IGNORED

New to networks

Hi all

Pretty new to the idea of network audio… I’ve used my laptop in the past to feed my DAC and also a Raspberry Pi and digi + as the front end.

I’m about to buy a SoTM SMS-200 Ultra, at the moment I don’t have a wired network in my music room just wifi throughout the house which I use to control the music app. I don’t use Roon, Moode to control the Pi and Squeezelite for the SoTM.

The plan is to use the wifi once again to control Squeezelite and have my music files on a USB stick plugged into the SoTM, are there any other things / setups I should look at to maximize the potential of the SoTM?

Maybe setup the laptop in my music room as a server to feed the SoTM? If so how would I do this, plug the laptop and SoTM into a switch or router. Is it that simple or not….

Thanks in advance.

Here's everything about the sms200 - setup and possibilities are same for the ultra.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks for that, I did start reading this tread got to page 12 out of 38....... Still haven't got to network tips yet. Any mentions on networks seemed to be from or to people who knew all about this stuff..

I don't!

So really I was just being a bit lazy, I'll keep reading!

Cheers 

Here are some advices that are common knowledge to CA members:

1 lan cable is better then wifi

2 nas or server is better then USB stick

3 dedicated after market power supplies are better then stock power supplies

4 bridging the lan cable from server is better then connection to router

You can turn your laptop real easy and with no extra costs into a server. That would solve nr 2.

You can use a lan bridge from your laptop to your sms200 with a very small investment. That would solve nr 4 and partly nr 1.

For 500 euro/ dollar you can solve nr 3.

And then are are quite a few tweaks more, but I guess that's phase 2. The above will get you on the right track. You can PM me for more detailed advice, but I'm a novice compared to others here.

11 hours ago, foodfiend said:

I would say that it is easier to eliminate interference with wired Ethernet signals than with Wifi.

My Sotm sms200 is connected to a server  by Ethernet running minimserver. Even when the server is connected by WiFi it sounds less. Don't know why, but it does.