IGNORED

Another major look at MQA by another pro.

I don't need to read it to know this (the very article) has all been dealt with in CA, extensively.

Not sure what to think about it, actually.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

17 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

My advice to Mr Ebaen is to stay objective. He is not that now. Not wise.

Explain objective dear compatriot. And don't you think that Ebaen might have seen more than one vendor having mailed him on MQA, the technical merits, the licensing issues and the general lack of dissenting voices?

If somebody like him comes out and goes against well funded and entrenched players he sure has some more backing.

It might be wise to hear this people out and force Bob and the lot to address the issues raised.

4 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Just read this article on Digital Audio Review shared by Srajen Ebaen of 6moons.
Very interesting to say the least.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/07/kih-46-mqas-missing-link/

Best.
Mev

By Pro you mean professional marketeer? 

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 hours ago, semente said:

By Pro you mean professional marketeer? 

I mean as someone in the business of making rather than just listening.
At the end of the day most topics discussed here involve hardware/software produced/marketed by people.

I don't know the music server guy, Srajen shared his email, and I thought what he said was interesting enough to share here. That's all.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

6 minutes ago, mcgillroy said:

Indeed - but have you read the mail?!

Isn't it the same as what was posted here?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/33766-upsampling-mqa-files-to-original-resolution-with-sox-will-sound-like-the-original-resolution/

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

15 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I hadn't seen this, sorry for the repeat.
I'd assume that Stjane hadn't seen the above discussion either,  he probably thought only he received this mail.

Anyway, Chris or I can always delete the post if it's causing confusion.
I don't know what would be the best practice.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

7 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Yep - same observations about the possible filter-behavior of MQA.

Difference is a.) it's a vendor, who b.) put his proper name behind it, c.) agreed to have it published in a publication, d.) found an editor having the balls to do so.

The CA Forum has emerged as an epicenter of MQA-research but this debate needs more participants and especially needs to move beyond fora. With the technical details that Soxr, Mansr, Archimago and others have uncovered in the past weeks the debate is entering a new phase.

Firstly the audiophile website publishers will have to make up their mind how to deal with the presence of this information. Will they simply keep rewriting MQA press releases and lip-sync the big press, will they steer clear of the whole thing, or dare to engage in the debate?!

Secondly vendors now can speak more openly without feared being hit with a lawsuit for breaking NDAs. Yes Soxr was first with this but notice that two weeks later a vendor comes out and tells us that not only he has come to a similar insight, he also tells us that Aureliac obviously did too. Without having seen the MQA NDAs I am pretty certain this wouldn't have happened if Soxrs and Mansrs/Archimagos material on the filter-topologies wasn't public already.

So this post by Ebaen might indeed been less work than rewriting a press release. But its a sign of something shifting. It gives the increasingly solid research into the questionable merits of MQA more exposure and the more people talk and ask questions the better.

It will be interesting to see if, when & how MQA reacts.

Major point, which is not often expanded upon, is the claim that MQA screws up DSP.  If true, that is a big fly in the ointment.   DSP is the future.  MQA, maybe not so much?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

21 minutes ago, mcgillroy said:

Yep - same observations about the possible filter-behavior of MQA.

Difference is a.) it's a vendor, who b.) put his proper name behind it, c.) agreed to have it published in a publication, d.) found an editor having the balls to do so.

The CA Forum has emerged as an epicenter of MQA-research but this debate needs more participants and especially needs to move beyond fora. With the technical details that Soxr, Mansr, Archimago and others have uncovered in the past weeks the debate is entering a new phase.

Firstly the audiophile website publishers will have to make up their mind how to deal with the presence of this information. Will they simply keep rewriting MQA press releases and lip-sync the big press, will they steer clear of the whole thing, or dare to engage in the debate?!

Secondly vendors now can speak more openly without feared being hit with a lawsuit for breaking NDAs. Yes Soxr was first with this but notice that two weeks later a vendor comes out and tells us that not only he has come to a similar insight, he also tells us that Aureliac obviously did too. Without having seen the MQA NDAs I am pretty certain this wouldn't have happened if Soxrs and Mansrs/Archimagos material on the filter-topologies wasn't public already.

So this post by Ebaen might indeed been less work than rewriting a press release. But its a sign of something shifting. It gives the increasingly solid research into the questionable merits of MQA more exposure and the more people talk and ask questions the better.

It will be interesting to see if, when & how MQA reacts.

My post was just a snide comment about lazy journalists. I'll remember the smiley next time. :)

P.S. I'm on your side. I think MQA is a major step back in audio technology.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Thx soxr for setting the record straight! It's good to know where credit is due and have timeline of events. I follow MQA off and on and sometimes miss parts of the discussion.

Because of possible NDA repercussions I deliberately didn't infer in my post that you are the same person quoted in the Ebaen part ;)

It's indeed time to deblur MQA. It would be great to have a similar report from you as Xivero published. Doesn't need to be 40+ pages but a more formal PDF putting together above's timeline and the main findings so far certainly would be helpful.

2 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

Major point, which is not often expanded upon, is the claim that MQA screws up DSP.  If true, that is a big fly in the ointment.   DSP is the future.  MQA, maybe not so much?

I agree.  This is the biggest issue that prevents me from considering MQA as anything other than a curiousity. 

8 hours ago, mansr said:

The other option is software decoding. This produces a 96/24 PCM stream to which DSP can be reasonably applied. Doing so will incapacitate any downstream renderer, but that's actually a good thing.

At least the strange MQA filters being applied in the renderer phase will not be used by going for the software route and doing just the first unfold.

So this part is basically a dynamic range limited baseband signal (because MQA uses 9 bits for the lossy HF part, encoded as hissing in the baseband signal) + recovered lossy ultrasonics mixed together.

I should still do the test how much diff can be heard between first unfold + sox minimum phase vs undecoded MQA + sox minimum phase.

Thanks to your work we can now dissect all parts of MQA and listen / evaluate each part. The black box is being deblurred part by part ;)

48 minutes ago, soxr said:

At least the strange MQA filters being applied in the renderer phase will not be used by going for the software route and doing just the first unfold.

So this part is basically a dynamic range limited baseband signal (because MQA uses 9 bits for the lossy HF part, encoded as hissing in the baseband signal) + recovered lossy ultrasonics mixed together.

I should still do the test how much diff can be heard between first unfold + sox minimum phase vs undecoded MQA + sox minimum phase.

Thanks to your work we can now dissect all parts of MQA and listen / evaluate each part. The black box is being deblurred part by part ;)

Undecoded MQA has additional noise that isn't part of the encoded upper band. It's just shaped dither from a specific pseudo-random number generator, and the first thing the decoder does is to reverse it. This noise is what gives the characteristic hump in the spectrum from 15 kHz and up.

21 minutes ago, labjr said:

Is there some benefit to this upsampling and custom filters other than decoding MQA files? Because I don't plan to use Tidal or buy MQA files.

The thing that worries many people is that if MQA becomes "the standard", you won't be able to avoid using it.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.