IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

Would like to post a somewhat philosophical question.  I have a relatively large CD collection (about 1200 CD's), but ALL are recorded in Apple lossless format with sufficient backup (to ensure I will not lose the files later). My question: should I now get rid of the source CD's?  This is an issue because I am downsizing into a smaller home now that my kids are all moved away, and room for the CD's is becoming a challenge.

On the keep side, I have spent several decades accumulating the collection. I am reluctant to let them go in case I might need them again.

On the get rid of side, for the vast majority of the collection, I seldom use the actual CD.  Just listen to the digital copy.  For all practical purposes, I live in a "playlist world" where I seldom listen to all the contents of a single CD. 

I am beginning to feel keeping them may just be an unreasonable fear of change.  

Any thoughts from the forum?  

Thanks,

Grayson

I agree with Speed Racer.  There is no giving them away; either hang on to them or throw them away, since you have their digital copy.

Question:  what about the vinyl we own?  I realize that it is not a medium that is inherently rippable, but now there are forums about "needledrops" and their hirez abilities.  Is it only those that have been digitally transcibed that are not sellable/give-away-able? 

Simple question: If you destroy or give away the CD's, how could you ever prove that you have a valid license to the digital copies you kept of those CD's?  Even if you kept all your receipts for the purchases, how could you prove that you didn't sell the CD's?

Just because a lot of people own "pirated" copies of music in digital form doesn't make it legal.  Ultimately, our ability to obtain music (whether legally or illegally) depends on artists being able to produce it and most artists can't produce music if they don't get paid for doing so.

Music today, whether in CD form, or streamed through Tidal, Spotify, Pandora et al, or purchased through iTunes, is so cheap that most of us have no excuse not to pay for our listening pleasure.  

To the OP, if storage is the issue, there are certainly places where you can store a box of CDs in an environment where they don't deteriorate and that wouldn't cost much.  If you ever do tire of listening to their music, I'm sure someone would appreciate both the Cds and your digital copies thereof.  

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

5 minutes ago, joelha said:

After only 93 posts, you're doing a great job of ingratiating yourself with the CA community.

You might reconsider your tone. Everybody's got opinions.

But no one else is name calling.

Joel

Given that he ("George Hincapie") has taken the name of a famous cyclist as his handle, it would seem  he doesn't have much regard for copyright or other concepts of ownership. :|

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

19 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

Given that he ("George Hincapie") has taken the name of a famous cyclist as his handle, it would seem  he doesn't have much regard for copyright or other concepts of ownership. :|

Maybe he is the famous cyclist.

Or maybe he is not and yet his name is George Hincapie.

My actual name is one of a famous fictional person.  More than once someone has assumed I was using the character name and not believe it was my name. 

Beside that you don't own your name nor can you apply copyrights or similar rights of ownership.  One can even legally change names. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

@Grayson64 I read your post as primarily being about storage vs the value / nostalgia of holding onto the physical copies. As such the ethics element is kind of a sideshow assuming you weren't looking to profit. Donating them to a charity shop for instance might be legally dubious but reasonable for the conscience. 

Personally I'd hold onto them as the physical cd is nice to hold/feel and may contain memories down the line that the digital copy doesn't. Also who is to know what format we'll be using in 10 to 20 years time and whether ripping again from the cd will be advantageous vs converting from FLAC / AIFF etc. It probably won't be, but who really knows. 

If storage is your main driver the advice around getting rid of the cases and keeping sleeves & discs is sound. 

FWIW I lost CD's twice. Once I sold loads. The other time I was burgled. I regretted both and ended up buying many of them again. The originals have sentimental value. Even if the convenience of browsing via a streamer makes playing the actual cd a rare event. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

29 minutes ago, esldude said:

What if I buy my discs in the USA and move to Europe?  Do I lack rights to listen to those discs in Europe or do I now magically own the music giving me instant access to keep copies as I wish?

It depends.  Did you buy the discs with mobile rights or the stationary ones?

15 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

It depends.  Did you buy the discs with mobile rights or the stationary ones?

Well I don't recall having that choice at the checkout counter. :)

If I take them to Australia do I need to get the right to spin them upside down and backwards or buy all new Aussie discs?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.