IGNORED

iPad 2017 to DAC

Hi to all.

I have a 2017 iPad and the lightning to USB 3 camera adapter.

I was able to connect it with my DAC but it seems that it plays only standard resolution.

It converts the higher resolution files I am playing to 44.1

I used Jet player and foobar2000 witch are supposed to play hi-Rez if I am not wrong.

My DAC is the one in my signature.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you.

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

I think the camera adapter only allows up to 24/96.  Check your settings on the phone, with Jet player or within Foobar to make sure it's not automatically converting it to 44.1

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

6309486.jpg

I'd be surprised if that were the case, although my version of this set-up is much older and I guess it could have have changed for the worse?

I use a now ancient iPad 2, iOS6, and the old 30-pin CCK. It plays all PCM though 24-bit/352.8kHz and even DSD64 through the Onkyo HF Player app. The app displays that as the resolution being sent to the DAC, and the DAC's sample rate LEDs confirm it.

The only additional requirement is the pictured external power source, the iPad won't give up more than 99mA and that DAC requires much more juice than that, so a y-split cable and 5v USB battery are needed to make it work. Other DACs requiring less juice won't need the external battery.

So I'd have to agree with the previous post that this is likely due to an app setting, unless iOS has taken a huge step backwards with regard to USB audio through the CCK since iOS6.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

3 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I think the camera adapter only allows up to 24/96.  Check your settings on the phone, with Jet player or within Foobar to make sure it's not automatically converting it to 44.1

Than you all for the replies!!

I don't know about that limitation but I have checked the settings of the apps and they are OK!

Anyway even 24/96 are showing as 44,1 to the DAC

51 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

I'm using an iPad Air iOS 10.3.x, Onkyo HF Player, lightning to USB A cable to Oppo HA2 DAC / amp and get DSD128.  Don't know for sure, but would expect the CCK to do that also.  It's just a connector changer.

You mean that you are not using the CCK to connect to the DAC?

May be I must get the Onkyo player too! :(

There is no iPad version of the app and I do not like the GUI !!

-------------

As for power the newest CCK has lightining input so you can charge the iPad too and give the extra power needed to the hardware connected to it!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

15 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

May be I must get the Onkyo player too! :(

There is no iPad version of the app and I do not like the GUI !!

No CCK.  Oppo has USB A connection so only need 30 pin or lightning to USB A cable.  Does your statement above mean that you think there is no Onkyo app for iPad?

5 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

No CCK.  Oppo has USB A connection so only need 30 pin or lightning to USB A cable.  Does your statement above mean that you think there is no Onkyo app for iPad?

Yes... The last time I checked there were no results for iPad. Only for iPhone

2 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

Yes... The last time I checked there were no results for iPad. Only for iPhone

I checked the iTunes Store just now and it doesn't show!  Very weird because I just updated it today.  I went to Onkyousa.com and went to the Mobile Apps section.  There it shows it for iOS with a link to the Apple Store and voila, there it was.  Try that and let us know. 

6 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

I checked the iTunes Store just now and it doesn't show!  Very weird because I just updated it today.  I went to Onkyousa.com and went to the Mobile Apps section.  There it shows it for iOS with a link to the Apple Store and voila, there it was.  Try that and let us know. 

As I told you before it shows only for iPhone 

if you have set "iPad only" to the App Store it does not

i have downloaded it (the free version to start) and while it is not the most beautiful GUI for iPad I will try it... 

thank you you all for your replies

is there any other player that does the job and it is as good as the onkyo?

Has anyone tried this?

A high resolution music player - NePLAYER
https://appsto.re/gr/-DV15.i

or this

KaiserTone - Audio Player (HiRes)
https://appsto.re/gr/haZoR.i

25 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Why don't you try something for yourself instead of looking to others to do it for you. 

You wont listen.  Many of us are using the Onkyo player on iPad.  

Because buying all those apps without being sure they will play my hirez files is something I do not want to do!

The free versions of the apps are not full featured!!

I bought jet player thinking that it can do the job.

OK the Onkyo is the safest buy, but there are other apps out there optimized for iPad so I am asking about them.

But this is the purpose of a forum NO?

Changing opinions and giving help to people if you can... if anyone has or wants to share something he does. I don't understand your question...

8 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

Has anyone tried this?

A high resolution music player - NePLAYER
https://appsto.re/gr/-DV15.i

or this

KaiserTone - Audio Player (HiRes)
https://appsto.re/gr/haZoR.i

Don't know NePLAYER.

Otherwise I think I know almost all HiRes players for iOS, including Onkyo HF player.

Kaisertone was my standard player for quite a while.

Lot's of features, easy to use. Great player!

Overall better definition than Onkyo HF IMO.

I've switched to ST-1 some time ago -> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sigmatunes-st-1-dsd-flac-player/id1197834627?mt=8

IMHO the upsamler in ST-1 is superior over Kaisertone (better grip and texture in the bass section).

ST-1 offers a free version to try it out. Fully functional but playback is limited to 1 minute for each song (which, of course, is suffficient for a trial).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sigmatunes-st-1-dsd-flac-player-free/id1197859227?mt=8

I use(d) these apps in conjunction with a Beyerdynamic A200p and an Oppo HA-2 SE on different iPhones and iPads. No issues at all.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

4 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

Don't know NePLAYER.

Otherwise I think I know almost all HiRes players for iOS, including Onkyo HF player.

Kaisertone was my standard player for quite a while.

Lot's of features, easy to use. Great player!

Overall better definition than Onkyo HF IMO.

I've switched to ST-1 some time ago -> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sigmatunes-st-1-dsd-flac-player/id1197834627?mt=8

IMHO the upsamler in ST-1 is superior over Kaisertone (better grip and texture in the bass section).

ST-1 offers a free version to try it out. Fully functional but playback is limited to 1 minute for each song (which, of course, is suffficient for a trial).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sigmatunes-st-1-dsd-flac-player-free/id1197859227?mt=8

I use(d) these apps in conjunction with a Beyerdynamic A200p and an Oppo HA-2 SE on different iPhones and iPads. No issues at all.

Thank you so much.. I will try it for sure!!!

Well I've tried ST-1 player.

It is the only one that changes sample rate to my DAC.

It plays DSD (DoP) normally BUT it changes the SR of hi-Rez files to 48KHz.

I tried 192 and 96KHz and they are changed.

Also in settings in the "DAC preferred SR" there is only 88,2 as an option. And if I set "fixed dac output" also changes everything to 88,2

And this is the same even if I do not have my dac connected!

So strange...