IGNORED

Dirac + Roon via USB?

I currently feed an UltraRendu via Roon and HQPlayer. I get room/speaker correction via an Accourate generated convolution filter. 

is there an easy way to insert Dirac into the chain as an an alternative to convolution?

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 4:37 PM, Brucemck2 said:

I currently feed an UltraRendu via Roon and HQPlayer. I get room/speaker correction via an Accourate generated convolution filter. 

is there an easy way to insert Dirac into the chain as an an alternative to convolution?

No there isn't. And why would you? Most seem to think that Acourate convolution generally sounds better than Dirac. And it's one less piece of software running that makes things less stable, etc.

17 hours ago, camott said:

No there isn't. And why would you? Most seem to think that Acourate convolution generally sounds better than Dirac. And it's one less piece of software running that makes things less stable, etc.

Accourate works well. But I find Dirac has a "less processed" sonic quality. If it was equally easy to use I'd choose Dirac. 

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

Fair enough. I have wanted to use Dirac in my chain but the fact that it runs only as a standalone application makes it tough, particularly that I now use a renderer endpoint (sms-200). I ended up using REW and creating my own convolution files for HQPlayer/Roon. Takes more effort but once running is extremely stable and sounds as good as Dirac imo.

• 3 months later...

This is the chain I run. MicroRendu -> Singxer SU-1 (USB to SPDIF converter) -> MiniDSP DDRC-22D (with Dirac Live) -> Schitt Gungnir MB (via SPDIF). This eliminates the additional software package running on your computer and also keeps Dirac completely in the digital realm eliminating any additional D/A to A/D conversions.

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

I use JRiver, not Roon, which is too limited in media types and functionality for me.  In any case, I use the Dirac VST plugin (still in Beta) with JRiver, rather than the separate Dirac Audio Processor DAP app.

So, my signal path is JRiver on the PC incorporating the VST plugin via USB to an Exasound E28 7.1 DAC via its ASIO-like PC driver.  The DAC analog output goes directly to my amps and subwoofer.  I cannot imagine a signal path much simpler than that.  It works quite well and it sounds terrific to me.

I will not throw any rocks at Acourate, which is very sophisticated and offers more controls and features than Dirac.  Dirac is simpler and more automatic. I do not see convolution via Acourate as offering a simpler signal path.   And,  ease of learning and use strongly favor Dirac.  So, since Dirac sounds so good to me with much less effort than Acourate, it has been a keeper for me for several years now.