IGNORED

Ethernet Power Adapter interference

I've run into a new problem and didn't know if anyone had any similar experiences/solutions.  Thanks in advance.

I am currently using a microRendu in an area of my house that does not have (and cannot easily get) wired ethernet.  I tried using it plugged into an eero base, but had some drop outs.  I have been using TP-LINK AV2000 Powerline Adapter  with good results.  I changed up my system and with my new Wells Audio Milo I am picking up noise from the power line adapter.  If I move the adapter to a different outlet than my amp is plugged in, it improves.  I still have audible interference (sounds like data transmission to me) but it is better than when both are plugged into the same outlet.  I have had some improvement adding a better/shielded power cable (Cardas Clear M).  It's better but it is still there.  If I turn off the DAC (Schiit Gugnir Multibit), the sound is still there in the background--so I think it is from the amp itself.

Any suggestions? I'm looking into hardwiring the ethernet, but this will be expensive and require drywall work.  I've considered the Auralic Aries, but like my microRendu.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

You could try buying a balanced mains unit and plugging your components into that. You can get one on trial and if it doesn't work then send it back.

I use the Aries Mini myself in my headphone station. It just works brilliantly and you could sell the Sonore to fund the cost.

But try the BMU first. In the UK an excellent one can be bought from Nene Valley Audio for around £500.

33 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

You could try buying a balanced mains unit and plugging your components into that. You can get one on trial and if it doesn't work then send it back.

I use the Aries Mini myself in my headphone station. It just works brilliantly and you could sell the Sonore to fund the cost.

But try the BMU first. In the UK an excellent one can be bought from Nene Valley Audio for around £500.

Thanks. 

Is there a US equivalent or is this only a U.K. Option?

Ethernet over Power is a fantastic alternative. I have been using it for years.

BUT

It does have side effects, one of which is noise. If you search on the internet you will see that the radio enthusiasts hates it as aresult of what it does.

A solution could be to buy something that you can plug your amp into, e.g. power conditioner /filter which should not cost 500 Pounds.

Alternatively just buy a better wifi router or extender.

@mhp_sd -- as @jventer said, a wi-fi extender is a good idea to solve your problem.  if you have any coax nearby, ethernet over coax is an excellent alternative.  i've used these with great success:

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-MoCA-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6000K02/dp/B013J7L6BW/ref=pd_sim_504_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B013J7L6BW&pd_rd_r=WEZ9VNAH5RW6EF0Y4KFS&pd_rd_w=NgljB&pd_rd_wg=wLkGx&psc=1&refRID=WEZ9VNAH5RW6EF0Y4KFS

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I'll second the Actiontec MoCA solution.  I was using the TP Link AV-2000 for my uRendu like you were and when I switched to a Backert Labs preamp I was suddenly hearing all kids of noise from the EoP adapter.  I switched to MoCA and it's been perfect - better and more consistent speed and no more power line noise.  

On 8/11/2017 at 4:05 PM, mhp_sd said:

I've run into a new problem and didn't know if anyone had any similar experiences/solutions.  Thanks in advance.

I am currently using a microRendu in an area of my house that does not have (and cannot easily get) wired ethernet.  I tried using it plugged into an eero base, but had some drop outs.  I have been using TP-LINK AV2000 Powerline Adapter  with good results.  I changed up my system and with my new Wells Audio Milo I am picking up noise from the power line adapter.  If I move the adapter to a different outlet than my amp is plugged in, it improves.  I still have audible interference (sounds like data transmission to me) but it is better than when both are plugged into the same outlet.  I have had some improvement adding a better/shielded power cable (Cardas Clear M).  It's better but it is still there.  If I turn off the DAC (Schiit Gugnir Multibit), the sound is still there in the background--so I think it is from the amp itself.

Any suggestions? I'm looking into hardwiring the ethernet, but this will be expensive and require drywall work.  I've considered the Auralic Aries, but like my microRendu.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

Not sure if you saw this article - 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 11 months later...

I’ve been using Powerline Adapters for years, primarily for APple TV, Bluesound, and various Blu Ray players.  I recently added a NAS and now the adapters —DLink— don’t seem to be able to keep up.  There are two circuit breakers in it’s path.  I will try the TP 2000 and if that doesn’t help may just go the wire the home route