IGNORED

Sonore - Audirvana Plus 3.1 Output Mode

1 minute ago, OldBigEars said:

Can someone clarify if Audirvana 3.1 works fine with Sonicorbiter 2.3?  I seem to have read different things in different places - I understood you need 2.5 ?

Initially, Jesus said A+ 3.1 requires SonicOrbiter 2.5.  Then later, he said it will work with SonicOrbiter 2.3.  Best to ask @vortecjr for a definitive answer.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

In answer to my own question....it does indeed.  Switch-over to Audirvana 3.1.4 went smoothly enough and I'm just listening to a bit of Madelaine Peyroux.  Over the coming days I'll do some comparisons between Roon and Audirvana through my set up.  Naturally, I'm already loving being back with Damien's UI - but I'll let y'all know about SQ differences, if I can hear any.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

48 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

In answer to my own question....it does indeed.  Switch-over to Audirvana 3.1.4 went smoothly enough and I'm just listening to a bit of Madelaine Peyroux.  Over the coming days I'll do some comparisons between Roon and Audirvana through my set up.  Naturally, I'm already loving being back with Damien's UI - but I'll let y'all know about SQ differences, if I can hear any.

I look forward to hearing your impressions.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@OldBigEars Good to hear you resolved the mR issues you were having ... are you still using the EITR in your chain with the mR ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

9 hours ago, Charente said:

@OldBigEars Good to hear you resolved the mR issues you were having ... are you still using the EITR in your chain with the mR ?

I am @Charente.  I wasn't going to post yet as I'm waiting to put in place a few tweaks over the next few days.  In transit to me:  Sonicorbiter 2.5, USPCB, AQ Vodka Ethernet and Coffee Coax (I got a lucky break with pricing, so it was a no-brainer).  Also, as I only have one ethernet at the moment, I'm streaming music to my mR through an Orbi wireless extender system (which is fantastic IMO). After next week I'll try connecting my MacBook to the LAN line - let's see if that's better. 

So I'm hoping that all the above tweaks result in a substantial improvement over the coming week.  And the good news is that it sounds really, really great already.  I won't make any conclusions on Roon vs A+ until I've updated my mR to 2.5 - from the past 24 hours or so, I'm really preferring Roon for its SQ.  The app still bothers me,  but it sounds delicious.  More body and refinement than A+.  But I hasten to stress that I need a lot more time to live with both.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

@Charente I meant to ask you something....  Have you experimented with comparing various power supplies (e.g. IFI vs LPS) with your mR?  Remember, according to Torq's Law, this makes no difference in front of Eitr :-)  But I'd love to hear about your experience.

5 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Please keep this thread on topic and about the A+ and not about power supply tweaks. 

I'm very much looking forward to the 2.5 update disc arriving.  

• 3 weeks later...

What are the A+ settings - or anything else in the chain - to pay attention to in order to alleviate my skipping/stuttering issues? Just now playing an sacd iso ... on-going intermittent troubles!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...

Hi JR @vortecjr

When using A+ with the ultraRendu and DSD256 upsampling, do we need to reduce the memory buffer in A+ settings?

How much memory is in the ultraRendu?

And in the case of Audirvana + DSD256 upsampling + ultraRendu, is it the Mac that is doing the upsampling or the ultraRendu? Does the ultraRendu have the power?

Cheers in advance

I can now play dsd iso, dsf64 & pcm redbook without issue - but any higher res files or upsampling is a stuttering mess. The macmini does much better than this with A+ direct into dac or with iso regen in between. Damien hasn’t really explained the fix required.

Wait for the windows A+ & get a sonic transporter I suppose ...

(Roon is good for every res file, but upsampling is an issue).

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

19 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

I can now play dsd iso, dsf64 & pcm redbook without issue - but any higher res files or upsampling is a stuttering mess. The macmini does much better than this with A+ direct into dac or with iso regen in between. Damien hasn’t really explained the fix required.

Wait for the windows A+ & get a sonic transporter I suppose ...

Same experience I'm having Jim.

So I guess this means the ultraRendu endpoint is doing the up-sampling, when using A+

If so, it makes sense that it would struggle with DSD128 up-sampling and higher, since the ultraRendu is a low powered endpoint (by design)

@vortecjr can correct me if I'm wrong

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

So I guess this means the ultraRendu endpoint is doing the up-sampling, when using A+

If so, it makes sense that it would struggle with DSD128 up-sampling and higher, since the ultraRendu is a low powered endpoint (by design)

That does not sound right at all?  The Mac should be doing all the work when using A+ to oversample, and then sending the oversampled data to the Rendu.  If there are problems when oversampling with A+, you probably need to look into the Mac and see what is going on with memory allotment and processor usage.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

13 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi JR @vortecjr

When using A+ with the ultraRendu and DSD256 upsampling, do we need to reduce the memory buffer in A+ settings?

And in the case of Audirvana + DSD256 upsampling + ultraRendu, is it the Mac that is doing the upsampling or the ultraRendu? Does the ultraRendu have the power?

Cheers in advance

Audirvana is doing the upsampling, not the ultraRendu.  The ultraRendu is strictly a renderer -- it just passes on what it is sent.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 11/10/2017 at 2:57 PM, jamesg11 said:

What are the A+ settings - or anything else in the chain - to pay attention to in order to alleviate my skipping/stuttering issues? Just now playing an sacd iso ... on-going intermittent troubles!

Yes, barrows & jcn3, hence my question above.

5 hours ago, barrows said:

That does not sound right at all?

No worries barrows - didn’t think so, hence my question :-)

I’ll ask Damien at A+ for help at the Mac side

The same Mac has no issues in terms of upsampling to DSD256 7th order with Roon - no issues with processing power.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:57 PM, jamesg11 said:

There is nothing in the Rendu that you can play with. Some of the things to look into is the computer, any switches especially if they are managed. 

On 11/21/2017 at 12:14 AM, Em2016 said:

Hi JR @vortecjr

Cheers in advance

As discussed above the Rendu is not resampling in this caes and more than capable of playing DSD256. 

On 11/21/2017 at 4:42 AM, Em2016 said:

This is not correct. In fact, the Rendu is capable of some resampling, but in this case the unit is just a receiver.

8 hours ago, vortecjr said:

As discussed above the Rendu is not resampling in this caes and more than capable of playing DSD256. 

Can the Rendu even fully buffer even a worst case DSD512 file, as well as the next track, as A+ does?

Do I need to change any of the buffer settings in A+ ? I've tried to ask Damien but no response yet.

How much RAM is in the ultraRendu?

47 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Can the Rendu even fully buffer even a worst case DSD512 file, as well as the next track, as A+ does?

Do I need to change any of the buffer settings in A+ ? I've tried to ask Damien but no response yet.

How much RAM is in the ultraRendu?

Sorry...I don't generally discuss these things. Damien has a unit so wait for him to chime in. In the mean time you can describe your network....wifi, switches, router, etc.   

On 11/21/2017 at 4:12 PM, Em2016 said:

No worries barrows - didn’t think so, hence my question :-)

I’ll ask Damien at A+ for help at the Mac side

The same Mac has no issues in terms of upsampling to DSD256 7th order with Roon - no issues with processing power.

Note that ROON's oversampling algorithms are far simpler, and use much less processor power and memory than  A+ (can be depending on A+ filter settings) to achieve the same level of oversampling.

SONORE computer audio

5 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

In the mean time you can describe your network....wifi, switches, router, etc.   

Very simple network. No WiFi.

Gigabit modem/router > Netgear gigabit GS108 switch > ultraRendu

As mentioned the same chain has no issues with Roon doing the same thing - upsampling to DSD256 7th order.

But with A+ it even struggles with DSD128. So I wonder if it's a RAM thing, which is why I asked about the Rendu's RAM.

Roon doesn't buffer a track in memory like A+ does.