IGNORED

Article: Sequences and Consequences

I recognized this sequence with Metallica albums in the 80's early 90's.  The exception being their first release.  All other albums contain this pattern. When they'd release a new record I could go to track 4 for the metal ballad and usually track 7 or 8 for there instrumental track.  First track was always high octane.  

When I made mix tapes back in the day, I used this pattern to keep things entertaining.  Now I know where it came from. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Very interesting. I looked at Metallica live shows on Setlist.fm!

This made since when listening to there albums.  So track one hits you in the face and track four was that ballad, then flip the album to side b, fast track again and instead of another ballad they did there instrumental.  

Of course I'm only referring to there albums not there live shows.  If I recall they do about 5-7 fast tracks before they do a metal ballad per se. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I'd be interested if someone wanted to research successful live acts from the 60's: Cream, Hendrix, the Who, etc. Did they use this pattern? Did a quick perusal of a couple of shows and I don't think they did.

The Who often played the entire "Tommy" onstage, which doesn't follow this pattern.

I'd assume these  groups were not using this pattern, b/c they improvised on stage, and not every night was a carbon copy of the previous night. So they didn't have timing down as described here. 

I also looked at some of the Beatles set lists from when they were a very successful live working act (before Beatlemania) and they weren't using this pattern.

Yet all of these acts were very successful live acts.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)