IGNORED

10 grand - what set up would you recommend?

I apologize if I have been vague @BigAlMc. This is new territory for me so I am not sure what parameters to use. But yes, I am looking for storage and server in a Roon environment. If its a One Box - great. If its a Two box solution - I will manage that too. But 6 boxes will be tighter to fit even though I appreciate the tips to hide the gizmos behind other equipment. 

I can see the pros for an "all in" set up with multiple boxes i order to tune the system as I go along and things evolve. At the same time I see this as a Con. It has taken me 1 year to tweak my turntable into the machine it is today.

The last two weeks I have spent listening to 4 different Sylodyne "cushions" to find the one that best suited my TT and cabinet. 

But on the other hand, if I get the feeling that a computer based system has a chance to perform on par with the vinyl rig or above - I will happily invest the same amount of hours to maximize its performance. 

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

14 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

I suspect that one of the reasons so many, like myself, end up with the 6 box solution is the relatively low prices and ability to incrementally add to or tweak such set ups.

That was my initial path. Then I looked at the price tags and added the up the components. And where I live - it is about 1000 Euro diff.

An Antipodes DX  4 TB costs 8 900 €.

Ethernet cable 400 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro

OR

Nucleus i7 - 1700 Euro

4 GB SSD - 1500 Euro

SOtM sPS-500 PSU for Nucleus - 700 Euro

Ethernet cable 400 Euro

SOtM 200 Ultra - 1400 Euro

SOtM sPS-500 PSU w Y-conector - 900 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro

tX USBultra reclocker -1000 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro

TOTAL: 8400 Euro

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

"An Antipodes DX  4 TB costs 8 900 €.

Ethernet cable 400 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro"

If you store everything on the Antipodes and dont run Tidal or something like that I would save the 400 Euro on the ethernet cable and buy some vinyl records instead :)

We have talked about this alot on Euphonia forum and as this is hard to test these so different systems without buying the stuff.

Separating the core and endpoint will make it easy to upgrade in the future but as you say involve more stuff in the chain compared to a one box solution. 

I would try to keep it simple @bigblue to begin with and try out Roon so you know that this is something for you.

I talked to Marcus at Perfect sense in Stockholm who sells Innuos and I think it will be possible to lend one with Roon.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
On 7/22/2017 at 6:15 PM, Ralf11 said:

my bet is you will need to update any DAC within 3-4 years, given the pace of evolution in design

I respectfully disagree with this. I have a Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC that I purchased in 2008. I'd still be using it today, if I didn't have access to the Alpha DAC RS2, dCS Rossini and others. 

New DAC chips don't equal better sound. New USB interface designs can equal better sound, but separating the USB interface from the DAC can make it easy to upgrade one part of the system without upgrading the DAC. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@bigblue How much music do you need to store?

Thats a good question @The Computer Audiophile. As of now with my ripped CDs 1 TB would do. Adding 1 TB to that future purchases mainly high res music (96/24 and above). So 2 TB minimum is my guess. 

15 hours ago, octaviars said:

"An Antipodes DX  4 TB costs 8 900 €.

Ethernet cable 400 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro"

If you store everything on the Antipodes and dont run Tidal or something like that I would save the 400 Euro on the ethernet cable and buy some vinyl records instead :)

We have talked about this alot on Euphonia forum and as this is hard to test these so different systems without buying the stuff.

Separating the core and endpoint will make it easy to upgrade in the future but as you say involve more stuff in the chain compared to a one box solution. 

I would try to keep it simple @bigblue to begin with and try out Roon so you know that this is something for you.

I talked to Marcus at Perfect sense in Stockholm who sells Innuos and I think it will be possible to lend one with Roon.

Thank you @octaviars for your saving tips but I feel not taking advantage of Tidal would be a loss for me. I browse a lot to find new music. But choosing a less expensive USB to WWW would also give me some extra coins for vinyl. :) 

Trying out an Innous would be a great start in my journey. It would give me a good opportunity to play with the software and to hear how it compares to my cd-transport. It will have to beat it fair & square in order for me to move on. The convenience of not having to swap CDs is not enough for me to make the transition. For that kind of money I want the full SQ improvement.

On 7/24/2017 at 2:44 AM, bigblue said:

Nucleus i7 - 1700 Euro

4 GB SSD - 1500 Euro

SOtM sPS-500 PSU for Nucleus - 700 Euro

Ethernet cable 400 Euro

SOtM 200 Ultra - 1400 Euro

SOtM sPS-500 PSU w Y-conector - 900 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro

tX USBultra reclocker -1000 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro

TOTAL: 8400 Euro

Interesting. Made me stop and think. Actually made me stop and think, shit I coulda bought an Antipodes!! :S

The maths doesn't stack up in my case though. And that's with a complicated setup:

MicroRendu   £660
LPS-1   £425
LPS-1   £425
ISO Regen    £325
SU-1   £400
Audiostore Prestige2 with 1TB SSD  £1500

So even with fancypants cables still closer to 4k than 8k. And again it was the incremental additions that ramped this up. I certainly didn't set out with the intention of adding a DDC (the SU-1) or a UBS reclocker (the ISO Regen). These were impulse purchases added later.

Your case is different by the sounds of things as you want to go 'all in' with whatever route you choose.

Am afraid I can't help here as it comes down to choosing what suits you best. The flexibility to modify and tweak if you go the multi-component route vs the aesthetically more pleasing single box (and perhaps the peace of mind of knowing that someone else has done all the configuration to get the one box sounding sweet). It's a personal choice one mate.

One thing I can add that's not categorical. Roon with Tidal rocks :x The ability to browse and find new music. To audition stuff before perhaps buying. And just the way the two integrate are awesome and add so much to the digital experience.

For the USB cable check out this thread on the new Lush cable. I took the plunge and it's great. And was just shy of 300 euro including VAT and shipping:

Happy hunting and let us know how you get on with whatever you decide. Should be an enjoyable journey.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 7/21/2017 at 5:33 PM, bigblue said:

I am about to take my first steps down the Hard drive based Avenue of Music.

• I am interested in a Roon based system. 
  • SOtM 200 Ultra or Sonore UltraRendu would be very interesting but the total number of boxes, 6 in total (NUC+PS, NAA+PS, Reclocker+PS) will not fit my rack.
  • If SQ would improve I would not hesitate to go with a Nucleus w music library feeding the endpoint. 
  • I want to minimize the risk of having "issues" with the set up (drop outs, pops and cracks).
  • The converter to be fed is the built in DAC of the Gryphon Diablo 300. It accepts S/PDIF as well as USB and AES/EBU.

Where would you suggest I go looking with a 8-10 k USD budget?

So far I have only 2 contenders on the list: Innous Zenith Mk II and Antipodes DX.

Would you say such a "one box solution" is a big compromise and the above mentioned 6-box set up would be far superior?

8 hours ago, bigblue said:

Thats a good question @The Computer Audiophile. As of now with my ripped CDs 1 TB would do. Adding 1 TB to that future purchases mainly high res music (96/24 and above). So 2 TB minimum is my guess. 

Hi bigblue - My recommendation is to start simple. If you go the Innuos route, that may be all you ever need. I used and listened to one in Munich this year. I was impressed. I'm supposed to have a review unit on the way, but it has been a couple months in the making and I have no clue what's up. 

If you go the route of a Roon core sending audio to an endpoint, I highly recommend starting simple there as well. If the core can be placed outside the listening room, I'd pick up a NUC ( see my article here ) and a Rendu or sMS, and start listening. Don't go wild for all the pieces until you have a baseline. Who knows, you may not need any extra boxes. 

Either route would place one single component in your rack, and the Roon core anywhere in your house as long as it's on the network. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

34 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Don't go wild for all the pieces until you have a baseline

That would be also be my tip....get a NUC with ROCK and a desent endpoint to begin with. If you really only want one box in the rack and no seperate PSU the Sonore Signature Rendu would be a good choice. But a microRendu/ultraRendu/SMS-200 with a LPS-1 PSU and a small energizer PSU will not take up much space.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Thanks for all the helpful tips and input. Much appreciated. 

Next step is to try one unit in my system to get a reference. 

As it is now I have no clue if X is  "good enough" or if Y is what I need to beat the CD transport. 

Will let you know how things proceed.

CA,

Why did you erase my post?

Did i write something i should not?

I was only asking for suggestions regarding experiences of the users in this forum

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, thyname said:

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Cary Audio DMS-500. It checks all the boxes, MQA, Roon Ready, good DAC, Preamp (for connecting it directly to Amp without another Preamp), can hook up subwoofers (up to two).

Any reason I shouldn't?

It all depends on your goals. Some people like to split functionality into separate boxes, making upgrades a bit less expensive and easier. 

Others want an all in one and call it a day. 

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

It all depends on your goals. Some people like to split functionality into separate boxes, making upgrades a bit less expensive and easier. 

Others want an all in one and call it a day. 

I got sick and tired of my current Spaghetti solution. FYI - using three Ultracap LPS-1s just to give you an idea. All the tweaks, wires, and stuff is driving me crazy. I am about to sell them all an get one device (rather two if you include my headphones Amp - GS-X MKII), and call it a day.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Then you should be pretty set with that unit :~)

Or with one of the below?

Ayre QX-5 Twenty
PS Audio Directstream w/ Network Bridge II built in
DEQX HDP-5
DEQX PreMate+
Krell Vanguard Universal DAC

They are all Roon Ready, and direct to Amp (volume control / preamp).

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, thyname said:

Or with one of the below?

Ayre QX-5 Twenty
PS Audio Directstream w/ Network Bridge II built in
DEQX HDP-5
DEQX PreMate+
Krell Vanguard Universal DAC

They are all Roon Ready, and direct to Amp (volume control / preamp).

Thoughts?

I have considered the PS Audio Directstream DAC with Network Bridge II more than a few times......I would still use a preamp before the amp though.