IGNORED

Block a tune from playing

You can block it from being played when you're shuffling tracks, via Get Info (on the track) --> Options.

It used to be that you could uncheck any song and iTunes wouldn't play it; but I think recent versions of iTunes have done away with the check boxes altogether. I could be wrong though.

The checkboxes are still there.

Click the check at the left of the songs name.  If checked it'll play.  If not checked it won't.  It's easiest to do when you're looking at the Songs list in your Library.

If you don't see the boxes there then from the iTunes pull-down menu select Preferences > General.  Under the Show section there is a List View Checkboxes option.  if that is unchecked then the checkboxes will be hidden in the library.

You can also uncheck songs while in playlists, but the playlist must be viewed as Songs, i.e. View > View As > Songs, to have the checkboxes are shown.

Finally, when sync'ing to a device consider "Sync only checked songs and videos" on the item's Summary page. I leave mine checked, but it's easy to imagine some would want entire albums sync'd, e.g. they'd want to have all tracks available even if they'd never want to hear a tune or two as part of their preferred playlists.

G'luck.

-Alan