IGNORED

Where to start?

Hello,

I am very new to Audiophile but it's something I have always been interested in. One of my friends introduced me to Schiit Audio and I like his setup a lot. I think I am going to get some similar equipment but he mainly uses headphones and I would really like the option to use speakers as well. My question is where would be a good place to start research for desktop speakers.

I currently have a pair of floor standing Focals (these were given to me) they are very nice but I think I want something different as they aren't very loud. I don't know which model they are but I can probably find out somewhere on them and it may be my receiver that is causing my issue(also given to me I believe it is a Denon).

so far I am looking at the following from Schiit audio

Gungnir Multibit 

Freya Pre-amp

Vidar amp 

Loud can mean so many things. Any speaker can be loud if it has an amp with enough wattage. I suspect what you are actually experiencing is collapsed dynamic range = boring. A sluggish power amp, poor source solution quality, choked off preamp, these can all contribute to a system with anemic transient response. So I'd suggest you "focus" on improved electronics. Schitt has a good reputation for DAC's but not what I'd look for on the analog pre/ main amp side. Do expect to spend about $2K for a quality integrated amp, more for separates

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

How about this:

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/300

More power than the Vidar.  $399. 

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

Preamp/DAC/Headphone amp $499. 

Keep your Focals which this should work well on or get other speakers.

If you just especially want desktop speakers I might suggest:

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR305-Professional-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00F1DEI8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501125201&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+lsr305

$282 per pair, and they are powered.  Combine with the Stealth DAC above and you'll have a nice system.

Now speakers are always the hardest part.  My suggestion for putting together a system is decide on speakers first and work your way backwards from there.  Speakers are different enough suggesting some without you hearing them is a little bit iffy.  So beyond your budget for this it would be good to know what speakers your friend has.  You apparently liked or were impressed by them so that is a good starting point.

Speakers first, that will let you figure out which amp compliments the speakers if the speakers are not powered.  Everything else is pretty easy.  Pre's and DACs are quite good even at lower price ranges these days. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The Schiit equipment, including the preamps and amps, are very good for the price. So is the Emotiva.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Sorry for the late response, I have a pair of Focal 814Vs I really like how they look but have to turn them up to -30.0 just to be able to hear any audio (not sure if this is normal) I don't have a Denon, I actually have a Yamaha RX-V375 powering them ATM. This setup was originally for a downstairs pool room not really geared towards a PC but they've been re purposed to do so.

Budget is roughly 4k atm

Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91.5dB. Nom. impedance 8 ohms - so they are pretty efficient.

I assume an $1,800 Focal will sound very good, so I'd keep them unless they are damaged.

Yamaha RX-V375 is 70 W/channel which seems rather low.  Yamaha makes good quality electronics, so why not see [a] if they can be bridged, or [2] if you can use a pre-out to drive a more powerful amp.

unless it is broken in some way that reduces volume output but does not distort(?)

or use it in a second system (office or bedroom, garage, etc.) or sell it

1 hour ago, Razzles said:

Sorry for the late response, I have a pair of Focal 814Vs I really like how they look but have to turn them up to -30.0 just to be able to hear any audio (not sure if this is normal) I don't have a Denon, I actually have a Yamaha RX-V375 powering them ATM. This setup was originally for a downstairs pool room not really geared towards a PC but they've been re purposed to do so.

Budget is roughly 4k atm

How are you feeding audio to the Yamaha ?  If you are feeding via a soundcard output jack the signal level is probably not high.  So turning it up pretty far would be normal.  -30 db left is plenty and as long as nothing sounds distorted. Turning it up quite a bit more should be fine.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

6 hours ago, Razzles said:

Budget is roughly 4k atm

With those speakers and sensitivity, 70W should be enough to drive them to really loud levels. There must be something wrong. Check the settings on the receiver. Maybe you have the outputs set as rear speakers in 5.1 or something?

Anyways, the Focal 814v's are NICE speakers. If you want to rid of the HT receiver and go for a really spectacular setup, you really don't need to spend so much money. My choice would be Rega Elex-R which sounded astounding in my system.

Is PC-based system what you really want? Ever consider just a standalone streamer? My recommendation would be a Bluesound or Auralic. Or, just get a decent DAC and connect it to the computer. You can tinker with it down the line if you wish.

I do have the Yamaha plugged directly into the soundcard. I'm trying to remedy this as fast as possible. Everything was well taken care of, however I do think if there were to be an issue with something it would be with the Yamaha, it used to save it's volume settings (if you turned it off then on it would remain at whatever decibel). Now when I turn it on it starts at -79.6 and I have to turn it to whichever level I find appropriate for the media I am listening to. 

I would like to keep this setup PC-based as this is where I spend most of my time and I will be living in an apartment for the next year. Moving to a different state don't want to bring a lot of stuff with me.

I am not opposed to other brands, Schiit is my only exposure into nicer audio equipment and it's really life changing compared to what I have now. I won't be making this purchase right away and 4,000 is the top of my budget. I really appreciate all of the suggestions, I am going to check all of these out while at work today, 

Those speakers are a little hot up top and fast.  I'd get something full and warm sounding to drive them.

Maybe a used McIntosh integrated.  You won't need much power.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas