1 hour ago, wgscott said:

Two things (in addition to bodily parts) that nobody is allowed to touch in my house:

1. My bikes
  2. My speakers

Well, yesterday I noticed one of the speakers had been moved.  I knew I heard something was wrong, but it was easily confirmed from the pattern on the wooden floor.  

My wife (I haven't yet had a chance to fill out the divorce paperwork) gloated that she had moved the speaker a tiny amount two weeks previously while cleaning (as if), and that it had taken me this long to notice.  Never-mind that in that timespan we had a few other things going on, like the Rel subwoofer flaming out, the car's transmission flaming out, and other demands.  The cleaning excuse seemed implausible.  If ever I need to hide something from my wife, I just put it in the vacuum cleaner. Not to mention the mountains of dog hair.  The house is a perpetual standoff, and I usually flinch first and do the cleaning.  So I think she moved it just to fuck with me, which, after age 50, has taken the place of ... well, never-mind.

She seems to think it is funny that I re-allign the speakers with a laser measuring device.  Now I have to re-callibrate the room correction.  At least she hasn't questioned why I had the back-up subwoofer stashed in the garage.

Good one.

Regarding the no touching of body parts, does that apply to your body, or just hers? And if yours, that's her idea, too. At least, that's how it works around here.

If I want to hide something from my wife, I put it anywhere in the kitchen, even the refrigerator, except next to bottles of wine. No kidding.

13 hours ago, wgscott said:

Two things (in addition to bodily parts) that nobody is allowed to touch in my house:

1. My bikes
  2. My speakers

Well, yesterday I noticed one of the speakers had been moved.  I knew I heard something was wrong, but it was easily confirmed from the pattern on the wooden floor.  

My wife (I haven't yet had a chance to fill out the divorce paperwork) gloated that she had moved the speaker a tiny amount two weeks previously while cleaning (as if), and that it had taken me this long to notice.  Never-mind that in that timespan we had a few other things going on, like the Rel subwoofer flaming out, the car's transmission flaming out, and other demands.  The cleaning excuse seemed implausible.  If ever I need to hide something from my wife, I just put it in the vacuum cleaner. Not to mention the mountains of dog hair.  The house is a perpetual standoff, and I usually flinch first and do the cleaning.  So I think she moved it just to fuck with me, which, after age 50, has taken the place of ... well, never-mind.

She seems to think it is funny that I re-allign the speakers with a laser measuring device.  Now I have to re-callibrate the room correction.  At least she hasn't questioned why I had the back-up subwoofer stashed in the garage.

What bikes do you have? I trust you follow the formula of n+1 for the correct number, where n is the current total :)

38 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

What bikes do you have? I trust you follow the formula of n+1 for the correct number, where n is the current total :)

I'm down to only two at the moment I can truly call my own (a new custom steel frame and a 1987 Bianchi), but the garage still has at least 12 bikes in it that I paid for, and I adhered to Rule #25 until the bitter end.  (Now we are looking at new cars, and my wife thinks I am insane because I insist on renting them so I can see if I can slide a bike in without removing the wheels, or determine what kind of racks they are compatible with).

3 hours ago, wgscott said:

and my wife thinks I am insane because

Thanks for posting those links to the bike forum. It looks at least as interesting as this place.

Here's my 1999 Litespeed Classic. Got run over by a Chevy Suburban 8 years ago. The Ti frame was unscathed, so now I'm married to it. However, the rest of the bike and my body did not fare as well at the time.

IMG_0736.JPG

Here is the last Bianchi as I purchased it.

598e7e768c1c6_Bianchiframe.thumb.jpg.623b44b5a02d0aa684b1de57957762d0.jpg

That was a really fine riding frame.  It just didn't quite fit well enough.  I hated selling it.  Not the character of the old steel frames I suppose.  Looked much nicer when I put good parts on it, but I don't seem to have pictures of that.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Bianchi,

Before:

24811046951_6958c7ced0_b.jpg

After renewal:

30176972810_36ed496967_k.jpg

Overview.  Thanks for not laughing at the stem.  (Stem and new bars are Nitto.) I matched the reach and stack on my custom bike using this stem, and the result is that it fits far better.

30176956390_8344165bf0_k.jpg

Yup, that's a Crampy triple, and I am not afraid to use it.  Sue me.

29842829703_ddf0966c08_k.jpg

I put a Miche cassette on there (11-29). The rest of the drivetrain is Crampy Athena.  The brakes are Veloce ($34 for those calipers) because I couldn't find silver Athena ones.  The wheels were hand-built by Velomine in Springfield, Ill., and they have polished White Industry hubs and H+ Sons box rims that look classic but are considerably wider than the Amosio ones it came with.

30176951780_b74926bbb2_k.jpg

The only compromise with the Veloce brakes is that they aren't skeletons, but I prefer the look, and being dual-pivot, they are far better than the crappy Modolos that came off.  The pedals are Shimano A600 touring pedals, for those of us who prefer two-bolt SPDs.

30176950650_42f5020a84_k.jpg

White Industries front hub.

30176949180_abc614a753_k.jpg

White Industries rear hub.

30176932720_6f4bdcebb9_k.jpg

Athena "brifters" (god I hate that word) are much nicer than the non-Di2 Shimanos.

Oh no Bill, you are in the Campy camp?  Talk about your feuds. 

Beautiful bike there.  BTW, I have one Campy clad bike, my best bike in fact.  My titanium bike has Shimano Dura Ace.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

I like that Miyata. Is that the rifled steel tubing? I really wanted one of those at the time.

Yes, it's a Team Miyata with the fancy tubing.  Was raced for 20 solid years before getting promoted to easier pastures.  Finally had enough of 7400 Dura Ace and put 6700 Ultegra with much stiffer stem/bars on it.  One of these days its getting permanently mounted on a wall so I don't get tempted to repaint it and ride it forever.

4 hours ago, wgscott said:

Riding the bike.  (I'm talking about chainrings, fwiw).

I ride off-road a lot.  I've switched to paraffin to see if that will help (no grit sticks to it).

No so much into the off road or mtb these days.  Certainly done enough of it though.  I think what you want is Chain-L instead of a crock pot full of wax.      

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Would you recommend USB cable which will do magic with this?

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222393790/1164/Supernova-ThePlug-III-Dynamo.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp333222393790&sc_intid=333222393790&gclid=CjwKCAjwzrrMBRByEiwArXcw2zkTh_I3z0UCMr0Z5Z3q2EBGMW7ymjFan9ggcbtMC2zo_uQbgX9zrBoCYq0QAvD_BwE

this will ensure no noise or crap is used to generate only the best, purest photons in front of you