IGNORED

JRiver 22 + Win10 Creator Update Problem

Hi,

I waited with Win 10 - 64 Pro Creators Update, and yesterday decided let's update, and in Microsoft usual way more problems generated than solved, 

I can start JRiver 22 and playback on the PC is working fine, but as soon I switch to S/PDIF converter (M2Tech HiFace EVO) blues screen appears, with

stop code, and what failed: vadspdif64.sys. Up to this update worked fine with different versions of JRiver.

I would like to know if somebody is having same issues?

JRiver 22.0.108

Windows Edition 10 Pro / Version 1703 / Build 15063.483

WARNING:

For users of HiFace EVO, I received feedback from M2Tech:

At the moment, the only way to have your Evo working with Creators Update is disabling exclusive access. Alas, this will prevent JRiver using any sampling frequency different from the one set by Windows.

They are currently closed for vacation, allegedly after holidey new driver will be made.

I believe it's the driver for the converter which is causing your issue.  I use JRiver19 and have a specific driver for my DAC by the DAC maker.  After the W10 upgrade, the PC and JRiver would boot up fine but once you start to play on JRM, 5-8 seconds in the BSOD came up along with the stop code.  After doing the usual PC diagnostics I then deleted and reloaded JRM 19 including deleting and refreshing the libraries, upgrading to JRM 20 (I had already paid for it a while back), etc.  Nothing fixed the BSOD issue.

I emailed the DAC maker who indicated there were similar cases and that they were working on a new driver.  After about 10 days later I had the driver, it loaded up fine yesterday and all is good now with JRM playback.  What M2Tech said is correct, by disabling their driver you end up with the W10 default driver which for me, sucked.  Good luck and patience waiting for the driver.

FLAC and AIF files mainly 192/24 and lower on Synology DS412 4x4Tb WD Red  in SHR2>direct ethernet to NUC>Intel NUC5PPYH w/JR Media 20 Akasa Newton P fanless case and DIY o11 LPS>Straightwire USB cable>W4S Recovery w/LPS>W4S DAC2DSD V2 w/Femto clock>Kimber Silver Streak balanced>Balanced Audio Technology VK3000SE>Kimber Monocle XL>Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders

I got same response from Marco @ m2tech

I have Metronome C6, which is also based on m2tech usb

Strange thing is that I upgraded JRiver MC21 for my friend to MC23, and he has EMM, which is based on XMOS I think.

And it does not work anymore with WASAPI. Frankly, he has ASIO

So it looks to me like an issue with JRiver MC22 and MC23 since foobar2000 works fine and MC21 works as well

Hi Michael,

Awesome Donkey replied to your thread on JRiver Forum, confirming that it is a Microsoft Bug, wich I knew from the start. Because the M2Tech driver is from 2011, and it worked flawlessly with win 7, 8 and till now 10, and JRMC versions from 17 to 22.

And in the same post he explained why Foobar is workng, Foobar updated WASAPI 3.3 component in June.

And for myself I couldn't listen to direct sound, because soundwise it cannot be comaperd to the sound I had with WASAPI driver, so I made roll back to the previous Windows build. 

The problem with this hobby is that we depend on Microsoft, my HiFace EVO in computer life time mesurement is old device, but we are talking only 5 years. And I don't feel the need to buy something new because soun is wonderfull. But in situation like this, what to do!! 

Microsoft is know to be lazy in solving issues like this, and what if manufacturer say we won't make new driver for device not in production anymore?!

I did not update foobar on my audio-pc for maybe 3 years as I use JRiver 100% of the time, so WASAPI component is essentially the same there.. and it still works.

I exchanged few emails with Marco around a month ago, he told by that by the end of August when his team will be back from vacation they will look into it.

My problem, actually, with this is more severe - as I have a custom-built driver by m2tech for Metronome (signed by m2tech certificate in 2011 also). 

BSOD on my PC showed unhandled exception in m2tech driver (metron64.sys in my case), usually it is quite simple to fix..

Frankly, I am working with Kernel Streaming now, and it works smoothly with all the formats, however I remember that it was not the case. So I'm afraid that Microsoft will one day introduce some 'security fix' that will bury also KS

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 7:34 PM, Music Matters said:

Hi,

I waited with Win 10 - 64 Pro Creators Update, and yesterday decided let's update, and in Microsoft usual way more problems generated than solved, 

I can start JRiver 22 and playback on the PC is working fine, but as soon I switch to S/PDIF converter (M2Tech HiFace EVO) blues screen appears, with

stop code, and what failed: vadspdif64.sys. Up to this update worked fine with different versions of JRiver.

I would like to know if somebody is having same issues?

JRiver 22.0.108

Windows Edition 10 Pro / Version 1703 / Build 15063.483

I got the same problem and hope to solve it through this forum. I'm a layman!