IGNORED

To dCS or to Sonore...To Bridge or to Rendu?

On 8/1/2017 at 6:05 AM, Madra said:

suggestion 1 (cheapest): Upgrade Yggdrasil to USB Gen 5

Initial reports indicate that this upgrade renders the USB input immune to what goes in front of it. This is a cheap upgrade and will let you simplify your system by getting rid of many boxes and PS. 

Suggestion 2 (more expensive): Try a good DDC

I helped a friend install a Sonic Transporter (roon core) / Micro Rendu system with the ifi power supply. The sound was a  major disappointment. We tested a couple of higher end DDCs ( the Berkely Alpha USB and the Soulution 590 USB and both gave excellent results, (going SPDIF into Devialet monos) with the Soulution slightly ahead. Adding a Sonore Signature PS did not provide additional SQ gains over the ifi PS. Both of these DDCs will allow you to connect via AES EBU to your Yggdrasil.

Suggestion 3: DCS Bridge

Initial reviews are very positive. Unless you want more than 24/196 and 64DSD, this is by far the most elegant solution: One box, regular power cable, network in, AES EBU out to the Yggdrasil.

I have an aversion to multiple boxes multiple cables multiple PS solutions. This has nothing to do with performance, just a personal dislike.

Suggestion 3 - where does the ST feature? You can't run Roon just on the DCS.

On 8/2/2017 at 6:45 PM, unbalanced output said:

If you're at TotalDAC and dCS level, there are some serious options to consider. Lampizator, Rockna and Chord are always top names to consider. Take your time to test and decide. I personally wouldn't accept anything on this level that doesn't accept DSD or DXD, so the Adagio may be a very good DAC sound-wise (haven't listened to it), however it is quite limited. 

It isn't 'quite limited' at all. DSD isn't all that and a bag of chips Girlfriend... 

On 8/2/2017 at 7:33 PM, unbalanced output said:

I didn't say it was not a good DAC. However, the Adagio does 96 through optical and 192 through Coaxial. If that floats your boat, great. But IMO unless one strictly wants to stick to CD format, one would be silly to invest that sort of money into equipment which cannot handle a studio-quality recording. 

ps. I never said DSD is a requirement for a good DAC. You're aware that DXD is PCM, right?

You do realise a quality 24/192 recording is insanely detailed and good right? Don't get hung up on a bit rate willy waving adventure please.

I am a self-confessed Metrum fan boy. For a reason.

2 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

You do realise a quality 24/192 recording is insanely detailed and good right? Don't get hung up on a bit rate willy waving adventure please.

I am a self-confessed Metrum fan boy. For a reason.

Sorry to disappoint you then. Get a very good DXD recording and the listen to it downsampled. In my system it does make a difference - big time. It is not about details - you can't distinguish such tiny details - however it just sounds that much more realistic. Come have a listen since you can't taste that on your system! B|

ps. it is not so straightforward to compare though, my DAC will play DXD much better than 24/192 always since the clock that plays DXD is just better. The difference is very obvious. However, to make a fairer comparison if I downsample 24/352.8 to 24/88.2 the difference is also there (however more subtle as one would expect). Upsampling also helps ahead of the R2R conversion but that's a different story. 

Dude, format is just part of the equation. My equipment happens to play dsd better than pcm, but thats perhaps just incidental. In other systems DSD won't play that well I'm sure. My point was just that if you are limited to a certain max format, you are deprived of the pleasure of being able to listen to some recordings. Thats all what my point was about. 

• 6 months later...

Very interesting topic.

Im looking for some simple one box solution with few options:

1. Roon support

2. Output: AES (better) or usb output (will use my berkeley usb to convert to AES)

3. One box (maybe 2)

4. 24bit/92khz is max for my dac, i dont care about DSD, DXD

4. Good known name for future sales

So i searched on internet some time and found dcs network bridge. @Cyrus did you find proper device at the end?

So far i have a huge amount of boxes, which are pissing me off.

My source is:

Router -> netgear switch -> custom PC with linux, withJCAT NET card + uptone LPS-1 -> Sonore ultrarendu + Sonore signature PSU -> 

berkeley usb -> DAC.

LPS-1, custom PC, switch i treat with HD-Plex PSU.

So. i have in total 7 boxes...maaaaan.

Should i tell you guys how costly such solutions, especially if to use silver cables. I use usb audioquest diamond, wireworld ethernet, audioquest raven AES, power cords with oyaide 004 sockets, etc.

I want 1-2 boxes max. PSU + some device. Is that possible to find something in $5-7k range with same or better SQ, compering to my setup??

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

An interesting set-up you have, Cooler.

Simply connect a NAS drive to your router or switch and you could easily save the custom PC + uptown LPS-1 (- 2 devices). In addition you could go for the Signature Rendu which acc. to the Sonore website already has the Signature PSU incorporated or indeed use the DCS NB instead of the Ultrarendu + Signature PSU (-3 devices). From the DCS NB go directly into your DAC and save/sell the Berkeley Alpha USB (-4 devices).

Your system could therefore look like this: Router -> Switch + NAS -> DCS NB -> DAC

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

Bricasti M5 will give you AES and Roon support  and has a quality internal PS. So you can eliminate boxes.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

16 hours ago, Raimund Heubel said:

An interesting set-up you have, Cooler.

Simply connect a NAS drive to your router or switch and you could easily save the custom PC + uptown LPS-1 (- 2 devices). In addition you could go for the Signature Rendu which acc. to the Sonore website already has the Signature PSU incorporated or indeed use the DCS NB instead of the Ultrarendu + Signature PSU (-3 devices). From the DCS NB go directly into your DAC and save/sell the Berkeley Alpha USB (-4 devices).

Your system could therefore look like this: Router -> Switch + NAS -> DCS NB -> DAC

Thanks, i have NAS, but its not enough for Roon, in my situation the best scenario is : Router -> Switch -> Custom PC -> DCS NB -> DAC

Which is fine for me, the question is in SQ, i dont want to go down with eliminating boxes.

14 hours ago, firedog said:

Bricasti M5 will give you AES and Roon support  and has a quality internal PS. So you can eliminate boxes.

Thank, put it into my list as well!!

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

4 minutes ago, Cooler said:

... the question is in SQ, i dont want to go down with eliminating boxes.

I would assume the NB sounds as good as the Sonore products but I have to admit I have not heard these devices in direct comparison tests. Which DAC do you have in your set-up?

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

@Cooler     

I feel your pain and totally get the need to eliminate some 'boxes' in the chain. Both @Raimund Heubel  and @firedog  have given you good advice.

I really wanted to give the dCS NB a go, but received a Signature Rendu SE by mistake (long story). It was (is) impressive in what it did for my system. The Signature Rendu SE replaced 2 power supplies and the ultraRendu and isoRegen as well as the cabling associated with them. Replacing the Router and Network Switch is not possible (for me) at this time as well as the Small Green Computer sonicTransporter AP and the associated power supplies. Certainly an upside in a reduced box and cable count, but not an 'ultimate' solution.

Both the SOtM LAN cabling/Filter and selecting the Stealth USB cable (after a six USB cable shootout) resulted in the sound performance I was looking for.

At some point I will look to a component that is Ethernet in and also serves as Roon renderer (or Roon Core/Renderer). Your approach to put all the costs associated with the multiple boxes and cabling into a more robust and hopefully single solution makes complete sense (to me).

This is a purely aesthetic point, but I DO LOVE not having the small mess behind my DAC. The Signature Rendu SE has the look of a component and I can isolate it properly and there are NO weight related 'dangling' issues from cables nor a need for a homemade support solution.

An option not mentioned would be the new Antipodes CX + EX combo as a solution to your question.

I haven't been active on CA of late, and I will update my signature. Two major changes in the component chain: the Denafrips Terminator has fully replaced the Schiit Yggdrasil and the Tekton Design Double Impacts were upgraded to the Special Editions a few months ago. I've also added a Lyric Ti 140 MkII tubed integrated amp for testing out tubed component direction (my primary system is completely solid state at this time).

1 hour ago, Raimund Heubel said:

Which DAC do you have in your set-up?

I recently moved to tube mono brand setup.

I use Audio Note 2.1x Signature DAC, it has AES/EBU and SPDIF inputs only, this is why i use berkeley usb converter. Amp is also Audio Note, its Oto Phono SE Signature along with Audio Note AN-J/Spe speakers.

33 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

but received a Signature Rendu SE by mistake (long story)

Haha, great mistake, btw! :) 

35 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Antipodes CX + EX combo as a solution

Yes, i read about these devices, looks like its modded PC with good PSU and sotm parts, so for me it makes no sense to go for them. I did some modes already for my PC and had plans to add sotm clock inside as well. I understand, that PC will stay in my rack for a long period, only streamers will arrive and leave.

2 hours ago, Cooler said:

I use Audio Note 2.1x Signature DAC, it has AES/EBU and SPDIF inputs only, this is why i use berkeley usb converter.

Whereas I do not know the Audio Note equipment too well I agree leaving USB out of one's DAC is a good decision. One must not underestimate the EMC noise from a computer and distortion by USB cables causing a distorted audio signal and jitter issues in the DAC.

Hence the proper isolation of the digital signal plus its re-clocking by an extra unit such as the Berkeley USB -> AES/EBU converter does make much sense. But make no mistake a DCS NB or Sonore Signature Rendu are also Computing devices which still require the isolation/re-clocking of the digital signal BEFORE it reaches the DAC.

So I need to correct myself here, I suggest you keep the Berkeley or other more modern isolating/re-clocking devices in your chain.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

• 5 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 8:02 AM, Cyrus said:

@Cooler@Raimund Heubel @firedog

I really wanted to give the dCS NB a go, but received a Signature Rendu SE by mistake (long story). It was (is) impressive in what it did for my system. The Signature Rendu SE replaced 2 power supplies and the ultraRendu and isoRegen as well as the cabling associated with them.

Great info as I am in a similar situation. To be clear, in your original post you were using the microrendu but moved to the ultrarendu correct? And the urendu + LPS1 + HDplex PSU were bested by the Sig Rendu SE correct?

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

Thanks very much. I'm debating to move to the Signature Rendu SE or move to the DCS NB. I haven't seen any comparisons but my gut says the DCS is better but also more $.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

The real answer here would depend on the DAC and the sample rate(s) requirements.

The dCS is SPDIF output, and limited in terms of ultimate sample rates, this will work best for DACs with very good SPDIF inputs (not many) and for lower sample rates

The Sonore is USB output and can handle sample rates up to 768 PCM and DSD 512 (maybe even higher, but these are confirmed). it will work best with a DAC with a good USB input (because of the high USB signal integrity it will improve the USB input performance of any DAC), or a good USB-SPDIF converter (but the converter will have sample rate limitations again).

So, we are talking somewhat DAC dependent here, and one has to consider what sample rates are important as well.

The dCS is about $1500.00 more, but at this level of price/performance I would suspect that to be a bit less of a concern.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@sb6    @barrows nails it. 

For me, I was already heavily invested in USB, so once I heard what the Sonore Signature Rendu SE did in my system, the need for bringing in the dCS NB became a non factor. Had the dCS allowed for USB out (which was promised, but not available at that point...still don't know if it is) I would have conducted a head-to-head comparison.

I'm sure both will be superb. Good luck with your choice.

10 hours ago, barrows said:

The dCS is SPDIF output

dCS has doubled AES output, which is very common standard for almost every DAC. Furthermore, AES is usually better implemented, than usb. I know only about Chord Dave, which has really great usb input.

This is sad, that Sonore does not provide rendu with AES output and its a big benefit to dCS imho.

I would argue more don't have dual AES inputs than do. I'm not arguing that dual AES is better or not but other than TotalDAC, Esoteric (which I believe is proprietary anyway), other? How may other major companies implement dual AES?

7 hours ago, Cooler said:

dCS has doubled AES output, which is very common standard for almost every DAC. Furthermore, AES is usually better implemented, than usb. I know only about Chord Dave, which has really great usb input.

This is sad, that Sonore does not provide rendu with AES output and its a big benefit to dCS imho.

Yes, but AES is SPDIF!  That is my point.  The only difference is that it is a balanced signal, it is still SPDIF.  Personally I did not bother to distinguish between the two.  In fact, you can make "AES" from single ended SPDIF with just a transformer, it is just a balanced version of the same standard, and nothing "special", hence its inclusion on many DACs.

I completely disagree with your second opinion: SPDIF/AES is not well implemented on many DACs: for the most part, it is not an asynchronous interface (with exceptions such as the Ayre QX-5), and this means the master clock is in the source rather than at the DAC, this is a big disadvantage over asynchronous USB.  The negative opinions on USB are widely over estimated/exagerrated.  The only real "problem" with USB is that most people's experience with it is by using a poor USB SOURCE (like a normal computer USB output) which brings lots of noise to the DAC.  If one uses a good USB source, the USB input of most DACs will provide superb performance.  (The same can be said for SPDIF/AES, a poor SPDIF/AES source is going to provide poor performance as well).

Sonore does make a very good, fully isolated, "Femto" clocked, reasonably priced, USB-SPDIF converter for those customers whose feel the need for a SPDIF input to their DACs.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 8/2/2017 at 2:07 PM, firedog said:

Check Playback Designs. As good or better than some of those mentioned here. Prices not in the stratosphere (relatively) for some very good gear.

This is where I was going until I tried the PS Audio DirectStream for a lot less.  Digital changes quickly and I'm no longer willing to take such a loss on obsolete audio equipment.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

3 hours ago, sb6 said:

I would argue more don't have dual AES inputs than do. I'm not arguing that dual AES is better or not but other than TotalDAC, Esoteric (which I believe is proprietary anyway), other? How may other major companies implement dual AES?

You can use just one. :)

2 hours ago, barrows said:

it is just a balanced version of the same standard

And it is important!

SPDIF/AES is not well implemented on many DACs

Much better, then usb imho and i know many people, who found AES in their dacs sound better, then usb, the only exception i know, as i said is Chord Dave.

The negative opinions on USB are widely over estimated/exagerrated

It is because, usb was made not for audio purposes from the beginning, and AES came from audio studios along with XLR plugs. Yes, Sonore found th way how to cook usb, it is on high level now, but you fight with poor usb design first of all.

Sonore does make a very good

I believe you, thats why i have ultrarendu. :)

USB-SPDIF converter for those customers whose feel the need for a SPDIF input to their DACs

Few concerns about that. I dont want to have many boxes in my setup, many boxes mean many connections, many cables, many power supplies and much money spend. I already have berkeley usb to SPDIF and AES conversion, but i really expected to get sonore ethernet->aes super-feta-rendu device. I hope you will unveil it some day, ;) especially after such aggressive advertisement from dCS network bridge on the top of this forum.

About AES vs SPDIF. 

I cannot give you proper answer why AES is better than SPDIF, just because i forgot all details, honestly)) But i remember, that AES "keeps" signal in long run, even with 100m cable without any issue, and SPDIF only works with 10m max.

So there is some signal degradation happens, maybe on 1 meter you would not hear it, it depends on cable quality and your system of course.

25 minutes ago, Cooler said:

You can use just one. :)

Sorry, but you're missing my point - you stated, " dCS has doubled AES output, which is very common standard for almost every DAC. " which is a false statement.

2nd statement you made above, "You can use just one". Yes, but that's a separate (albeit related) topic. 2 AES has the benefit of higher bandwidth / dual signal paths. For example, the DCS NB with 1 AES =  PCM at up to 24 bit 192kS/s or DSD/64, dual AES = PCM at up to 384kS/s, DSD/64 & DSD/128.