IGNORED

Would you invest in the microrendu or in a USB isolator/regenerator first?

mR. Get a used one, save enough to buy a regenerator

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

27 minutes ago, simoneratti said:

Hello, can anyone help guiding the decision? I cannot afford both the microrendu and the USB isolator/regenerator. Which one should come first as an investment? Where would you put your money first to improve the quality of the audio system?

That depends if you need an endpoint or are ok with having your PC near your DAC.  I would also recommend looking at the sMS-200 over the mR and also recommend the Ultra version of either endpoint if you go that direction. 

The endpoint has its advantages, but I could sit the server close to the dac initially. It is a fanless NUC running roon rock. The fact is that the microrendu, beyond being an endpoint, also breaks the ground loop, so it partly covers the isolator role. Of course their combined use is the best option but it becomes expensive. I started with the idea of buying the isolator but then I discovered a lot of threads raving for the microrendu and I read about its inherent capability of delivering a clean USB signal to the dac, not affected by the noise produced by the server. So I started wondering that the mr could be the best next step.

15 minutes ago, simoneratti said:

The endpoint has its advantages, but I could sit the server close to the dac initially. It is a fanless NUC running roon rock. The fact is that the microrendu, beyond being an endpoint, also breaks the ground loop, so it partly covers the isolator role. Of course their combined use is the best option but it becomes expensive. I started with the idea of buying the isolator but then I discovered a lot of threads raving for the microrendu and I read about its inherent capability of delivering a clean USB signal to the dac, not affected by the noise produced by the server. So I started wondering that the mr could be the best next step.

I would address any ground loop issue first if you're sure you have one.  Then provide the cleanest power possible to your NUC.  If it's under 50w the new SOtM sPS-500 could do that for a decent cost.

I've owned an mR and an sMS-200.  I have an ISO Regen on order.  I have my fanless server right next to my DAC so have no need for separation.  I'm not convinced an endpoint provides superior sound quality through ethernet isolation.  I've also gone the fiber media converter route which has fallen out of popular favor here at CA.  Every device needs a power supply which is a source of noise.

1 hour ago, simoneratti said:

You are aware that the mR has USB cleanup circuitry similar to the Regen built into it?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

sms-200 or mR first.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono