ruf either.

No electron left behind.

My AWD turbo boxer sounds great when running plain old 10w30 dino oil. I did upgrade some of the cables.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

hahaha, crazy ass russians!

Maybe not, it last ten times than regular power steering oil and I guess that there are a lot of beavers in Russia.

It's like 6H30π tube (super tube).  Now in use in HE music gear.

The tube was designed to withstand atomic radiation in case of war, for the original Soviet MIG planes !

Sorry for the out of thread...

Roch

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

For the GT4 or my Practice?

I meant the practice, but a GT4 can be costly.  A friend let me drive his GT-3 on Mulholland drive once and I drove it like a little old lady.  He drove it up before that, and I thought he was going to clip one of the elderly billionaires going down the hill to check his mail...

speaking of the thread title "Objectivist"...

the damage to older car motors form less ZDDP in the oil was not predicted based on mechanistic analysis - it was discovered after valve train parts started failing

so, very much like the epidemiological type analysis done first in the London sewer example, and common today when a cancer cluster is spotted