IGNORED

6.1 Input Jacks - What Are These

I’ve been given my first audio receiver, and I am confused about something.  On the back of the receiver, there is a place to connect speakers (front L/R, surround L/R, center, surround center) with standard speaker wire. But, there are also connections for an RCA-plug-type connection marked 6.1 channel input jacks that are also labeled with speaker designations (front L/R, surround L/R, center, surround center). I don’t know what these 6.1 channel input jacks are for…. Does this mean I could have 12 speakers connected to my receiver? I don’t think so, but I can’t find an explanation for these “second set” of speaker connections.

Thanks!

Sorry, I just re-read your post after my morning coffee and noted the "6.1 channel input jacks" description.  Those are for analog connection of multi-channel audio from an external source such as a blu-ray player.  If available, a digital HDMI connection is typically used for this purpose instead.

On the back of this universal disc player you can see the analog audio outputs just to the right of center:

BDP-103-back.jpg

Here's an example of the multi-channel cable used for this connection:

http://www.markertek.com/product/cra-803/rca-to-rca-8-channel-audio-snake-cable-3-meter

31 minutes ago, Apesbrain said:

Sorry, I just re-read your post after my morning coffee and noted the "6.1 channel input jacks" description.  Those are for analog connection of multi-channel audio from an external source such as a blu-ray player.  If available, a digital HDMI connection is typically used for this purpose instead.

On the back of this universal disc player you can see the analog audio outputs just to the right of center:

BDP-103-back.jpg

Here's an example of the multi-channel cable used for this connection:

http://www.markertek.com/product/cra-803/rca-to-rca-8-channel-audio-snake-cable-3-meter

Thank you!!... I understand it now