IGNORED

Smart Playlist question

Hi all,

I haven't posted since this forum moved so hello again!

I'm hosting a barbecue on Saturday that is likely to go on well into the night, so I have compiled a playlist of approximately 10 hours of music. I want to make sure that if I need to stop the playback and start it again, I don't want to hear the same tracks already played recently.

In conclusion, I'd like to create a Smart Playlist that will only show songs that haven't been played in the last 6 hours. Unfortunately, the "Last Played not in the last" shortest option is 1 day. I considered the "Limit to XX items selected by least recently played" option, however that will mean the music will be skewed towards music I haven't listened to for the longest, which is not what I want, because that ends up grouping lots of a similar artist together and it won't feel very random. I tried entering a fraction for number of days, but it doesn't allow that.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get this to work?

Thanks!

No, you can't choose anything shorter than one day. 

But why make a smart playlist? If you have ten hours of music, just use a normal playlist. Or, set up that playlist, then make a smart playlist with Last Played is not in the last 1 day. That will drop the played tracks from the dumb playlist, and only play the ones that haven't been played yet. 

That's going to be some party. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Hi Kirk!

I've had several occasions where someone will go and stick another song on, changing the playback. This means if you return to the playlist, the shuffle resets and may play the same songs again. So I would like to use a Smart Playlist if possible to avoid this.

I could choose the "1 day" option, however I don't mind if a song repeats as long as it's not within a good few hours of its previous play. It's a shame that iTunes can't do Last Played times of less than a day because the metadata is there.

Smart Playlists are still very cool, though. :)