Jump to content
Superdad

USPCB A>B Adapters can now be ordered at UpToneAudio.com!

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

On 15.3.2018 at 8:09 PM, Superdad said:

By the way, we had a small break in our super-busy-ness (x-D), so John finished the new USPCB Adapter layout for the frequently requested microB version (for Chord DACs, etc.).  Am submitting the board files and bill-of-materials to our board house today.  So it is safe to say that in about 4 weeks we will at last be able to offer this new version to those who have been asking for it.

 

And will an ˚˚extended˚˚ version be available soon as well ?

 

Meaning there will be enough space between a DAC and the UltraRendu to inserting cables. In specific the 90 degrees Metz Ethernet plug ?

 

Only 10 mm extra should be sufficient. (Have to verify)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2018 at 11:56 AM, R1200CL said:

 

And will an ˚˚extended˚˚ version be available soon as well ?

 

Meaning there will be enough space between a DAC and the UltraRendu to inserting cables. In specific the 90 degrees Metz Ethernet plug ?

 

 

 

@Superdad

 

+1 on this. 

Would love to use a USPCB between my DAC and the UltraRendu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone used a USPCB with an ultraRendu, SU-1 and stiff Ethernet cable like Supra? I am trying to decide if this combo is feasible and if so, with the regular or 90 deg USPCB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oneguy said:

Has anyone used a USPCB with an ultraRendu, SU-1 and stiff Ethernet cable like Supra? I am trying to decide if this combo is feasible and if so, with the regular or 90 deg USPCB. 

 

Use the 90 degree if you have a stiff Ethernet cable, (there is no other way present), and use the 90 degree Oyaide DC power. (With JSSG).  

 

You will need to lift the SU-1 about a cm. 

 

Pictures hee:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34836-uspcb-ab-adapters-can-now-be-ordered-at-uptoneaudiocom/?do=findComment&comment=750704

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

 

Use the 90 degree if you have a stiff Ethernet cable, (there is no other way present), and use the 90 degree Oyaide DC power. (With JSSG).  

 

You will need to lift the SU-1 about a cm. 

 

Pictures hee:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34836-uspcb-ab-adapters-can-now-be-ordered-at-uptoneaudiocom/?do=findComment&comment=750704

 

 

Thanks! I’m looking to simplify my digital setup and the USPCB is a part of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chiler54 said:

Is the USPCB really better than ANY USB cable? Is there a test or a comparison?

 

It is a 4-layer, shielded, and impedance-controlled circuit board. So it measurably modifies USB signal integrity (as seen on a eye-pattern) less than any cable.

ALL USB cables alter SI in some way (again, measurable)—which is why differences are heard between cables can be heard.

 

Use of our 45mm USPCB A>B Adapter eliminates the use of a cable—so technically it is more “transparent.”.  The choice of that direct connection versus some euphonic enhancement provided by a cable in any particular application is a subjective one.

 

We designed the USPCB primarily as a means to preserve signal integrity and impedance match between our SI-improving ISO REGEN and your DAC/DDC (hence we include one with every ISO REGEN).  In that application it is ideal.

Other connections not involving an ISO REGEN may benefit from the SI-alteration that a USB cable provides.  Even with the ISO REGEN some people may (and do I know) prefer a bit of “enhancement” by a cable.

So we offer the USPCB Adapters as a way for people to know the true “sound” of a direct-connected source.  For better or for worse. 9_9 The $35 price is rather modest so it is a nice item to have on hand as a reference against various cables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2017 at 12:33 AM, Cornan said:

I have a ISORegen plus an additional USPCB on order. I already know that it will be impossible to use the USPCB both pre & post ISORegen due to space requirements. My question is if anyone here have tried to use the Audioquest dragon tail with the USPCBs? I am planning to buy it and use it together with the USPCB between my Aries Mini and ISORegen and have the other USPCB between ISORegen and Brooklyn DAC.

 

http://www.audioquest.com/dragontail/dragontail-for-android-devices

dt-top-view.thumb.jpg.ebacf2c34170bc3219e5d113dd67fc53.jpg

 

Any SQ impressions with the combo would be appreciated! :)

 

 

 

 

I’m extremely interested in this combination as well.

 

Now that Ive moved to an ultraRendu, Ive had to give up using my USPCB and back to a USB cable. I miss the sweet clean highs and midrange of the USPCB. The DragonTail option might physically fit for me, but how much affect does it have on the USPCB sound quality? Or would a newer replacement cable be better than a piggy backed combo of smaller connections?

 

Yes Ive tried a short Curious, did not like the sound of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Now that Ive moved to an ultraRendu, Ive had to give up using my USPCB

 

Why ?

 

Cause of power or ethernet or both ?

 

Did you have a straight or 90 degree USPCB ?

 

What is UltraRendu connected to ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

 

Why ?

 

Cause of power or ethernet or both ?

 

Did you have a straight or 90 degree USPCB ?

 

What is UltraRendu connected to ?

 

Because of the limited space for components and Ethernet and USB and my analog cables.  If I had some more (flexible) connection I could have the UR somehow attached to the shelf above. Even with more/flexible connection it may be difficult. And yes it would help if the UR had Ethernet/power in at one end and USB out at the other end.  

Yes already have the 90 degree version which helps with the mR but doesn’t solve things for the uR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

 

Because of the limited space for components and Ethernet and USB and my analog cables.  If I had some more (flexible) connection I could have the UR somehow attached to the shelf above. Even with more/flexible connection it may be difficult. And yes it would help if the UR had Ethernet/power in at one end and USB out at the other end.  

Yes already have the 90 degree version which helps with the mR but doesn’t solve things for the uR.

 

If the 90 degree version restricts your analog connections, then you probably have a challenge. Picture maybe ?

 

The ethernet and power can be solved. 

 

Power is the easy one. 

 

If the distance between usb input of your connecting device and the lower edge isn’t too wide, the ethernet cable will pass under your whatever you have. 

 

If not, you may use a not so good ethernet cable, or try a blue jeans ethernet cable. 

 

IMG_0622.thumb.PNG.eff526a63f85bfd5edfd139027dd0218.PNG850864A4-0EE9-4452-9845-923FB75FA63A.thumb.jpeg.6ba6b5f2e5440a26abe5b5b9e0859623.jpeg

 

The picture shows power used before I changed to 90 degree DC power plug. 

 

You may ask Alex if (when😀) he plans an extended version of the USPCB to solve these issues most of us have when using it with the UltraRendu. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your photo is inspiring (seriously). My DAC is the Chord 2Qute which is almost the same width as a uR, with separate analog outs and power very close and it’s all up high on a shelf with thick and stiff CAT6, so its all very limiting. Just the weight of a uR would probably pull the 2Qute off my shelf.

 

Another question to the brains trust here, is what other extremely short USB cables are worth considering? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a closer look at the space I have and the limitations and the only way I could get the uR and the DAC connected properly with a USPCB is with a custom made shelf / harness.

 

In fact to even get them connected with a short 15cm cable or DragonTail, I would need at least some sort of construction so that the uR could fit over the top of the DAC with the USB cable looped down from above.

 

And checking out the DragonTail its a good 15cm anyway, so why not just use a single cable of the same length?

 

So failing a new longer flexible ribbon version of the USPCB.., I am now looking for the next best thing, a second best to the USPCB - a very high quality short USB cable.

 

But R1200CL you have definitely got me thinking about some sort of custom connection rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it seems very simple to connect the UltraRendu direct to Chord 2Qute DAC by the 90 degree uspcb. But as long no pictures I can’t know of cause. 

 

Either lift the Chord 2Qute one or two cm, or place the UltraRendu on top of the Chord 2Qute, by placing it the way the other picture shows. 

794E99D2-8274-458B-8715-E7A3D9FE26BC.jpeg

DEFFC575-3789-4D03-A8EC-F20EE51AF949.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are 2 pics how I connected my SOTM200 to my Chord eQute with with an USPCB. In Pic1 only the USPCB is used. It is a bit of a squeeze, but it does connect. Each unit is powered by a S-Booster. If you need a bit more distance you can attach an USB-A-USB-A  extender to the USPCB as shown in pic2. Soundwise I  preferred the USPCB to an Audioquest Coffee Cable. Especially the dynamics are better. 

If you need a (very) short flexible USB cable  I can recommend www.elijahaudio.com : he can make one for you. I have used one with similar good effect as the USPCB for a previous DAC.

Pic1.jpeg

Pic2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like the USPCB's sound improvement, I have two of them sandwiching an ISO Regen. The problem however is that the USPCB is too short for use on the power jack side of the ISO Regen. The wire into the Oyaide DC power connector barrel has to bend 90 degrees to clear an attached streamer  and the torque created makes it easy for the USPCB to lose connectivity. You also loose flexibility in equipment placement, makes your gear setup look like audio equipment on a shish kabob stick.

 

Is a newer version of the USPCB under consideration to eliminate this ergonomic conflict in using USPCB/ISO Regen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

The wire into the Oyaide DC power connector barrel has to bend 90 degrees to clear an attached streamer  and the torque created makes it easy for the USPCB to lose connectivity.

Ghent has DC cables of right-angle Oyaide connectors. Should solve problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May be a dumb question, but is there a real benefit by adding additional USPCP before the galvanic isolated (any brand) in Addition to post galvanic ? So one can get the shortest path from PC to the  galvanic device as well ? Since it is before galvanic isolation would it matter ? If it helps I may order 2 USPCP and put my lab top behind the DAC back to back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

May be a dumb question, but is there a real benefit by adding additional USPCP before the galvanic isolated (any brand) in Addition to post galvanic ? So one can get the shortest path from PC to the  galvanic device as well ? Since it is before galvanic isolation would it matter ? If it helps I may order 2 USPCP and put my lab top behind the DAC back to back.

Definitely, if you can fit everything together.  I've found the USPCB the most neutral USB chord/adapter on the market.  Also you can't beat the price.  I keep a straight and 90 degree one around at all times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×