IGNORED

10 grand - what set up would you recommend?

I am about to take my first steps down the Hard drive based Avenue of Music.

• I am interested in a Roon based system. 
  • SOtM 200 Ultra or Sonore UltraRendu would be very interesting but the total number of boxes, 6 in total (NUC+PS, NAA+PS, Reclocker+PS) will not fit my rack.
  • If SQ would improve I would not hesitate to go with a Nucleus w music library feeding the endpoint. 
  • I want to minimize the risk of having "issues" with the set up (drop outs, pops and cracks).
  • The converter to be fed is the built in DAC of the Gryphon Diablo 300. It accepts S/PDIF as well as USB and AES/EBU.

Where would you suggest I go looking with a 8-10 k USD budget?

So far I have only 2 contenders on the list: Innous Zenith Mk II and Antipodes DX.

Would you say such a "one box solution" is a big compromise and the above mentioned 6-box set up would be far superior?

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

For that sort of money I'm sure you have plenty options. 

I'd lean towards the Antipodes but you want to listen to them before committing that kind of cash. 

Not sure but didn't think the Innuos servers do Roon out of the box. But could be wrong. Antipodes have put a lot of work into Roon compatibility. 

Depending on how much space you have on your rack then perhaps the new Signature Rendu (power supply and ultraRendu in one rack size box) and a server would be an option. 

My only other suggestion would be research which input format your DAC is best with and factor that into your final choice. 

Happy hunting! 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

I would consider the following:

- high end NAS running Roon Core and storing your music.

- DCS network bridge, Roon Ready, network in, digital out. 

- Ipad Pro as control point.

you will end up with one additional  box in your rack; and no extra reclockers, isolators, power supplies needed.

this should also be South of 10k$

Hi @Madra

Yeah that DCS network bridge is interesting. Good shout. 

Could go for the likes of the QNAP HS-251+ and a 1TB SSD or 2. I have one of these and it's rack friendly, silent and capable of running Roon core. 

Or partner the DCS a more powerful NAS, possibly out of the listening room connected with ethernet or fibre. 

I'm sure a shoot out between the Antipodes DX and the DCS bridge & NAS would be interesting! 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

+1 on the dCS network bridge for AES/EBU, and paired with Nucleus or ROCK.

For USB, I would recommend the following components paired with Nucleus/Roon:

SOtM tx-USB ultra (with Master clock connection) $1200

Mutec Ref-10 Reference Master Clock €3598

Paul Hynes SR7 configured to power Roon server and SOtM device.

& Lush cable :D

I read somewhere that the DCS bridge will be able to output via USB with a forthcoming  firmware update.

A Usb solution generally requires upgraded supplies, clocks... resulting in multiple boxes and cables. I find something like the DCS bridge to provide a more elegant solution.

18 minutes ago, Madra said:

I missed that usb limitation. Thanks for the update.

that said, I would not bother with USB if I can have a good SPDIF signal. 

I think it comes down (to a large extent anyway) what input the Ops DAC performs best with. 

I have the PS Audio Directstream and as per its designer, Ted Smith, it's optimal input is I2S. I invested in an I2S input (SU-1 over HDMI) and it was money very well spent. 

Big thank you for all the input. 

Will try to find out what Gryphon suggests as the primary way to connect the DAC. 

I have heard a lot of good things about the DCS Bridge, but if it only will feed DCS DACs....

If would go with the option of having Roon running on a separate NUC together with the music library, I would like to place the NUC in another room. In order to connect the NUC I would have to go: NUC > Ethernet > Switch > Ethernet (in wall) > Switch > Ethernet > NAA. Would this increase the risk of sonic issues such as drop outs?

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

if $10k includes speakers, etc. you may want some Schiit for the front end

No, speakers I have (Amati Futura). But the 10k should include all cables, PSU, reclockers, software etc. 

5 minutes ago, bigblue said:

I have heard a lot of good things about the DCS Bridge, but if it only will feed DCS DACs....

I read one good thing written here in CA that got me interested. Sounds good with the Berkeley :) 

There's the Audiostream article, who goes on to 'buy' one to pair with his TotalDAC.

But I understand that legacy dCS DAC owners will likely get the greatest benefit due to the dual AES/EBU connection. 

Yes, I had a quick read through. What did you have in mind?

dunno - I am still wondering if my power needs to be conditioned...

if so, the Q was suggested as mid-priced but high quality all in one solution, while the used Topazes seem to be the DIYer choice

good things have been said about Shunyata as well...

OK, and in what way did that contribute to the topic here?

Aurender A10 would be my choice. Beautiful flagship AK DACs in dual differential mode, Roon Ready and stunning to look at and listen to it (if the reviews are accurate).

Otherwise, as a two box solution, perhaps the Metrum Parvane and the Lumin U1?

Good luck with whatever you decide - I'm in a similar place at the moment, albeit with a smaller budget, and it isn't easy to decide.

Thank you @George Hincapie. As I already have a great 7000 USD DAC in the Diablo 300 I will not need another one. In my case the N100 would be a smarter choice. But as I stated in my opening post I would like to run Roon. And so far Aurender stick to their OS.

Otherwise they make some excellent products and could easily live with a N10 :-)

my bet is you will need to update any DAC within 3-4 years, given the pace of evolution in design

nor does it appear that all problems are either known or implemented

but assuming future funding will not be an issue, maybe I can put your question as:

"what is the best configuration of components to add the ability to run Roon to an existing high-end system?"

- how does that sound?

Sounds great!

And if the majority here at CA appoints a 6 box set up as the optimum solution. At least I know where to aim - even if it will not fit in my present set up.

2 hours ago, bigblue said:

Thank you @George Hincapie. As I already have a great 7000 USD DAC in the Diablo 300 I will not need another one. In my case the N100 would be a smarter choice. But as I stated in my opening post I would like to run Roon. And so far Aurender stick to their OS.

Otherwise they make some excellent products and could easily live with a N10 :-)

Apologies, I thought Aurender was Roon Ready...

In that case, how about the newly announced Sonore unit: http://www.sonore.us/signature-rendu-se.html just connect to your DAC via USB and you'll struggle to better that TBH.

6 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

In that case, how about the newly announced Sonore unit: http://www.sonore.us/signature-rendu-se.html just connect to your DAC via USB and you'll struggle to better that TBH.

I had read the Ops question about the one box solution and is that a big compromise as meaning that they need a server and storage as well. The Signature looks good but it's a high spec end-point and won't run Roon core or host the files. 

@bigblue can you confirm you're looking for storage & server to provide Roon into your DAC? 

I suspect that one of the reasons so many, like myself, end up with the 6 box solution is the relatively low prices and ability to incrementally add to or tweak such set ups. I mean as opposed to the far higher entry point of the Antipodes DX you mentioned. Whether the 6 box setup beats the Antipodes for SQ is a far harder question. Antipodes are well renouned for putting a lot of intensive effort into SQ because everything matters and even more so in a one box solution. 

The DCS is also in that premium bracket but you'd still need the music files stored on a NAS or server. 

Just one other point and I hope this doesn't sound condescending but most of the 6 box solution sits behind the rack or often behind other equipment on the rack. The Microrendu is tiny. Likewise the UpTone Audio LPS-1 is pretty small. In my setup the the two LPS-1 sit behind my Directstream DAC and are only visible if you peek round the side. The Microrendu literally floats behind the rack suspended by the ethernet and USB cables going in and out of it. Again only visible if you look for it. And my SU-1 sits proudly on top of my DAC. So it's the only visible item taking up rack space from the front. 

Of course there's also a server. Currently a NAS but I'm awaiting a replacement (the Audiostore Prestige 2). I'm going to put this on the rack as there is room but could also tuck it behind the rack. Or even out of sight or indeed the room with a run of fibre. 

None of this is to dissuade you from your one box preference if that remains your preference. Just saying that a lot of the "6 box" solutions are more like accessories than full rack shelf items. Tho before I incur any wrath I'm pretty sure some people will give the 6 boxes pride of place and prominent rack space. Plenty options for sure. 

Cheers, 

Alan