IGNORED

More Schiit - Jil Analog to Digital Converter

“Didn’t you guys just release a bunch of stuff?” you ask. In short, yes. But we aren’t quite done yet. 

So say hello to Jil, our first analog to digital converter (ADC.)

Yes. We know. An ADC from Schiit is a bit bizarre. After all, Mike’s last ADC was an all-out assault on the state of the art, a collaboration with Nelson Pass: the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs GAIN system. Jil is a whole lot more modest—and it’s aimed at enthusiasts, not pros. Jil gives audiophiles an affordable way to digitize vinyl, tape, mixing board outputs, or most any other line-level input. It provides convenient front-panel gain control and clipping/overload indication, and interfaces via USB to virtually any popular audio editor.

Price and availability? Jil is $199, and it’s available now at Schiit.com

Product Page: http://www.schiit.com/products/jil

Press Release: http://www.schiit.com/news/news/schiits-first-adc-jil

Please feel free to contact Mike or I if you have any questions.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Mike Moffat

jil_pck_back-1920.jpg

jil-front-1920.jpg

jill_pcb_front-1920.jpg

jil-rear-1920.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

gotta love schiit. Lots of reasonably priced audiophile gear.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

21 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

What, pray tell, in their product line isn't low end to your mind? 

Funny how you always show up when there's an opportunity for an argument. I'm not buying into it. Or feeling the need to explain further. 

Jil must really stand out in sound quality, because feature wise it lacks a lot compared to products from other companies that have been selling ADCs in "audio interfaces" (as they are known in the pro audio world) for very long. Low latency, DAC, heaphone amp, phantom power, DI, pad, etc. Jil is like a "one trick pony".

Examples: Focusrite Solo (100usd - half the price), PreSonus Audiobox (100usd - half price too), Focusrite 2i4 (200usd), Audient iD4 (200usd), etc.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

37 minutes ago, Matias said:

Examples: Focusrite Solo (100usd - half the price), PreSonus Audiobox (100usd - half price too), Focusrite 2i4 (200usd), Audient iD4 (200usd), etc.

Actually Solo and iD4 do not apply as they have only 1 channel input, but I can't edit my post. Focusrite 2i2 does apply though (150usd).

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

This is a niche product.  Not quite as niche as the DSD DAC that did only DSD. 

Would have been nice to see a better level indicator than just an LED that flashes amber or red as you near clipping. I suppose any software you are using will have metering in any case.

The Audient ID4 for the same price looks to be the better deal.  Even a similar shaped enclosure.  Audient is known for good sound too.   For those owning Schiit devices already, and with a use for this one it looks pretty good for the purpose.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Only Audient's iD14 has 2 line in channels to rip a stereo signal, and it costs 300usd. Although it comes with a lot more features.

33 minutes ago, Matias said:

Only Audient's iD14 has 2 line in channels to rip a stereo signal, and it costs 300usd. Although it comes with a lot more features.

While true the ID4 is a different model that sells for $199. While having only one mic preamp it has two lines inputs.  Two headphone outs.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

12 hours ago, esldude said:

While true the ID4 is a different model that sells for $199. While having only one mic preamp it has two lines inputs.  Two headphone outs.

iD4 has 2 channels indeed but they are different between each other: one is a DI input, the other a mic preamp input. Even their specs are different. I would not rip a vinyl with different signal paths between channels. https://audient.com/products-2/audio-interfaces/id4/tech-specs/
That is why the others I mentioned to have 2 equal channels.

28 minutes ago, Matias said:

iD4 has 2 channels indeed but they are different between each other: one is a DI input, the other a mic preamp input. Even their specs are different. I would not rip a vinyl with different signal paths between channels. https://audient.com/products-2/audio-interfaces/id4/tech-specs/
That is why the others I mentioned to have 2 equal channels.

Yes that is correct. I was thinking of the L and R outputs thinking it also had left and right line inputs.  It has two inputs, but not two line inputs.  So you would need to go to the iD14 for two line ins. 

A partly offsetting possibility is with two mic inputs the iD14 could use the signal from the cartridge without use of a phono preamp.  Then do riaa EQ digitally. 

There are really no pro devices that compete with Jil, because they must either have certain added features (e.g. micpres, balanced I/O...) as complete interfaces or must compete upscale at much higher cost.  The latter systems are usually modular: great for pros but a waste of resources for consumers who just want to rip.  I think it's a great thing.  It's fun to see all the new vinyl-ripping hardware and software coming out as vinyl recarves its niche in playback.   

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

13 minutes ago, Sam Lord said:

There are really no pro devices that compete with Jil, because they must either have certain added features (e.g. micpres, balanced I/O...) as complete interfaces or must compete upscale at much higher cost.  The latter systems are usually modular: great for pros but a waste of resources for consumers who just want to rip.  I think it's a great thing.  It's fun to see all the new vinyl-ripping hardware and software coming out as vinyl recarves its niche in playback.   

That is not really so.  Take the iD 14. With a couple of adapters you can send RCA feeds from a phono preamp, and record it.  No different than with the Jil.  Yes it has mic pre's which you don't have to use.  That is about it other than it also has a DAC built in.

Not saying anything bad about the Jil.  It has a niche it could fill quite nicely.  If people feel more comfortable with the product than a full recording interface then good. 

I also see this reversed. An Audient iD14 (300usd) competes with a Modi DAC (100usd) + Magni 2 Uber amp (150usd) + Jil ADC (200usd) stack, has more features and still uses AKM converters.

Again my bad: Audient uses Burr Brown converters. Why can't I edit my posts afterwards? :(

I think you can edit posts for 30 minutes. After that you can't.

But yes the iD14 is stuck with those lousy Burr Brown converters. Which I think is a later chip than what Schiit is using.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

That is not really so.  Take the iD 14. With a couple of adapters you can send RCA feeds from a phono preamp, and record it.  No different than with the Jil.  Yes it has mic pre's which you don't have to use.  That is about it other than it also has a DAC built in...

My point was not that you couldn't easily rip with the Audients, to use your example, rather that you are buying features you don't need.  For the same price, the ID4s could be better ADCs than they are now.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

6 minutes ago, Sam Lord said:

My point was not that you couldn't easily rip with the Audients, to use your example, rather that you are buying features you don't need.  For the same price, the ID4s could be better ADCs than they are now.

In theory that might be so.  In fact, the specs for the ID14 are better than the Jil. 

But hey, we all know it's Schiit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I own an aging but pretty decent vinyl gear : outs via a XLR cable to feed a XLR Bel Canto phono pre that outs XLR and XLR feeds a Jeff Rowland pre.

Nowadays, I could not listen to digital without room correction. Convolving via HQP is how I do it.

Is it possible to feed live HQP with a flux that would come from an ADC that would be fed by my Fidelio ?

Jil seems sub par with the Fidelio and Jeff : suggestion ?