• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 2:53 PM, jaaptina said:

I've got a microRendu with LPS-1. I'm in doubt between upgrading to ultraRendu or adding EITR to microRendu. Would the resulting SQ be on the same level? 

I think the usb input of my amp is of good quality because before with Aries Mini the USB and spdif inputs sounded alike. 

Now you also have the possibility of adding the new Sonore ultraDigital to the microRendu. It is more expensive than the Schiit Eitr but at least it is not out of stock! 

46 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Now you also have the possibility of adding the new Sonore ultraDigital to the microRendu. It is more expensive than the Schiit Eitr but at least it is not out of stock! 

There does not appear to be much detail about the ultraDigital to make any 'technical' comparisons with the EITR ... for the price difference, including a decent PS, it would have to 'go some' !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Maybe my understanding is incorrect (I'm not a Roon user) ... but one would still need something like a xxxRendu or SoTM to act as the endpoint with both EITR and ultraDigital.... they are both purely DDC's.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

18 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

As I understand it, the Eitr is recognised as an end point. If I have got the wrong then apologies.

I think you have got it wrong: the Eitr is a USB to SPDIF bridge like the Mutec MC-3+ USB, the Hydra Z, the various Singxer and the new ultraDigital. At least, nothing in its specs suggests that it could act as a Roon endpoint. I might be mistaken, of course. 

38 minutes ago, Charente said:

There does not appear to be much detail about the ultraDigital to make any 'technical' comparisons with the EITR ... for the price difference, including a decent PS, it would have to 'go some' !

True but we (I) do not have much details about the Eitr as well. Anyway, the driver manual published on the Sonore site suggests that the ultraDigital could be just a repackaging of a Singxer device. This would be a bit disappointing. But let's wait and see what comes out, I guess next week we will have the first pictures of what is under the hood.

10 minutes ago, nbpf said:

I think you have got it wrong: the Eitr is a USB to SPDIF bridge like the Mutec MC-3+ USB, the Hydra Z, the various Singxer and the new ultraDigital. At least, nothing in its specs suggests that it could act as a Roon endpoint. I might be mistaken, of course. 

There is a thread on the Roon forums discussing it's use as an end point...

1 minute ago, George Hincapie said:

Out of curiosity I'll take a look ... would be interesting to learn how they achieve that ... altho' I thought end-points had to be a network device ... again, I could be wrong.

Just now, George Hincapie said:

Interesting, could you please post a link to this thread? I can hardly imagine that a device that has no Ethernet interface can qualify as being called a Roon endpoint but I am curious to see in which sense a USB bridge can be called that way! Thanks, nbpf 

10 minutes ago, nbpf said:

True but we (I) do not have much details about the Eitr as well. Anyway, the driver manual published on the Sonore site suggests that the ultraDigital could be just a repackaging of a Singxer device. This would be a bit disappointing. But let's wait and see what comes out, I guess next week we will have the first pictures of what is under the hood.

There's been a certain amount of description of the EITR's design on Schiit's blogs on 'the other forum' that I've picked up previously. A 'repackaging' (or cut-down) of the SU-1 might bring it closer to a F1. From my earlier tests, an F1 needed an outboard PS like the LPS-1 to get close to the EITR ... it fell considerably short using vBus power. But, lets see what transpires.

1 minute ago, cfisher said:

You definitely can connect an Eitr directly to your computer and Roon will recognize it. Does that make it a Roon endpoint? I'm a bit confused about Roon's terminology, so  I am not sure.

Exactly. Connect your Roon server to the Eitr and it will work. Not sure how else to describe it other than an end point?!

Aahh, I see .... via USB direct. That would mean the Roon server would need to be fairly close to the audio equipment. Not ideal in my setup.

45 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

Exactly. Connect your Roon server to the Eitr and it will work. Not sure how else to describe it other than an end point?!

That would be a rather poor description, in my view. From your perspective, every USB to SPDIF bridge would be called a Roon endpoint. You can decide to call USB to SPDIF interfaces Roon endpoints, of course. But then the Mutec MC-3+ USB, the Singxers, and the new ultraDigital are also Roon endpoints! 

Sometimes it is useful to make distinctions: one can run a UPnP server and a UPnP renderer on the same computer, of course. But this does not imply that an USB to SPDIF bridge attached to that computer is a "UPnP endpoint". The same applies for the Roon protocol. For a device to be called a Roon endpoint there must be a Roon client running on that device. This is a software that communicates with Roon servers,  can be accessed by Roon control points running on mobile devices, sends requests to the servers, receives data from them and converts them to outgoing streams. Nothing like that runs on a USB to SPDIF bridge as far as I understand, included the Schiit Eitr. I might be mistaken, of course.

18 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Nothing like that runs on a USB to SPDIF bridge as far as I understand, included the Schiit Eitr. I might be mistaken, of course.

There is no Roon friendly client software on the EITR that I am aware of and I'm unsure how the Roon client-server relationship works. Following on from that, if this client is not strictly required then IMO it makes a nonsense of Roon certified devices, if one can just connect any DDC direct to the server and is recognised as such.

2 minutes ago, Charente said:

There is no Roon friendly client software on the EITR that I am aware of and I'm unsure how the Roon client-server relationship works. Following on from that, if this client is not strictly required then IMO it makes a nonsense of Roon certified devices, if one can just connect any DDC direct to the server and is recognised as such.

I am sure that one needs a Roon client to meaningfully use a Roon server. But this does not mean that server and client have to run on different machines.

One can run a UPnP server and a UPnP client on the very same device and that device would be certified for that UPnP server and for that UPnP client. No problem.

Similarly, I would expect any device that supports runnig a Roon server to also support running a Roon endpoint: the latter requires so much less computing power! 

But I have no experience with Roon, thus I might be missing something important.

Eitr, Mutec, ultraDigital, Singxer and most DDC will run on any OS X and Linux device and, with suitable drivers, on any Windows device. Whether such device runs a Roon server, a Roon endpoint, MPD, a UPnP renderer, etc. is obviously completely immaterial.

From this perspective, speaking of the Eitr as a Roon endpoint seems to make little sense.

@George Hincapie, @Charente, @nbpf,

Roon is a much different beast than DLNA/UPNP -- it's much more powerful.  The Roon architecture puts all of the control on the server (sort of like DLNA) -- Roon Bridge or Roon Ready devices (endpoints) expose what's happening on the device in a way that DLNA/UPNP devices don't.

In my case, my endpoint is a NUC running Roon Bridge.  In Roon, I can see the NUC and all of the output options for the device -- see the attached screen shot.  Roon allows you to route the signal to any of the output options on the Roon endpoint. I enabled Dirac Live as my output device because it routes the signal to the Yggy.

In an Roon ready device like a microRendu, SMS200, etc., there is only one output option (via USB), so the EITR would be shown as the only routing option. It doesn't mean that the EITR is the endpoint -- the device it's attached to is the endpoint.

Net, net Roon Bridge or a Roon ready device (like an ultraRendu, SMS200, etc.) are truly a slave to Roon Server and expose the options of the endpoint.  Very nice functionality -- it's part of what makes Roon a complete solution.

Edit:  Note that my tablet is listed is listed as a possible Roon "zone".  All possible Roon endpoints/routing options are listed and just need to be enabled.

Roon.PNG

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
6 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

@George Hincapie, @Charente, @nbpf,

Roon is a much different beast than DLNA/UPNP -- it's much more powerful.  The Roon architecture puts the burden on the server like DLNA, but Roon Bridge or Roon Ready devices expose what's happening on the device in a way that DLNA/UPNP devices don't.

In my case, my endpoint is a NUC running Roon Bridge.  In Roon, I can see the NUC and all of the output options for the device -- see the attached screen shot.  Roon allows you to route the signal to any of the output options on the Roon endpoint.  In an Roon ready device (like a microRendu, SMS200, etc.), there is only one output option (via USB), so the EITR would be shown as the only routing option.

So Roon Bridge or a Roon ready device (like an ultraRendu, SMS200, etc.) are truly a slave to Roon Server and expose the options of the endpoint.  Very nice functionality.

Roon.PNG

Very nice! Then, as I argued, there is no reasons to speak of the Eitr as of a "Roon endpoint"!

Thus, it will be interesting to see how the new Sonore ultraDigital compares to the Eitr, to the Mutec MC-3+ USB and to the Singxer given that these are all, among others, USB to SPDIF interfaces and none of them is a Roon endpoint!

4 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Very nice! Then, as I argued, there is no reasons to speak of the Eitr as of a "Roon endpoint"!

Thus, it will be interesting to see how the new Sonore ultraDigital compares to the Eitr, to the Mutec MC-3+ USB and to the Singxer given that these are all, among others, USB to SPDIF interfaces and none of them is a Roon endpoint!

You are correct -- it is not accurate to refer to the Eitr as an endpoint -- it is a routing option listed under the endpoint.  The endpoint is the device running Roon endpoint software (NUC, microRendu, SMS200, Auralic Aries, etc.)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thank-you all for clarifying.