53 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I am not so comfortable with the idea of engaging my legs into a kind of repetitive motions for a purpose of reaching a substitute of audio nirvana. Would you please recommend something more decent or dare I say appropriate?

Repetitive motion is the basis of many pleasurable activities.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

22 hours ago, wgscott said:

Recent in situ photo:

Where are the engines, you getting them rebuilt or something?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 1 month later...

Most modern motorcycles are using a belt drive. Lite, clean and maintenance free, don't know why bicycles are so behind the curve?

10 hours ago, wgscott said:

The crock pot I bought came with a tiny daughter module, which I didn't know what to do with, until I realized it was a sign from above that I should use it for waxing the chain (which sounds kind of vulgar).  Anyway, I do this outside of the garage, so that I can burn down the whole neighborhood.  I'm now waxing chains on 3 bikes, including my wife's road bike.  It is so much cleaner, it makes it a pleasure to work on.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

When a cyclist can put out 25-125 bhp at the rear wheel, when @Sal1950 can descend a twisty mountain canyon faster than a carbon fiber road bike, or hop astride one himself and hold 40 mph for a mile on flat ground without drafting or significant tailwind.  That's when I'll look at belt drives.   

Actually they do exist.  They don't work very well for a number of reasons having to do with real world considerations in our physical world.  Prime among them is the need to replace a 200-400 gram cassette with much heavier and fluid damped internal rear hub shifting mechanisms.  The alternative is picking one gear and still paying a hefty penalty in weight and reactivity.  The closer you get to Dutch "sit-up-and-beg" bikes the less any of this matters.  

Full admission:  I'm a shaft drive guy.  

4 hours ago, rando said:

Heavy,  wasteful of horsepower, expensive to repair,  blah.  :)

On 9/17/2017 at 9:18 AM, rando said:

When a cyclist can put out 25-125 bhp at the rear wheel, when @Sal1950 can descend a twisty mountain canyon faster than a carbon fiber road bike, or hop astride one himself and hold 40 mph for a mile on flat ground without drafting or significant tailwind.  That's when I'll look at belt drives.   

Actually they do exist.  They don't work very well for a number of reasons having to do with real world considerations in our physical world.  Prime among them is the need to replace a 200-400 gram cassette with much heavier and fluid damped internal rear hub shifting mechanisms.  The alternative is picking one gear and still paying a hefty penalty in weight and reactivity.  The closer you get to Dutch "sit-up-and-beg" bikes the less any of this matters.  

Don't know much about bicycles, wasn't thinking about the big problem of integrating a belt in those complicated derailing shifter mechanisms. Looks like the Gates system has it's place but there are problems as you note.

On 9/16/2017 at 9:51 PM, wgscott said:

The crock pot I bought came with a tiny daughter module, which I didn't know what to do with, until I realized it was a sign from above that I should use it for waxing the chain (which sounds kind of vulgar).  Anyway, I do this outside of the garage, so that I can burn down the whole neighborhood.  I'm now waxing chains on 3 bikes, including my wife's road bike.  It is so much cleaner, it makes it a pleasure to work on.

Crock Pot is a good idea. The guy I know must have been using a open flame, like a bunsen burner and a tin can of paraffin. It got knocked over and ignited, then the whole place went up. You can't make this stuff up.

I never wanted to ride with him again, figuring he was a klutz, but actually he won several state championships.