IGNORED

Amarra 4 Bugs and Workarounds

Gjoslyn

Amarra 4 is buggy but often times there are workarounds that let you avoid discovered bugs.  I would like to share mine and also hear your discoveries.

Metadata Bug: My music library was entirely Apple Lossless.  I found that metadata was occasionally not read correctly.  The prime problem was a part of a record being assigned to "Various Artists" rather than to the artist that is clearly in the metafile as edited by the Mac software "Metadatics".  Of my 1000 records, about 50 were flakey this way.  Further, different music loadings of Amara 4 luxe would give different results.  Amarra 4 sometimes could read the file like I wanted and sometimes could not.

Workaround:  After many experiments, I have found that if I convert the offending albums to FLAC, the metadata is read correctly and consistently by Amarra 4 luxe.  I have fixed about 10 offending records by converting them from Apple Lossless to FLAC.

Confidence in Workaround:  With only 10 files fixed, I am cautiously confident.  I am in the process of converting my entire library to FLAC (I use X Audio Compression Toolkit).  Will update this thread with the results.

Why even care for this buggy product. There are so many better alternatives! 

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

2 hours ago, Gjoslyn said:

[...] The prime problem was a part of a record being assigned to "Various Artists" rather than to the artist that is clearly in the metafile as edited by the Mac software "Metadatics".  [...]

So, just to restate, you verified that ALAC metadata was written correctly, but Amarra attributed some of these files to "Various Artists" incorrectly.  Without changing anything with the metadata, just converting to FLAC fixed the problem.  Is that right?

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I can't be bothered with this--I have 3000+ albums.

I use iTunes for everything but play.

(Thanks to Dancing Sea): I copy--with iTunes--the files I to which I want to listen to a  separate folder and use the "add to library" in Amarra. Closing everything down without saving, dumping the folder contents to the trash and starting fresh for the next listening session makes the start-up and load fast.

I use Chrome as the Amarra 4 Luxe player and have found that if I ignore the activate screen (my trial is expired!) it all works fine.

Greg

12 hours ago, Gjoslyn said:

Amarra 4 is buggy but often times there are workarounds that let you avoid discovered bugs.  I would like to share mine and also hear your discoveries.

Metadata Bug: My music library was entirely Apple Lossless.  I found that metadata was occasionally not read correctly.  The prime problem was a part of a record being assigned to "Various Artists" rather than to the artist that is clearly in the metafile as edited by the Mac software "Metadatics".  Of my 1000 records, about 50 were flakey this way.  Further, different music loadings of Amara 4 luxe would give different results.  Amarra 4 sometimes could read the file like I wanted and sometimes could not.

Workaround:  After many experiments, I have found that if I convert the offending albums to FLAC, the metadata is read correctly and consistently by Amarra 4 luxe.  I have fixed about 10 offending records by converting them from Apple Lossless to FLAC.

Confidence in Workaround:  With only 10 files fixed, I am cautiously confident.  I am in the process of converting my entire library to FLAC (I use X Audio Compression Toolkit).  Will update this thread with the results.

This bug has plagued Amarra for quite some time. I converted my library of AIFF files to uncompressed FLAC after much frustration and it fixed the issue once and for all. I was using Symphony 3.0 without iTunes at the time.

13 hours ago, flatmap said:

So, just to restate, you verified that ALAC metadata was written correctly, but Amarra attributed some of these files to "Various Artists" incorrectly.  Without changing anything with the metadata, just converting to FLAC fixed the problem.  Is that right?

Yes, this is what I observed.  The ALAC files had correct metadata as seen in a editor and the files were treated correctly by iTunes. Amarra had trouble with them. The FLAC, on the other hand, performed as expected. 

13 hours ago, GregWormald said:

(Thanks to Dancing Sea): I copy--with iTunes--the files I to which I want to listen to a  separate folder and use the "add to library" in Amarra. Closing everything down without saving, dumping the folder contents to the trash and starting fresh for the next listening session makes the start-up and load fast.

I use Chrome as the Amarra 4 Luxe player and have found that if I ignore the activate screen (my trial is expired!) it all works fine.

Greg

I have 1000+ albums and the conversion is a chore.

I like your solution, clever. 

3 hours ago, Melvin said:

This bug has plagued Amarra for quite some time. I converted my library of AIFF files to uncompressed FLAC after much frustration and it fixed the issue once and for all. I was using Symphony 3.0 without iTunes at the time.

I hope I have the same experience with FLAC solving the problem. 

IRC not woking for me on the Amarra4. The filter when enabled simply shifts the stereo image to right speaker.

Macbook pro 15\" 2.53ghz core 2 duo with Amarra, 1 TB storage, 6 GB memory -> USB locus-design nucleus cable -> EA overdrive DAC -> -> modded parasound JC1 monoblocks -> cadence ARCA loudspeakers + REL studio III

On 14/8/2017 at 2:55 AM, GregWormald said:

Greg

Hi Greg. How do you use Google Chrome as Amarra Player?

Oscar

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

On 8/13/2017 at 3:55 PM, GregWormald said:

Greg

Yes, I continue to use this method and it works fairly well.  Not perfect, but it avoids having to wade through the mess involved with importing 40K tracks.  

The only downside is that its an extra few steps to getting the music playing.  I just remind myself, "in the old days, you had to sort through a pile of physical CD's in a drawer.  This is faster than that."

I paid for the Luxe license and use it every day.  In browser mode, the sound is superior.

1 hour ago, oscarnr said:

Hi Greg. How do you use Google Chrome as Amarra Player?

Oscar

First, set your default browser to Chrome.  At least on the Mac version, once you launch into A4 Luxe, in the "Window" menu bar option, there is a choice to "launch in browser".  Select it.  Quit A4.  Then relaunch A4.  This should launch A4 into Chrome....

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

First, set your default browser to Chrome.  At least on the Mac version, once you launch into A4 Luxe, in the "Window" menu bar option, there is a choice to "launch in browser".  Select it.  Quit A4.  Then relaunch A4.  This should launch A4 into Chrome....

Thank you very much! I will test it. I tried A4 luxe previously but IRC didn't work and the library management is horrible. Probably maintaining A3 playlist mode + IRC that works fine for me, anyway. 

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

The 320+  builds of Amarra Luxe 4 are the best.

I recommend doing a clean install first by uninstalling any previous versions.

Then reacquire your library. (If it's a large library scan it overnight.)

I like to let A4 go through this process undisturbed.

A4 will sound better once its done with these background tasks anyway.

If you use IRC filter's, they must be "reassigned" and turned ON, within the IRC "Advanced" pane.

At this point I like to quit then relaunch to save the prefs & metadata.

The playlists now default with recently played & recently added playlists.

Try to avoid compressing your file's and stick with AIFF, WAV or DFF ect.. when ripping.

Use Kid3 to add or correct extensive metadata to any file's codec.

You can rescan folders without creating duplicates of the bona fide library or just use the "add to library".

3 hours ago, cosmuk said:

If you use IRC filter's, they must be "reassigned" and turned ON, within the IRC "Advanced" pane.

cosmuk, what do you mean with "must be reassigned"?

After you've created filters in IRC they need to be assigned to one of the four slots.

You then open a file for the filter selection within Amarra Luxe 4.

Sometimes, say if things became corrupted or you've cleared your library. 

Without reassigning the slots they'll either not work at all or you can end up with a corrupted sound stage. 

IRC.thumb.png.37a7d6e80e27e77071cff0115c24a047.png

8 hours ago, cosmuk said:

After you've created filters in IRC they need to be assigned to one of the four slots.

You then open a file for the filter selection within Amarra Luxe 4.

Sometimes, say if things became corrupted or you've cleared your library. 

Without reassigning the slots they'll either not work at all or you can end up with a corrupted sound stage. 

IRC.thumb.png.37a7d6e80e27e77071cff0115c24a047.png

Ok. Thank you. I did that. But IRC doesn't work

On 15/8/2017 at 10:32 PM, DancingSea said:

Hi. Do you have a link to that A4 luxe Mac Os build? My version (latest numbers 295) doesn't have that option ("launch in browser") in the "window" menu bar. Anyway I need IRC and that option doesn't work. I paid the upgrade but it is useless for me. I will continue using the trusty (for me) Amarra Symphony 3.0.2 if I can't resolve these bugs.

On 8/14/2017 at 8:11 AM, Gjoslyn said:

I hope I have the same experience with FLAC solving the problem. 

After having trouble with ALAC and metadata, I converted my entire library to flac.  So far, it looks like A4 read all of the metadata correctly.  My experience suggests that ALAC is not a good file type for A4.  fLAC is good and I have not tried AIFF.

30 minutes ago, Gjoslyn said:

After having trouble with ALAC and metadata, I converted my entire library to flac.  So far, it looks like A4 read all of the metadata correctly.  My experience suggests that ALAC is not a good file type for A4.  fLAC is good and I have not tried AIFF.

Considering that Amarra evolved on the OS X platform, it is strange that it does not take to ALAC or AIFF (my personal experience), but prefers FLAC.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

2 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

Considering that Amarra evolved on the OS X platform, it is strange that it does not take to ALAC or AIFF (my personal experience), but prefers FLAC.

AIFF works (worked respectively) the same as FLAC on my computer in A4.

Never tried ALAC with Amarra (or anywhere on my main system).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

54 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

My reasoning for thinking FLAC might be more stable and giving it a try was that it is a file type supported on both windows and mac so they had to debug it on two platforms. 

Complition albums do do not group well (the album is divided amongst all artists) but that is a stated problem on the sonic studio website. I am thinking of just tagging the artist of each track as "compilation" for grouping and appending the artist to the end of the track title so that information is not lost.