IGNORED

Enjoying HDPlex H5 2nd gen and 400W ATX PSU

Hello everybody! 1st of all I have to introduce one of the best solutions all over the world to build your own Music Server - it's a HDPlex H5 computer case and ATX-compatible fantastic PSU which covers all you needs I think.

I have to explain some moments before story begins. Some time ago I have used my ordinary home computer to listen my favorite music and setup was:

PC with Sotm tX-USBexp USB PCI-E card connected to clock board sCLK-xxxx with Windows 10x64

I have used an hiFace Two - M2Tech (BNC) powered via D.I.Y. adapter from cheap China linear PSU.

For that moment my DAC was Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit and I was enjoyed quality of this setup at all.

Than I moved to Audiobyte Hydra converter and plan was to upgrade power for Hydra and Sotm+clock.

I have ordered THREE PSU at 2 cases - one 5V/5A for Hydra and second 2-in-1 was 9V/3A+9V/2A.

1244O_EIZa8.jpg

The main thing a have to say is:
If you do not use linear power to your 'audio server' or at least USB board plus audio converter (if you using it!) - you are  downgrade overall sound quality dramatically! In my case - it was previosly powered an audio converter (Hydra with separate 5V/5A linear PSU), separately powered USB-controller (9V/3A linear PSU) and clock generator (still separately powered with 3rd linear PSU to divide power source from USB to it's clock generator) and step to SSD and ATX powered MB was not so 'fantastic' but upgrade overall purity and micro dynamics of sound!

I like the H5 case.  But it's overkill for a bitperfect mobo.  Although you could use it to house separate components like HDD's and sCLK EX board.  

I prefer a smaller mobo, like a NUC or Pico-ITX, which the H5 does not work for, way over kill.

Then there is power supply.  I was not impressed with the ATX HDPlex.  The 300W version was a disaster.  Hopefully they did better with the 400W new version.  I've moved on to a Paul Hynes SR7 direct 12V DC for my NUC.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

My setup is:

1) HDPlex H5 2nd Gen + 400W linear PSU, ASRock B75 Pro3-M/PL MB, Inter Core [email protected], 2x4 RAM, 120Gb Kingston UV300 SSD, SotM PCI-E USB controller plus SotM sCLK (upgraded with Jentzen Audio Silver capacitors and Tamura transformers and some more secret upgrades from well known Moscow microelectronic master!)

2) Audiobyte Hydra Z+ iPurifier2 audio converter plus USB purifier dongle

3)Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC

4)Fluxlab Acoustics KGBH SE electrostatic amplifier

5)Perun electrostatic headphnes (2017 year 4th generation 'ash' version)

Cables are:

Synergistic Active USB SE with grey 'bullet'.

Y.P.Labs Master Gold Edition cryo XLR interconnects

Y.P.Labs INWARDNESS Gold Edition power cords

Fluxlab Acoustics 1800W/220V+500W/115V power system

6 minutes ago, vvar10ck said:

Why?

Voltages we're off.  The adjustable output failed.  Motherboard video would fail at times.  Overall it sounded poor, to be kind.  

I then used the 100W HDPlex DC PS with the Hi-fi ATX board and it was much better, but not great.  Sounded okay.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Very strange coz 400W version sounds absolutely (at minimum) the same as my upgraded D.I.Ys (based on Beta22 cards) described above. Yes, it's hot - PSU case is aprox.60C hot when loaded (but it's 400W, don't forget it!). Overall sound quality suits me at all.

I don't need 400W these days.  Way overkill for 6W CPU mobo, and I would never use a HD Plex for anything but a mobo.  Not the best measured PS.  Average linear PS at best.

Congrats on the HDPlex equipment. Not sure why anybody would want to come here and crap on your post, oh well. Despite what some people say they're perfect for some applications. Larry makes good equipment. I use the same case, it's a work of art. and works well if you need the space. 

47 minutes ago, kilroy said:

Congrats on the HDPlex equipment. Not sure why anybody would want to come here and crap on your post, oh well. Despite what some people say they're perfect for some applications. Larry makes good equipment. I use the same case, it's a work of art. and works well if you need the space. 

Not trying to crap on his post, but after 16 posts straight by the op it needed a little coming back to Earth.  It is a viable option, thanks for sharing.  Just making sure others (especially newbies) who read it are aware of other options and problems from this one from my experience.